• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

[Review] Basic Trauma Management For Shooters

• Thread starter Deleted member 12999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12999

I recently took a class with Bill Lewitt (Lewitt is screen name here on NES), and wanted to share with folks that are interested in any kind of trauma training, no matter where you think you may apply it. Bill doesn’t post here much, and doesn’t even know that I’m posting up my thoughts on his class.

[I don’t even like medicine AT ALL… and I still loved this class]

I’m just going to come right out and say it. Train with him if you get a chance. Honestly? I learned more about saving lives at risk from a GSW or stab wound in 4 hours with him than in almost any other class I’ve taken. I will be getting out on range with him at some point to take these skills and start mashing them up in scenarios.

The class was an abridged version of his 8 hour course, so we moved pretty quickly. He clearly knew what he was talking about, and like I’ve said in another review, speaks like a man who has gotten up close and personal with the concepts he is discussing… not just read about them. He even had a firefighter joke I hadn’t heard, which is a bonus.
He covered the history of ‘tactical’ medicine over hundreds of years, and it’s pretty funny to see that not much has changed, except technology. The tourniquet is pretty much a mainstay over the past 1000 years, it's just cooler now.

Then he covered a whole bunch of active shooter, and terrorist incidents over time, which really help frame up the complete cluster **** that victims and first responders will be in the middle of as far as first aide is concerned.

He breaks down anatomy and physiology in such a way that it’s really simple for anyone to understand… as a first responder, gunfighter, or both. I really liked how he discussed blood loss in terms of functional loss of consciousness relative to ‘self-aide’. It really puts it in perspective how you need to have your shit together if you get shot or stabbed in certain areas. He also discussed anatomy from an offensive perspective, and really drove home the point that the human body is EXTREMELY resilient… which reminded me how important accuracy really is. His stories are not just anecdotal, as he has tons of medical research (currently in school for his Nurse Practitioner) to back up the idea that a BIG MAJORITY of people survive GSWs. Then he breaks down #s as to how you can maximize statistical chance that you’ll put someone down for good (and no… headshots are not just the answer).

Finally, we discussed all of the tools out there for folks to stop essential liquids from pouring out of your body. We got to do practical exercises with them, and he discussed pros and cons of different brands. This guy is really dialed in on tactical medicine, and it’s clear that he gives a shit. Go to one of his classes. You won’t regret it.

Here's his site. First time I ever met the guy, but I know NES is a skeptical bunch, so just putting my opinion out there.

Tactical Development Group ? Way of the Gun

I will second that it is an excellent class. I took it last winter. Learned a lot and changed what I put into my kits.

I took mine through Downrange Firearms Training.

Classes in scenic Woburn on the fourth floor. Hell, I still have gift certificates I haven't used yet. I bought'em before they opened. I figured some extra cash up front would help Mattie ( Lord of War ) & John ( Shepard ) get off the ground. Good guys, I'll inquire about the next classes for my Posse.

Last edited:
Training and equipping yourself to perform tactical/defensive medicine is a MUST for anyone that keeps or carries a firearm or knife for self defense.

Back
Top Bottom