*Review-pic heavy!* - Black Dog Machine Full Body .22lr Mags

I havent seen any postings on this so I thought I'd share..

For anyone with a ceiner/atchisson .22lr conversion kit for their AR looking to pickup some extra mags I picked up a couple of the newer Black Dog Machine mags. These newer mags come in a full size body and are now offered in a 10 round capacity for us behind enemy lines.

Unlike the original ceiner mags made of steel, these mags are made of a very hard polycarbonate and are hefty. The fit and finish are really top notch and they ooze quality. However, I do have concerns that over time, the feeder lips may become chipped or damaged with hard use. I guess only time will tell but overall, I love these mags and would defintely recommend them. They feed reliably, can be taken apart to be cleaned and I always hated the sharp "nub" feel of the ceiner mags. They handle and feel like a real 30rd mag which makes all the difference when training and shooting.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are some comparison shots. ENJOY! [smile]

My Setup
mysetup.jpg

Mag size comparisons:
allmags.jpg

3magsidebyside.jpg

3magprofile.jpg

Magzine Markings:
BDmagmarking.jpg

BD10rdmagmarking.jpg

BDtranslucent.jpg

Ceiner vs. Black Dog Followers, feeder lips:
origvsBDfollowerstop.jpg

origvsBDfollowersfront.jpg

origvsBDfrtlip.jpg

Ceiner vs. Black Dog Loaded:
origvsBDloadedtop.jpg

origvsBDloadedtopdetail.jpg

origvsBDloadedfront.jpg

origvsBDloadedrear.jpg

They do fit in pouches but buldge at the top:
pouchfront.jpg

pouchside.jpg

pouchopen.jpg

AR Ceiner vs. BD mags:
ARnubmag.jpg

ARBDmag.jpg

This is a great post, because it just brought to mind a big concern with the Black Dog mags - I have pretty much been sold on a .22LR upper from Spike Tactical, which will take Ceiner or Black Dog mags. I was content to buy strictly Black Dog mags, but I realize that much of my shooting is going to be from prone, and those mags are very likely to get in the way. I only use 20 round mags when I shoot 5.56 from prone, but I've heard many people complain that 30 rounders get in the way of your forearm or dig into the ground. Those 10 rounders from Black Dog look bigger than a standard 30 rounder. Any thoughts???

+1 rep points!

Great post for info and I'm not trying to hijack or s@#t on the idea of a .22 upper but I still can't understand why anyone would want to shoot .22lr ammo out of an AR rifle.[rolleyes]

I know folks say its cheaper but for that matter why not equip a 10/22 into one of the many semi auto tacti-cool configs or buy a .22 AR style rifle to begin with? To me its the same as buying a 9mm conversion for a CZ52 or a .32ACP for a Nagant revolver. I just dont get it.

Yeah it might be more expensive to shoot .223, 7.62x25, or 7.62x38R through the guns I mentioned, but after all, thats what these were designed for. For me shooting the intended round is more fun than cheating and shooting modern day conversion stuff no matter how cheap it is.

the BD mags are a wee bit longer so if you find shooting prone with the 30 rounders annoying, these will probably be just as annoying. [wink]

Regarding why I shoot .22lr thru my AR? Besides the fact that I'm a cheap bastard [laugh] and .223 prices have gone to the moon, I bought it so that I could shoot it at my indoor pistol range during the winter months. I do get your point though, I have the same thoughts about the .22lr kits I see for the 1911s...[smile]

Great post for info and I'm not trying to hijack or s@#t on the idea of a .22 upper but I still can't understand why anyone would want to shoot .22lr ammo out of an AR rifle.[rolleyes]

I know folks say its cheaper but for that matter why not equip a 10/22 into one of the many semi auto tacti-cool configs or buy a .22 AR style rifle to begin with? To me its the same as buying a 9mm conversion for a CZ52 or a .32ACP for a Nagant revolver. I just dont get it.

Yeah it might be more expensive to shoot .223, 7.62x25, or 7.62x38R through the guns I mentioned, but after all, thats what these were designed for. For me shooting the intended round is more fun than cheating and shooting modern day conversion stuff no matter how cheap it is.

+1

I have an AR with a very expensive custom barrel complete with a machined in comp. Besides the expense of the 223 ammo, I also want to avoid replacing this barrel.

This match gun of mine has little or no muzzle flip, so practice with the dedicated upper which has the same scope (Leupold CQ/T Mark IV) is very similar to shooting the .223 upper, just less noise.
So far I have gotten about 20,000 rounds of practice with the dedicated 22 upper at a ridiculously low cost, even when you add in the cost of the upper. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't go with a dedicated 22 upper.

Back
Top Bottom