• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Review of Cajun Gun Works - CZ experts

It's been a while since I've been on this forum so I figured I'd do a public service and write a review of Cajun Gun Works.
https://cajungunworks.com/

My experience with guns:
I've tinkered with a lot of guns. I don't typically send anything out for work. I have Cerakoted rifles, welded brakes, camo patterned frames, trigger jobs, stippled, speed cut etc. There is very little I won't venture to do myself.

The Company
Cajun is owned (I assume) by a guy named David. He specializes in parts for CZ's and some of their clones. From speaking to him I infer that he designs the parts himself.

The Prescription:
David listens to what I'm trying to achieve and prescribes a detailed list of parts right over the phone. Then he proceeds to tell me what I am going to get after I install his parts.
Exactly how much overtravel, trigger weight, trigger break feel, reset travel, primer requirements if necessary etc.

He has yet to be wrong on any of my guns. He literally tells me his expected trigger travel in tenths of a millimeter and his expected trigger weights in tenths of an ounce.

Service:
David picks up the phone himself. Yes he actually does. There is no navigation of menu's, sales, services etc.

I had an issue trying to remove a barrel bushing one time and rang them up. David explained how he removes them and then got creative when I gave him a list of tools I had laying around. Together over the phone we figured out a creative way of getting the job done with the tools I had at my disposal.

Parts:
His parts are exceptional. I have seen many parts in many guns before. These are high quality and their fitment to the gun (and with each other) is impeccable.
I remember when I received my factory new SP-01 and thought to myself that it was a decent gun but nothing special. When I had all the parts in, the gun was totally transformed.

Contrasting this with other parts manufacturers:
You are rarely ever buying all your aftermarket parts from the same place. In my experience if you do that, some of the parts will be great, others will not. You'll end up with a mix-and-match of parts and then potentially fitment or reliability issues. (less with Glock parts)

A perfect example of this is my Tanfoglio. I literally spent 2 months working on the gun almost every other night (when not waiting for a new shipment of parts).
I have literally over $400 in redundant parts (3 different triggers, 2 hammers, 2 sears, 2 disconnectors...the list goes on) and I still cannot get it to the quality of my SP-01. I certainly chased the trigger on that one and regret it.

You can literally buy everything you need to make CZ's competition ready or just amazingly nice guns all in one place and be assured that all the parts work well together which is absolutely key.

I believe so strongly in his parts that I decided to purchase a new gun because I found out that he was going to manufacture parts for it. Yes the logic is a little backwards. I'll be ordering those parts as soon as I have the gun in my hands.

Disclaimer:
I am not paid by Cajun nor am I receiving free parts or anything. Cajun does not know I'm posting this. I'm just really impressed. I'm actually often impressed by the service offered by many manufacturers in the gun industry but rarely impressed in every other area as well.

Anyway I hope this is helpful for anyone who has a CZ or is looking to buy one.
I have heard great things about CZ Custom as well but have no experience other than using their grips.

And if you don't own a CZ yet, you should start to look into it.
cz.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I've been on a bit of a buying spree with CZs. Once I build gun funds up again I'm going to start getting them over to Cajun for work. I've built ARs and done some work on pistols, but this one I want the experts to work on. Sounds like I have a lot to be enthusiastic about.

Sounds like a great company. Makes me want a CZ even more than I already did!

Thanks for posting! I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I've been on a bit of a buying spree with CZs. Once I build gun funds up again I'm going to start getting them over to Cajun for work. I've built ARs and done some work on pistols, but this one I want the experts to work on. Sounds like I have a lot to be enthusiastic about.

There are a lot of gains to be had in just polishing components...and the rest is certainly more complex than a Glock but with a little patience it's very doable.

Sounds like a great company. Makes me want a CZ even more than I already did!
Do it!

Thread bump time, any of you guys have anymore with CGW to report? I recently picked up my first CZ and was thinking about sending it to CGW for the pro package service. I talked to them the other day and got some really good info over the phone, I don't remember who I spoke to but he was really helpful. My main question for them was is there any difference between buying the Omega kit and dropping it in myself vs sending it to them. Their pro package service includes the cost of the kit plus all the hand fitting and polishing that they do, the labor comes out to around $150 which I think is reasonable. He told me that on average just the drop-in kit will get the DA around 8.5 lbs, The hand fitting of the pro package can get it down to around 6.5 give or take. Plus they also swap out a couple of extra parts that are included in the drop in kit you can buy and install yourself. I decided to do a little web searching before I committed to sending it in and then I found some pictures of the copperhead package CZ's they used to do and I think I'm in love. I'm going to call back on Monday and see if this is still available and if so I think I'm going to go for it. Just wanted to bump this and see if there were any updates from you guys.

Based on the name of the company I was expecting to talk to the assistant coach from the water boy but that was not the case. They were super helpful and knowledgeable over the phone, I talked to one of the gunsmiths and he sounded like he knew his stuff. I know I can do the drop and kit myself but for the little bit of extra money for the hand fitting and polishing I think I'm going to deal with the wait time and send it in. My plan is to carry and use this gun in some classes, it's not just going to be a range toy. I think I'd like to have them do the work. I'm ok at this stuff but I have no doubts they're better.

CGW is one of the best and most professional gun companies I've ever dealt with.

Their trigger parts are among the best I've used.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second in sending your gun down for work.

If you want to do it at home, just know that these are not Glocks and are more complex. If you are mechanically inclined you will be fine. If you run into a jam you can always call them and their gunsmith will walk you through troubleshooting steps on the phone.

I have used their parts many times.

CGW is one of the best and most professional gun companies I've ever dealt with.

Their trigger parts are among the best I've used.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second in sending your gun down for work.

If you want to do it at home, just know that these are not Glocks and are more complex. If you are mechanically inclined you will be fine. If you run into a jam you can always call them and their gunsmith will walk you through troubleshooting steps on the phone.

I have used their parts many times.
Cool thanks. I've done some drop in kits for the classic sig p series guns and have played around fitting some 1911 parts over the years so I'm totally comfortable doing their drop in kit. But the fact that their labor cost includes actual fitting and polishing and not just "install of drop in parts" seems totally worth it to me.

You should be fine dropping the parts in. The difference in hand polishing isn't going to be super noticeable.

And once you have it you could always hand polish yourself.

You should be fine dropping the parts in. The difference in hand polishing isn't going to be super noticeable.

And once you have it you could always hand polish yourself.
According to the smith I talked to it could be around 2lbs difference in DA pull weight. Just and estimate/average , not guaranteed.

I have 3 CGW kits installed in my pistols. An SP-01, a 97B and a 97BD. I installed the first two and they are fantastic. I could not reassemble the kit into the 97BD for reasons I still cannot figure out. But I sent the whole mess (frame and kit) back to CGW in sad pieces and paid to have him intstall. It came back perfectly. Lighter pull than I was able to get on the first two. Everyone who shoots these 97's loves them. My 21 year old daughter refuses to shoot anything else at the range anymore. 3.5 and 2.8 lbs SA on the 97's.

According to the smith I talked to it could be around 2lbs difference in DA pull weight. Just and estimate/average , not guaranteed.
They know exactly where to polish and I'm sure their stuff turns out great.

2 pounds seems like a pretty big difference. I think that's a high estimate.

I don't think you'd be unhappy if you did it yourself and used a reliable yet lighter hammer spring. I think it would be the blue one.

I just picked up my first CZ (75D-PCR) and may well send it down to CGW.

It's not worth it to me for the short $ they charge and I know it'll be done right
vs. home install.

Just kind of annoying to spend 700 on a gun that you need/want to drop another 500
into. There is a world of diff between my P229 and this CZ. Admittedly, the P229 has
the GrayGuns ELS trigger. If CGW can make the 75 like that; I'm game.

And the sights kinda suck.

It's not worth it to me for the short $ they charge and I know it'll be done right
vs. home install.

Just kind of annoying to spend 700 on a gun that you need/want to drop another 500
into. There is a world of diff between my P229 and this CZ. Admittedly, the P229 has

Totally agree, the sig 229 and 226 Da's blow the base CZ's out of the water from the factory. The CZ's have a cool factor to them though that's hard to describe. One thing that sig hasn't been able to do is make a DA double stack in the same identical size to a g19 like the cz p-01. I think the p-01 is my goldi locks gun. DA/SA is my preferred platform and the g19 is the perfect do it all size.

vs. home install.

My CZ's have the best trigger of any handgun that I own. Comparable to 1911's. The reset isn't as nice though.

Yes it sucks when you need to drop that additional money but the good thing is you know exactly what it will cost, rather than chase a trigger for weeks and months.

I prefer the normal cz vs the omega (both with pro packages) If you are a CZ snob you will notice the difference.

3 out of 4 of my CZ’s I’ve installed Cajun parts (myself) and they made a noticeable improvement.

I’m a big fan of them and their stuff

Only cz I have that is stock is my TSO. It needed nothing except for a Shadow 2 Saftey (personal preference).

ETA: just went back to their site and added a few items to my cart. Ugh. Not a cheap start to a new month.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom