• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Returning to MA from Indiana: Looking for some advice.

I grew up in MA and left for college in Indiana in 96. It looks like I might be on my way back home. The gun laws out here in the Great State of Indiana are wonderful and I think I have been spoiled.

I'll probably be moving around Wellesley, Needham, Newton.

I own a Glock with plenty of high cap mags and an AK74 with folding stock, bayonet and all the good stuff. Browsing around here I'm getting the feeling I might have to sell that AK. The Glock is coming with me. As I continue to read threads and search any advice is appreciated on my return home.

Thanks,

HS

Buy and bring all kinds of handguns that are not on the EOPS list. They are legal to possess here, and will markedly increase in value the minute you get your LTC.

I own a Glock with plenty of high cap mags and an AK74 with folding stock, bayonet and all the good stuff. Browsing around here I'm getting the feeling I might have to sell that AK. The Glock is coming with me. As I continue to read threads and search any advice is appreciated on my return home.

Thanks,

HS

You can't have the high cap mags unless they are pre-ban (1998?) You'll have to sell the AK for sure; or pin thestock and grind off the bayonet.

Basically, the 1994 AWB never expired here. Also there are many restrictions on what handguns a dealer can transfer, as detailed in a sticky in this forum. Also, whether you can carry depends on what town you live in, because licensing is at the whim of the local police chief. I know you'll never get an unrestricted (ok for carry) LTC in Newton. Check the 'guide to gun rights in your MA town' for the others. Most towns inside 128 don't issue unrestricted permits.

Browsing around here I'm getting the feeling I might have to sell that AK.
Or find a trusted friend in a free state to hold it for you, or consider moving to NH instead; it's really not that far as I'm sure you know. At an absolute minimum make sure you move to a "green" town that will grant you an unrestricted license.

Thanks for the advice so far. The reason for my return is my wife has found her dream job in Newton and there is a good chance she will get it. My parents who live in Wellesley are getting older and I would really like to be around them.

In the Great State of Indiana my LTC allows me to go just about anywhere with my pistol. Even carry it open if I wanted (I don't) I realize what I am getting myself into. I realize I won't be able to carry my gun.

What I am concerned about is being able to keep my pistol in my home legally and do this the right way as I move. If I move out from Indiana with my pistol and have the firearm in my new residence am I breaking the law? Would I need to have it shipped out or go back to get it after I have completed all the necessary paperwork? I'm searching for answers but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

I'm going to hate to say good bye to my Bulgarian Baby! [crying]

69146547it2sy8.jpg

My advice is simply don't do it.

Is there a reason you are planning on returning? As another posted you would be better off moving to NH or VT if you feel a need to return to New England.

Thanks for the advice so far. The reason for my return is my wife has found her dream job in Newton and there is a good chance she will get it. My parents who live in Wellesley are getting older and I would really like to be around them.

In the Great State of Indiana my LTC allows me to go just about anywhere with my pistol. Even carry it open if I wanted (I don't) I realize what I am getting myself into. I realize I won't be able to carry my gun.

What I am concerned about is being able to keep my pistol in my home legally and do this the right way as I move. If I move out from Indiana with my pistol and have the firearm in my new residence am I breaking the law? Would I need to have it shipped out or go back to get it after I have completed all the necessary paperwork? I'm searching for answers but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

I'm going to hate to say good bye to my Bulgarian Baby! [crying]

69146547it2sy8.jpg

Actually, if you move to a GREEN town, you will be able to carry your pistol most everywhere.

There are very few statutory no-go zones for concealed firearms. I'm sure we have a thread or two on them here.

You can't have the high cap mags unless they are pre-ban (1998?) You'll have to sell the AK for sure; or pin thestock and grind off the bayonet.

Wrong.

The effective date is 1994; not 1998. In other words, the exact same date as the now-defunct Federal AWB.

If your "AK" is pre-ban, bring it; if not, sell it.

Wellesley is a better choice than Needham or Newton.

Which is like saying dandruff is better than psoriasis.

He could always neuter the AK to comply with the AWB. Granted, once it's done, you've messed up a perfectly good rifle, but it can be cheaper than buying a new one.

The fact that you are voluntarily moving from Indiana to Massachusetts would bring into question your "suitablility"!![laugh]

Wrong.

The effective date is 1994; not 1998. In other words, the exact same date as the now-defunct Federal AWB.

If your "AK" is pre-ban, bring it; if not, sell it.

Wellesley is a better choice than Needham or Newton.

Which is like saying dandruff is better than psoriasis.

seriously? can you get ALP in any of those towns? I thought you could in Needham, no?

I have to reseach this but I would be happy to bring these guns back as long as it was legal for me to do so and I knew I could sell them. I wouldn't mind making a little extra $ and helping MA residents get the firearms they want!

Dude buy a few keltec's, ruger ltc's, h&k's new glock's and you will be a rich man after you sell them off here...

I would recommend you invest a small amount in a private phone consultation with a lawyer. Two that are very good and participate here are Cross-X and Scrivener. A half-hour phone con with them will get you all the information you need and would be easily worth ten times their cost in value to you. It could very well be the smartest decision you make with regards to your anticipated move to MA.

-Cuz.

Thanks Cuz, Great idea!

I would recommend you invest a small amount in a private phone consultation with a lawyer. Two that are very good and participate here are Cross-X and Scrivener. A half-hour phone con with them will get you all the information you need and would be easily worth ten times their cost in value to you. It could very well be the smartest decision you make with regards to your anticipated move to MA.

-Cuz.

Wellesley has been marked as a Green town, so you may be able to get an unrestricted license there without too much trouble.

HoosierShooter, if you do make that call to a lawyer, ask them if there would be any advantage for you applying for a Non-resident Mass LTC now, which is pretty much "Shall Issue", and then upgrading to a "Resident A "no restriction" License.

I've never seen that asked before, but sounds like something that might work in this crazy state.

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm here on the Cape right now vacationing. Feel naked wit out my 19 [frown]

HoosierShooter, if you do make that call to a lawyer, ask them if there would be any advantage for you applying for a Non-resident Mass LTC now, which is pretty much "Shall Issue", and then upgrading to a "Resident A "no restriction" License.

I've never seen that asked before, but sounds like something that might work in this crazy state.

Back
Top Bottom