• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Return of the HK MP5

I cannot find that this moved from proposed to actual rule. It covers most of the reasons for ITAR registration as they exist today. Manufacturing of full auto would still require ITAR.
ITAR enforcement is a very different discussion.
Update: ITAR Final Rule.

I had an hk94 purchased from collectors gallery In 2006 for $3800. I had it sbr'd and the correct 3 lug barrel installed. For what I had into it ($5300) it sucked to shoot. I sold it to Oleg the owner of Zero Hour Arms just before he got run out of the state for selling brand new Glocks. You guys ain't missing much. Trust me.

Attachments

• 20171012_084617.jpg
    20171012_084617.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2012-08-25 13.50.17.jpg
    2012-08-25 13.50.17.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00025_(2).JPG
    DSC00025_(2).JPG
    187 KB · Views: 45
I had an hk94 purchased from collectors gallery In 2006 for $3800. I had it sbr'd and the correct 3 lug barrel installed. For what I had into it ($5300) it sucked to shoot. I sold it to Oleg the owner of Zero Hour Arms just before he got run out of the state for selling brand new Glocks. You guys ain't missing much. Trust me.
Lol all that $ and no paddle release?

This is surprising. I'd say the vast majority of people who have shot an MP5 or clone will praise it outside of not having LRBHO. I figured it was just hype until I got my hands on a clone. The roller delay blowback works extremely well and it easily outpaces all my straight blowback guns. It has been nothing but a pleasure to shoot, and I find myself going back to it despite having more modern SBR's now. $5,300 though--that's a tough pill to swallow. I think I would have just had a flat set professionally assembled instead for like half the price. Sure, you lose out on genuine HK assembly, but the savings would make that ok.

This is surprising. I'd say the vast majority of people who have shot an MP5 or clone will praise it outside of not having LRBHO. I figured it was just hype until I got my hands on a clone. The roller delay blowback works extremely well and it easily outpaces all my straight blowback guns. It has been nothing but a pleasure to shoot, and I find myself going back to it despite having more modern SBR's now. $5,300 though--that's a tough pill to swallow. I think I would have just had a flat set professionally assembled instead for like half the price. Sure, you lose out on genuine HK assembly, but the savings would make that ok.

Lol nobody builds HKs for that cheap that isn't a factory. Doing it "manually" is a huge pain in the ass that's why you don't see many HK builds.

Lol nobody builds HKs for that cheap that isn't a factory. Doing it "manually" is a huge pain in the ass that's why you don't see many HK builds.

A few on this board have apparently taken on the task. I figure one can buy a genuine HK flat set for like $1,500-1,800. Toss in a grand for a true gunsmith to put together (or at least weld and press the barrel in) and you have a solid genuine HK parts build for around half of what that guy paid. Plenty of people go that route as well according to HK boards.

A few on this board have apparently taken on the task. I figure one can buy a genuine HK flat set for like $1,500-1,800. Toss in a grand for a true gunsmith to put together (or at least weld and press the barrel in) and you have a solid genuine HK parts build for around half of what that guy paid. Plenty of people go that route as well according to HK boards.
No gunsmith is going to do that for only a grand. Or at least not one where you're going to see the thing quickly. Otherwise everyone would be doing it... they're not. [laugh]

No gunsmith is going to do that for only a grand. Or at least not one where you're going to see the thing quickly. Otherwise everyone would be doing it... they're not. [laugh]

That's the price I was given back when I was weighing options. Folding the flat with a jig, welding, and pressing the barrel. No cerakote and I'd put the rest together myself, but that I could handle. It really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be, as these are actually very simple guns. Hell, depending on where you're from (ie, not MA) you can find people finishing receivers for sub $500.

These are cool no doubt and I'd love to own one if my finances were unlimited but minus a happy switch or at least an SBR designation, I look at these sorts of guns next to a Glock, Sig, etc, which can hold 20 rounds on your hip, be fired from one hand..

They certainly have a cool factor but are kinda pointless outside of a collecting standpoint.

These are cool no doubt and I'd love to own one if my finances were unlimited but minus a happy switch or at least an SBR designation, I look at these sorts of guns next to a Glock, Sig, etc, which can hold 20 rounds on your hip, be fired from one hand..

They certainly have a cool factor but are kinda pointless outside of a collecting standpoint.

I definitely have a pistol on the night stand, but given just 5 minutes time to prep, I'd sooner go subgun for home defense. That's often not in the cards in emergency situation, but if it was, that's the route I would take. They are just more forgiving for speed/accuracy. I'll put all 30 rounds of a preban MP5 mag in a 2" bullseye at 50' with a subgun. No so much with a pistol. I'm working on it, but nowhere near as good with a pistol yet.

In a free state I'd get the MP5 pistol and put a brace and suppressor on it, use it for home defense. In Mass I'm just boned.

Yes, but big bucks. I wonder how many guys are still sitting on registered sears that Ceiner was selling cheap years ago? Jack.
Myself, I have 2...... Registered Receiver guns...... MP5-A3 guns... ... Bought em when they were the "Outragious" price of 1500.00 (One Thousand-Five Hundred) each.... I'm sure they can and WILL bring ohhh,, about 25K or more each should I need to sell one...( Bought em in Mass around 1987 when I lived there)

Myself, I have 2...... Registered Receiver guns...... MP5-A3 guns... ... Bought em when they were the "Outragious" price of 1500.00 (One Thousand-Five Hundred) each.... I'm sure they can and WILL bring ohhh,, about 25K or more each should I need to sell one...( Bought em in Mass around 1987 when I lived there)

That's fantastic. Good on you. Imagine someone was close to law makers back then and could do some "insider trading" on buying registered receivers/sears right before AWB dropped? A 1,660% ROI handily beats out most stock portfolios for that time period unless you got lucky in tech startup.

The good old days. My 1928 Tommy post sample was $500 and the M3A1 Grease gun post sample was $200. Transferrable Reisings were $300 dealer. Transferrable Macs were $500 dealer, and so on. Jack.

My only question is when the heck are these SP5's going to be in stock?? I'm on a bunch of waiting lists and have the $ burning a very large hole in my pocket but no stock anywhere.

Would these be Mass legal with a fixed mag? If so, I would consider buying one as a fixed mag pistol then SBR it.

Would these be Mass legal with a fixed mag? If so, I would consider buying one as a fixed mag pistol then SBR it.

I could be wrong, but I think because it is over 50 ounces, isn't on the roster, and the foregrip is technically a "barrel shroud", it can't be a pistol here. But I'm no expert on that matter, so maybe others can chime in.

I was thinking about this the other day. If one was able to find a very cooperative FFL, maybe (again, I'm no expert) you could have them pin a faux suppressor on the end to meet OAL for the barrel and put a A2 stock on it. Then I think it's a rifle. You buy it, Form 1 to SBR and remove the pinned faux suppressor, and viola, a real HK MP5 in its natural state. There are preban mags out there for this gun, and genuine HK ones are date stamped which is a nice piece of mind.

I could be wrong, but I think because it is over 50 ounces, isn't on the roster, and the foregrip is technically a "barrel shroud", it can't be a pistol here. But I'm no expert on that matter, so maybe others can chime in.

I was thinking about this the other day. If one was able to find a very cooperative FFL, maybe (again, I'm no expert) you could have them pin a faux suppressor on the end to meet OAL for the barrel and put a A2 stock on it. Then I think it's a rifle. You buy it, Form 1 to SBR and remove the pinned faux suppressor, and viola, a real HK MP5 in its natural state. There are preban mags out there for this gun, and genuine HK ones are date stamped which is a nice piece of mind.

I think you might be on to something.

Back
Top Bottom