• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

revisiting nh non res ltc...again

Read the other thread. Federal law criminalizes carry a handgun within 1000 feet of a school, unless you have a carry permit issued by the state in which the school is located. There is no exception for "constitutional carry" or reciprocity.

There are so many great guys and girls here... it's like family.

1598200065807.png 1598200182299.png

Read the other thread. Federal law criminalizes carry a handgun within 1000 feet of a school, unless you have a carry permit issued by the state in which the school is located. There is no exception for "constitutional carry" or reciprocity.

Sorry to be lazy about it but do you happen to know what constitutes "carrying" in that context? Such makes a huge difference..

Ie, driving by in a car is carrying? Does it make a difference if loaded/unloaded walking down the road or in a car?

Seems like there must be more to it given somebody could theoretically walk to Costa's (next to a school or was, not sure status of school), buy a pistol, walk home with it in a box unloaded, hardly "carrying" but still carrying technically.. someone could live near a school, similarly.

Not that this is enforced but all it takes is one wierd cop.

True but unenforced for reasons I'll state below.

Len, if I haven't said it lately, it's a pleasure having you on NES.
~Matt
Thanks. I try to be helpful.

There are so many great guys and girls here... it's like family.
Yup, and oftentimes dysfunctional too! [laugh]

Sorry to be lazy about it but do you happen to know what constitutes "carrying" in that context? Such makes a huge difference..

Ie, driving by in a car is carrying? Does it make a difference if loaded/unloaded walking down the road or in a car?

Seems like there must be more to it given somebody could theoretically walk to Costa's (next to a school or was, not sure status of school), buy a pistol, walk home with it in a box unloaded, hardly "carrying" but still carrying technically.. someone could live near a school, similarly.

Not that this is enforced but all it takes is one wierd cop.
It's an ignored law for a few reasons:
- It is a Federal Law and local/state police do NOT have the authority to enforce Federal Laws.
- There aren't that many Feds hanging around school areas to enforce this.
- Feds pick and choose their cases and this would be so low level (given no other extenuating circumstances) that I understand that it has never been enforced and isn't likely to ever be enforced. People drive around all the time in unfamiliar locations and have no idea that they might be within 1000' radius of a school.
- Legistraitors create laws with no foresight on the enforceability or how practical the law would be in the real world. All they care about is "I did something". LE frequently isn't on the same page so unless forced to act on a stupid law, they are unlikely to enforce it.

So is owning a Glock, but here we are. The F&G regulations makes the difference. Most of that went away when CC was put into law, but F&G went screaming, kicking and crying about loaded long guns in a vehicle. So, it currently is what it is. Deal with it.
Glock = Greatest firearm ever invented.

gonna say no just because when i applied they wanted evidence i had a ltc in my home state. don't know for sure if they still do.
NH is one of the few states that do NOT require an LTC in your home state, Utah is another, 2 years ago before I moved to NH I had both of these, and got them after being labeled unsuitable in MA

he was asking about a non res LTC, if he could get one without having his mass. ltc yet. when I applied for my NH non res, I had to send a copy of my mass. ltc with the application. it was requested.

he was asking about a non res LTC, if he could get one without having his mass. ltc yet. when I applied for my NH non res, I had to send a copy of my mass. ltc with the application. it was requested.
I know, there was court case over this and NH lost. So they have to issue a nr if you qualify even if you don't have one in your home state. This is exactly what I did when I was still living in MA. You absolutely can do this and they will issue the NR. I applied for my NH non res just a week after the ruling was handed down.

Well, I'm still waiting for my NR. I sent the application in on August 19th, no check cashed or anything. I called to see if they received it but no call back. More concerned about it being lost in the mail since I can still carry there and go about my business.

No matter what state, we always unload the gun and open the action well before coming out of the woods. Jack.
The two times I've been checked while hunting I unloaded the gun and locked the action open before the officer got anywhere near me and showed an empty chamber before they had a chance to say "hello". One was a mass epo out walking the trail cutting through a wma. One was a shirley cop that uses his bullhorn to tell me to come out of the woods or my truck was gonna get towed.......that's another story.......he ruined my hunt and I was parked legally because I had a permit to hunt on the oxbow reserve and he didn't see it in my driver window 🙄. Once he saw the permit I pointed to in the window he said oh sorry and drove away. a**h***.

Well, I'm still waiting for my NR. I sent the application in on August 19th, no check cashed or anything. I called to see if they received it but no call back. More concerned about it being lost in the mail since I can still carry there and go about my business.

I sent mine in very early August, say 3rd or 4th. Check cashed around 25th, in my mailbox on the 31st I think. But mine was a renewal and my previous one expired at the end of August. Maybe because of that I got priority? I'd give it another week or two before being worried it got lost.

I sent mine in very early August, say 3rd or 4th. Check cashed around 25th, in my mailbox on the 31st I think. But mine was a renewal and my previous one expired at the end of August. Maybe because of that I got priority? I'd give it another week or two before being worried it got lost.
Yeah I wrote too soon, check was cashed today.

The believed intent is to prohibit hunting from a motor vehicle.
Correct. MA, NH & ME all have similar laws regarding loaded long guns in or ON a motor vehicle.

--------------------------

Wrt NH NR License, I've had a couple of renewals that took a month before I got the new one. It happens. Patience is a virtue and they don't really try to imped you like many MA towns do.

There was something I was supposed to remember about New Hampshire gun laws, Massachusetts residents and something else...

They are in violation of the law. Must issue or deny within 14 days. Call them and bitch.
Call them but don't be a bitch. Unlike MA, NH isn't in the business of delaying/denying applicants. If it got delayed, it was an honest mistake, or they found something.
How did you send it in?
Has the payment gone through?

Back
Top Bottom