Revolver Accessories

Umbagog

NES Member
It took a while, but my new best friend has arrived. There's now a hole in my wallet where the money used to be so I'd like to get up and running for days at the range and possible winter carry without having to cash in my fillings. The holsters for an N frame 5" barrel are a bit of a unicorn, where might I find a decent chest, shoulder, or bandolier for under a $100? The selection is better, will a 6" work? Also, what's up with three different thicknesses of moon clips, and what do you all use for moon clip tools? Any other must have accessories? Macgyver solutions are welcome.

Attachments

• 20210114_101508.jpg
    20210114_101508.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 38
I bought a Black Hills Leather for a 5” 629 that wasn’t a bunch of money. Not sure about your expectations on cost.

But as mentioned that’s a long gun for CC.

It took a while, but my new best friend has arrived. There's now a hole in my wallet where the money used to be so I'd like to get up and running for days at the range and possible winter carry without having to cash in my fillings. The holsters for an N frame 5" barrel are a bit of a unicorn, where might I find a decent chest, shoulder, or bandolier for under a $100? The selection is better, will a 6" work? Also, what's up with three different thicknesses of moon clips, and what do you all use for moon clip tools? Any other must have accessories? Macgyver solutions are welcome.

Moon clips:
The width of the cut under the rim of .38spcl and .357mag, (the two I'm familiar with), is NOT a SAMMI specification. So, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, (consistent within manufacturer). For example, I mostly shoot and load Remington brass - which takes .025 thickness moonclips.

I've been very happy with T&K Custom; they cut the cylinder on my GP100 and I bought moon clips and moonclip tools from them. They have a decent chart on their pages showing the thicknesses.

Is that a 627?
I didn't realize there was a 5" version out there

So....-

And @allen-1 beat me to tk custom

One of those sites should have almost anything you need to gunsling.

I changed all my N frame sights to Dawson fronts. Easier for me to pick up on a draw.

Unless you're reloading on the clock, speed or jet loaders will work in place of moons. If you're hell bent on moons, get an unloader (one of those site should offer one) for it. And don't try to speed load moons loaded up in .357. Cartridge length makes it awkward. Its just the nature of the beast.

And last but not least- There is no magic aftermarket leaf spring that will lower your d.a. and work reliably. Theres a lot more to it than that.

Have fun with it. They are fun to shoot.

Go here:

You want a Sourdough Pancake holster, a "Most Versatile" ammo pouch, and a couple quick strips.

EDITED to say they have a Chesty Puller rig you can add to the sourdough pancake holster to turn it into a chest rig for hiking, boating, etc. Or use the holster as-is for IWB or OWB carry.

Last edited:
No reason you couldn’t use a six inch N-frame holster for you 5 inch 627. But why would you want an extra inch when you’re already carry a pretty large gun? Given the price of a 627, I wouldn’t skimp on the holster, particular if you intend it as a carry gun..

0.035 for Moonclips. From Revolver Supply. The Nickel plated.

Did you try Google for the holster?

Also, why buy a nice moonclip revolver and go cheap on the holster? ... Buy once, buy quality.

Other must have ...
Polished trigger.
Weight reduction springs.
Polish all internals.
If you will compete, extended cylinder release.
Dawson front sight.
Bobbed hammer.

No reason you couldn’t use a six inch N-frame holster for you 5 inch 627. But why would you want an extra inch when you’re already carry a pretty large gun? Given the price of a 627, I wouldn’t skimp on the holster, particular if you intend it as a carry gun..
I'm thinking on taking it on the trails with the wife and dog, so shoulder, chest, or bandolier under a fleece vest or three season coat. Not an EDC, so I'm looking to keep the price down.

Moon clips:
The width of the cut under the rim of .38spcl and .357mag, (the two I'm familiar with), is NOT a SAMMI specification. So, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, (consistent within manufacturer). For example, I mostly shoot and load Remington brass - which takes .025 thickness moonclips.

I've been very happy with T&K Custom; they cut the cylinder on my GP100 and I bought moon clips and moonclip tools from them. They have a decent chart on their pages showing the thicknesses.

Figure out what brass you plan to use and then standardize on a moonclip that works with that brass. I used Federal and R&P brass and 0.025" moonclips from revolversupply.com The nickel plated are a tad thicker and tighter. I have 50 blued and 50 nickel for my 627's

0.035 for Moonclips. From Revolver Supply. The Nickel plated.
0.035" is for 9mm. 20, 22, 25 thousands are the options for 38/357

Back
Top Bottom