• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Return of the HK MP5

The price for HK is based on two things: their quality and demand.
HKs run and run and run without issues. Doesn't matter which mags you put in it. Some clones do too, but others are very picky about magazines and the craftsmanship is lower.

HK buys are very particular about original parts and the factory charges a premium for those. People want them and will pay the price just like they will for BMWs and JA Henckels.

Yeah but what if someone SBRs it? [laugh] I'm going to guess eventually they're bringing back a carbine, too.

-Mike
It was always an interesting piece, but I believe its time has passed. Navy SEALS basically dropped it for the MK 18 Mod O which is just as compact but fires the 5.56mm NATO rifle cartridge. The FBI abandoned it for the AR15, citing advantages of a rifle round and lower maintenance costs. The only Fed agency retaining it is the Secret Service. Don't waste your time asking why. Their standard response to those types of questions is a plain "no comment".

Hmm, conflicting reports, if its really 2800 then its pretty much for fanbois only, considering the roller lock clones are like a thousand bucks less than that. (eg, PTR etc). at 2 grand ish or so wouldn't be so bad.
This is like MJ. The law creates a shortage; the free market price jumps; and when a legal supplier enters the market it keeps the price with the "legal scarcity" premium built in even though the floodgates have been opened.

Last edited:
No, at least not in MA. That is the biggest hurdle.
You can get an FFL at a residential address in MA, but not a MA dealers license. This confines you for activities that justify the need for an FFL not involving selling to non-FFL holders and doing so without the exemption from the MA AWB granted to state licensed dealers.

You can get an FFL at a residential address in MA, but not a MA dealers license. This confines you for activities that justify the need for an FFL not involving selling to non-FFL holders and doing so without the exemption from the MA AWB granted to state licensed dealers.
MA AWB exemption and high normal capacity magazine exemption. You might be able to run a business selling handguns out of state if the only issue was the AWB, but being limited to 10rd magazines...

So the ability to get a home based FFL w/o the MA dealers license is close to useless. Some VERY limited scenarios where it has value.

Which drives places like Littleton, Rockland, etc. My estimate is that 90% of the 50 dealers in Littleton would do everything out of their home if they could the necessary licenses (like almost every other state...)

Figure $2500-$3000/yr all-in: rent, ffl, dealers/ammo/gunsmithing state licenses, SOT, business license (sole prop, not LLC), etc.

Full auto post-sample based on PTR, manufactured by you as an 07, ~$2K
Full auto fully registered MP5, ~$30K

The math is quite simple at that point.

I am not sure why the SP5 would be interesting. Sure, its an HK. Its unobtainium for normal person in MA since it is an AW. One of the creative paths to an SBR would be the only way (remembering that you cant BUY an SBR since it is a "firearm" not on the list). I think PTR, Omega, etc are better paths, but that is just my view.

Unless you have a detached garage or other building right?

Yeah but what if someone SBRs it? [laugh] I'm going to guess eventually they're bringing back a carbine, too.

-Mike

can someone remind me the SBR rules in Mass - I know if it's available in carbine form, that's easy to SBR via Form 1 (buy carbine, get stamp, convert to 8" barrel), but if only available in this pistol form, what are your options?

Talking clones, PTR makes excellent ones for a reasonable price. I personally own 3, and like them very much, PTR-9CT and PTR-9KT. Moreover, they come sear ready, full auto bolt carrier group, no blocking pin like in SP5K. And in my personal experience, quality much better than MKE.

How does the PTR quality compare to HK?

If they ever import enough to actually even vaguely meet demand street price could probably be around $2400 especially given the dealer price. However seeing how basically most HK firearms are allocated and backorder from all the distributors I'm on I'm gonna say MSRP is basically going to be actual price for the foreseeable future. Would be cool to see them made in their USA plant though.
Edit to realize you meant how much is the FFL+SOT and rifle. FFL - 300$ SOT 500$, whatever the state costs are for NH which I imagine are close to $0 Making your own full auto MP5 clone would be around $2000-3000. (far easier route,) So tally that all up.

The HK45 dropped from $1000 to $600 when they moved production to the US. Need more of that.

can someone remind me the SBR rules in Mass - I know if it's available in carbine form, that's easy to SBR via Form 1 (buy carbine, get stamp, convert to 8" barrel), but if only available in this pistol form, what are your options?

Get someone to make it into a carbine before transferring it in state.

Option 1 Have it converted to carbine.

Option 2 Just buy the receiver, get tax stamp, add stock, now acquire trigger group to complete SBR. The order of steps is important and what you already own for parts is important to avoid constructive possession of something “bad”. You can’t get the trigger group from the ffl you got the receiver from for obvious reasons (bad for ffl).

There are some variations on option 2. You have to be careful of three things
  1. Constructive possession of SBR w/o tax stamp
  2. Constructive possession of AW in MA
  3. Dealer has to worry about effective sale of off list “firearm”

Figure $2500-$3000/yr all-in: rent, ffl, dealers/ammo/gunsmithing state licenses, SOT, business license (sole prop, not LLC), etc.
You are forgetting ITAR registration. (International traffic in arms regulation)

The minimum ITAR is $2250/year. Many 07s think they don't need one if they are not exporting, but this is the case only if you document the fact that it is a pure research org without any sales or sales attempts. And yes, many 07s go without an ITAR fee and don't have a problem - but that does not mean doing so is legal or immune from prosecution.

Last edited:
Odds of these making it into Mass are somewhere around 0%, huh?:(

You can have one. But you might as well put a folding stock, flash suppressor and a bayo lug on a brandy-new AR-15 while you are at it. Same penalties.

(I'm assuming it's too heavy. I could be wrong. If not, I'm gonna have to find a way then get a pistol brace. LOL. EDIT - 5lbs. NO GO! :( )

You are forgetting ITAR registration. (International traffic in arms regulation)

The minimum ITAR is $2250/year. Many 07s think they don't need one if they are not exporting, but this is the case only if you document the fact that it is a pure research org without any sales or sales attempts. And yes, many 07s go without an ITAR fee and don't have a problem - but that does not mean doing so is legal or immune from prosecution.

I cannot find that this moved from proposed to actual rule. It covers most of the reasons for ITAR registration as they exist today. Manufacturing of full auto would still require ITAR.

ITAR enforcement is a very different discussion.

No, at least not in MA. That is the biggest hurdle.
The ATF will, provided you meet local zoning and provide a justification for the FFL that does not require a MA dealer's license.

What you cannot get from a MA residential address is a MA dealer's license. And, the dealer exemptions (exempt from MA AWB) are based on holding the MA, not the federal, license.

Does that cover yet to be converted to full auto too?

I have seen FA 1911s, 10/22s, are these semi autos gay now too?

If so, I'm SO gay for Semi Autos.

RC

Back
Top Bottom