• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver/Auto pistol

SA John

Banned
Does it seem to anyone else that the number of people shooting revolvers of any type has gone down (even more) in the past several years? We've been having steel plate shoots up at Original Bob's Tactical in Salisbury on Wednesday nights, and of the 20-40 shooters attracted, only 2-3 shoot revolver. And those shooters are all older men like me. I haven't seen a person under the age of 30 with a revolver in their hands in a long time. What's it like at USDPA, IDPA, etc?

Thanks, John

I am planning on bringing my revolver when I finally get to shoot on a Wednesday night. Just have not had the time off from work to allow it yet.

pacman: Hope you can make it with your wheelgun. I shoot an SA and a DA gun at Bob's. Would be good to see another dinosaur roaming the range.

Does it seem to anyone else that the number of people shooting revolvers of any type has gone down (even more) in the past several years? We've been having steel plate shoots up at Original Bob's Tactical in Salisbury on Wednesday nights, and of the 20-40 shooters attracted, only 2-3 shoot revolver. And those shooters are all older men like me. I haven't seen a person under the age of 30 with a revolver in their hands in a long time. What's it like at USDPA, IDPA, etc?

Thanks, John
There does not seem to be many shooters in IDPA or USPSA that campaign mainly with revolvers. A lot of the guys will shoot revolvers on occasion but most stick with semi-autos.

I think this has to do with the harsher trigger pull of a DA revolver, the more difficult reloads and the extra planning needed to overcome a six round capacity. Also, the number of reloads done on a stage can increase dramatically when shooting a revolver. If you are not good at reloading a revolver, then doing it 5 times on a stage can be very stressful.

There are some very athletic and highly skilled local revolver shooters (Gene and Craig come to mind) in USPSA and IDPA that make shooting and loading a revolver look effortless. I've always hated those guys. [grin]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Those wheel guns are for old men. Us young kids like the pistols.
(Glad I don't have my pic on here so they can't see how old I really am)
I do find I shoot better with the pistol then revolver but want to try the S&W 686 on the plates some night. I had planned on using the redhawk with 44 specials in it but again I do better with 45.
I have been practicing on the 22 machine there with a taurus revolver with a 6 inch barrel and getting a bit better shooting the plates at 75 feet. For me with business down like it is I can't afford to practice with two centerfire guns but the 22's are fun and still cheap.

I often shoot revolvers at the local IDPA matches and usually end up winning my division.
Unfortunately it's usually a division of 1.

and yeah, I'm an old guy.[smile]

Revolvers are relatively rare in IDPA. Speaking for myself, thus far I buy handguns primarily for self defense. I haven't found a self defense application for which a revolver is better than a semi-auto except for pocket carry. Therefore the only revolver I own is an airweight j-frame, which isn't exactly a good competition gun. There's a 625 in my future eventually, but since it would solely be a range toy, it's farther down the priority list. I think this goes for most IDPA shooters. They start with the carry gun they already have, and if they buy a dedicated competition gun it's something similar. (ie shooter who carries a Glock 19 might buy a Glock 34.)

For USPSA shooting revolver takes alot of skill and practice, It is very unforgiving to mistakes, most don't want to put the effort into it and just buy their speed and shoot Open class

Bring your Revolver to Harvard Saturday for USPSA and that will make at least three of us.

10MMDAVE is active with revolver, Mooney shoots revolver, I try, Jackie (woman shooter) shoots revo, and more.

Already signed up with Mooney for A7 in Revolver division.

Wheel guns are real guns

Last edited:
pacman: Hope you can make it with your wheelgun. I shoot an SA and a DA gun at Bob's. Would be good to see another dinosaur roaming the range.

If they continue doing it each Wednesday I am sure I will make it over there. I have not been fortunate enough at this point to get an early schedule but expect too within the next 3-4 weeks at the most.

I am going to break mine out for a match this season. If I can peel myself away from my Limited gun that is....

Bring your Revolver to Harvard Saturday for USPSA and that will make at least three of us.

10MMDAVE is active with revolver, Mooney shoots revolver, I try, Jackie (woman shooter) shoots revo, and more.

Already signed up with Mooney for A7 in Revolver division.

Wheel guns are real guns

RGS: This surprises me. I thought that such a large, well known club would draw many more revolver shooters. Things don't look good. Of course with 10mmDave shooting it's all for 2nd place anyway. That boy can really roll the wheel and hit things too!

John

Jeez....my ears are burning !!

Yup, it's a tough game shootin a real gun....that's why only real men
shoot 'em ! like me and RGS [laugh2] OH !! and SAJohn too !

But really, it is a tough thing to do as someone did mention, breaking down a
stage for 6 rnds at a time and yes doing those 5 reloads on the move can be
a daunting task.
But it's the most fun you'll ever have [smile]
It's probably the toughest gun/division to shoot (no Snubby class yet) and
makes you think completely different about a stage.
To be honest, it gets boring watching Auto shooters run thru stages making
no, maybe one reload, and then sometimes finding the sweet spot and
shooting a stage all from one spot, come on guys...move around and shoot !

I'm seeing more folks buying revo's for USPSA, they might not be out this year
but maybe next year.
One of the other issues could be that USPSA doesn't give revo too much
attention, hell it's even been passed over at some Nats with no mention of the
division (I've been told so anyway)

I believe we had a bunch more revo shooters at the SC Nats this past month
but can't get to the stats to confirm.

And if Whitey ever drops that brass throwing machine and takes revo shooting
for real we'll all be in for some fast a fancy revo shooting.

Can't speak for IDPA, shooting a moonclipped 4 inch gun at 165-170 PF don't
sound like much fun, maybe a 4 inch 686 with speed loaders and 125 PF loads,
that sounds like the ticket [smile]

RGS: This surprises me. I thought that such a large, well known club would draw many more revolver shooters. Things don't look good. Of course with 10mmDave shooting it's all for 2nd place anyway. That boy can really roll the wheel and hit things too!

John

There are quite a few revo shooters in this section. Getting them all together is the problem.

As 10MMDave said, it is a math exercise. For me it is easy. I can't count past six anyway.[laugh]

For IDPA, I have shot ESR with a 4" Moonclip gun at 170PF since the rules changed. No big deal with the right load. My 4" gun is now 5" so if I shoot ESR again, it will be with the 3" 610

Come play with us SAJohn Jackie is usually there, Mooney can't make it this time but I know I will be there and 10MMDAVE. I won't be moving too fast. Back went out yesterday but I am still going and shooting.

As for Whitey, he will get tired of chasing brass all over the range.[laugh2][laugh2]

Edit to add: Revo shooters are the Rodney Dangerfield of USPSA. No respect

Last edited:
I am inspired!
I have decided to buy my first S&W model 10 revolver, I think it's a good starter pistol.
Hopefully, If I practice, I'll be good enough to shoot it in a match.

I am inspired!
I have decided to buy my first S&W model 10 revolver, I think it's a good starter pistol.

This is going up for sale on BE very soon. it now sports bobbed hammer and wood grips. Much better than the Model 10 for USPSA [laugh]

25-2003.jpg

This is going up for sale on BE very soon. it now sports bobbed hammer and wood grips. Much better than the Model 10 for USPSA [laugh]

25-2003.jpg

That's a really nice one Gary!
I figure to try the model 10 in IDPA first, then get something else for USPSA.

Email me what your looking to get for that puppy, before you post it...
Thanks, JH

mmmmm... a 25-2 right?
That's the same type pistol I used to get classified in Revolver for USPSA.

btw according to the USPSA website the Class and division summary for MA is:

Open 71
Limited 87
Limited-10 62
Production 54
Revolver 21

Last edited:
People mention the difficulty of making the reloads and counting rounds and such. Isn't it moot because you all have the same problem because you have a seperate class and don't compete against autos? As long as everyone has the same issues to solve I think it would be nothing but fair and one hell of a lot more interesting task to work out. Autos tend to get a bit boring to me - not because I shoot them well (I don't) but because they load too many rounds and have the simplest trigger of all. I think this is what Dave was getting at. I guess I agree.

People mention the difficulty of making the reloads and counting rounds and such. Isn't it moot because you all have the same problem because you have a seperate class and don't compete against autos?

It's a new skill set to learn. I think some people avoid it for ego reasons, they don't want to climb the learning curve again. I want to get good with autos before I spread out. I do plan to spend a season shooting revolver at some point in the future, but my skill with autos isn't nearly where I want it yet.

I am inspired!

I think you can do it 9X21. Use the Force. The Model 10 is a great gun. I'll shoot mine at the next BPT match so you don't feel left out.

SA John, I don't know where you're getting your data, but S&W just hosted the largest USPSA or IDPA revolver turnout at a National-level match this century. We drew more revolver shooters (49?) than most ICORE Regionals.

Sign up for the New England Regional ICORE match in Watervliet, NY on 5 July 09. I promise you find lot's of competition there - including 9X21.

Craig

Revolvers are relatively rare in IDPA. .... I haven't found a self defense application for which a revolver is better than a semi-auto except for pocket carry.

Really?

My data based response is:

Revolver shooters composed about 20% of the competitor poulation at the 2009 S&W IDPA Indoor Nationals. That's about 10 times more often than the relative number of days it snows in New England from November - March.

The USJD data shows that most civilian encouters involve less than 6 rd fired by both parties at less than 10 yd.

After having seen thousands of competitors with a variety of makes, models, ideas and skill levels over the years, I can say these things with confidence: revolvers jam/malfunction at about 1/1000th the rate of semi-automatics; fire repeatedly until they are empty when held in awkward/less-than ideal positions in either or both hands- upside down, sideways, in a coat pocket, etc,; do not go out of battery when pressed against surfaces; and are not nearly as ammunition senstive as semi-automatics. Try getting a semiautomatic for function reliably with 75000 - 180000 PF ammunition on demand all the time, every time.

My toungue-in-cheek response is:

The only reason we allow semi-autos in at all is to subsidize the staples and Port-o-lets for the real competitors. Stop by a S&W match and 9X21 can show you what I mean.

Craig

Last edited:
Really?

The only reason we allow semi-autos in at all is to subsidize the staples and Port-o-lets for the real competitors. Stop by a S&W match and 9X21 can show you what I mean.

Craig

Nice Craig... Real nice. [laugh]

I must say, I enjoy watching the revolver guys shoot the matches. As 10mmdave knows, revolver was my favorite until I had a "real" limited division gun built. Now I am hooked - but I'll be back. I like hanging out with the Dangerfields and the "special kids." [laugh]

SA - It is fair in that everyone solves the same problem with similar equipment. It just doesn't seem fair when you see Dave reloading that round thing like a well-oiled machine. [wink]

Last edited:
SA - It is fair in that everyone solves the same problem with similar equipment. It just doesn't seem fair when you see Dave reloading that round thing like a well-oiled machine. [wink]

Matt, are you implying that Dave cheats?......or he just works at it??? [smile]

Mine will come out for IDPA this year... not likely in USPSA.... I just can't think that good.

Craig B.: I don't do the type of shooting you do. I'm strickly a pin, PPC shooter. It's just been my observation at the small fun shoots we have around here that nobody uses revolvers very much. I favor them above all others. Just wish others shot them too. Apparently they do out your way. You are lucky.

Like most people my age, I first learned to shoot a DA revolver. Shot one for years in PPC back in the mid-seventies and then started shooting 1911s. Learning first with a wheel gun is a big advantage because you learn to control the trigger and follow through like an archer or flintlock rifle shooter has to. This seems to be lacking in so many shooters of service auto pistol shooters I see today. The result is very poor target accuracy at any range. Any of you older shooters of wheel guns observe this to some degree?

Whitey627: I'd rather lose to someone like Dave than beat lesser shooters. Nobody ever learned a thing winning a match. The whole point is to strive. But I know what you mean.

Some Revolver Division shooters have a lot of CLASS

People mention the difficulty of making the reloads and counting rounds and such. Isn't it moot because you all have the same problem because you have a seperate class and don't compete against autos? (snip)

Close, in IDPA/USPSA we have different DIVISIONS which are determined by the equipment you use in that particular match.
Classification, or "CLASS" is determined by your level of competence within your chosen Division. A minor point, but one I try to keep clear for new competitors.

It could also be a matter of the prospects simply not having the opportunity to really TRY a revolver to see for themselves how much fun they can be.
[grin][smile]
I made the mistake of lending one of my revolvers to a shooting buddy to try out back in '04. He now has over fifty classifier stages shot at sanctioned matches and recorded in the national database. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom