• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Review: Dawson Precision Rear adjustable FO & front FO sights for the S&W M&P

I just wanted to put up a quick review about the new Dawson Precision Adjustable rear sight (FO) and front sight (FO) available now for the Smith & Wesson M&P line of guns (no I don't sell them nor am I affiliated with Dawson). All I did tonight was install the sights on my M&P9 FS, so I'll update this thread after I take the pistol to the range (weather permitting that should be tomorrow night). The sights have the following part numbers Adjustable rear FO - 034-005 / Front FO .100" x .265" 021-058.

Here's what you get when you order the front and rear sight (they do send you an inch of green and an inch of red FO).

Front sight

attachment.php

Rear sight

attachment.php

Installation of the front sight went without a hitch using the MGW sight tool for the S&W M&P's.

attachment.php

Installation of the rear sight did require some filing of the sight. Also note that this sight is taller than the original sight and is tough to get into and out of the MGW tool, but it will work.

attachment.php

Installed

attachment.php

All in all I'm pretty happy with these sights. They seem to be built pretty tough and come with all the tools to do it by hand. One note, the allen head tool the rear sight came with was to small for the allen screw in the factory sight. Hopefully they just shipped me a bad tool.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSC_0344.JPG
    DSC_0344.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC_0350.JPG
    DSC_0350.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 228
Range trip....

Well I made it to the range tonight and sighted in the pistol. The sights were very easy to see and adjust.

Here's one of the targets from 5 yards (rapid fire)

attachment.php

Here's another target from 7 yards (rapid fire)

attachment.php

Here's a good pic of the sights from the top

attachment.php

I like these sights a lot. Very visible at the indoor range. Now if I can only get that 12lb trigger taken care of I may be able to shoot it a little better [grin]

Edit: I give up. I've attached the pictures to this post twice and both times they've disappeared from the post the following day. So no pic's guys.

Last edited:
Did something better. Had a Santurri trigger job done. It's around 3.5-4lb. Both my M&P 9 and 45 are setup the same way now.

JR,

I am looking at adding the sites you choose to my M&P. Question... Do you find that the taller sights catch or hang up when you holster / unholster the gun?

I cant quite decide if I should go with the adjustable rear site (which requires a taller front sight) or fixed rear with a shorter front site.

Any long term use feedback now that you have been using the gun/sight set?

JR,

I am looking at adding the sites you choose to my M&P. Question... Do you find that the taller sights catch or hang up when you holster / unholster the gun?

I cant quite decide if I should go with the adjustable rear site (which requires a taller front sight) or fixed rear with a shorter front site.

Any long term use feedback now that you have been using the gun/sight set?

Well I don't use the gun in a holster that much, but when I've had it in my Fobus paddle holster I haven't had any problems. The front site will snag on loose clothing though so you have to watch out if you like having whatever you're wearing. The sight will shred right through it. The sight has some serious edges to it and being as sturdy as it is whatever it hits loses, including your flesh.

I like having the adjustable rear, but like you said. They're elevated on the slide. If you wanted to carry with the sights I wouldn't recommend this setup. They just stick up too far. For target, plates, & pins they're great.

Back
Top Bottom