• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Retro/Fixed Carry Handle AR15s Pictures and discussion thread

Nice thread!

I'd never owned an AR (didn't like them when I was in the Army) until a few years ago, when I figured I "should" have one. So I bought a preban SP1, which I thought I'd like: in my view, every M16-derived weapon MUST HAVE tapering handguards and a carry handle. I promptly flipped that SP1 for an AR180, and I never plan to own another AR.

I trained on the M16A2, which I was fine with, and when I was in the Guard there were still some A1s around. When I went active, my unit was just fielding the M4, which we carried with fixed handguards and the carry handle ALWAYS attached; my chain of command had no idea how to use all the doodads you could put on the rail, and they were afraid of signing any of that stuff out of the arms room anyway. So they told us not to take the handle off, for fear of messing up the zero. The Army I served in was still very much an "iron-sights" Army.

When we went to Kosovo, I believe we were the only NATO troops with anything other than M16A2s. The other units we came into contact with were envious of our M4s. We referred to their M16s as "muskets."

I’ve never fired an AR. Never owned one, doubt I ever will. I came close a few months ago, but got better.
When I was looking at them, I couldn’t get my head around the lack of carry handle (which I actually found useful to carry the gun) and how heavy the gay round hand guards were. I went through basic with the A1, most of my career with the A2 and finished with the M4. I like the A1 style, but I’m not going to pay “retro collector” prices for an “old gun”.

WOW
I wonder if his rifle absorbing that grenade shrapnel is why Corporal Carpenter is the youngest LIVING Medal of Honor Recipient.
Semper Fi!!!
The rifle certainly took some hits, but post blast analysis suggested that because of how poorly built the roof was (a mud-brick constructed tower), that a portion of the force was directed downwards and away from from him.

He clearly sustained significant injuries, but we can imagine how much worse it would have been if the roof had been made of steel reinforced concrete.

Palmetto State Armory Harrington & Richardson line, complete (not built by me) gray anodized 652 style carbine.
Pinned & Welded 14.7" barrel. These have the "safe"-"semi"-"auto" selector markings.
LINK with more info: https://palmettostatearmory.com/harrington-richardson-652-style-carbine-gray.html

- I removed the rifle stock, rifle buffer-tube & buffer, and installed a PSA vinyl acetate coated aluminum stock & carbine buffer.
- Installed a gray anodized 2-position carbine buffer tube.
- Installed a Vietnam-era mottled A-1 grip.
- Installed a modern sling & a Bushnell Trophy red dot.

Real/genuine Vietnam Era H&R M16A1 Example: Harrington & Richardson Arms M16A1

PSA 652: 1685607984412.png

Attachments

• 05.30.21-IMG_20230530_135618966 (002).jpg
    05.30.21-IMG_20230530_135618966 (002).jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 05.30.21-IMG_20230530_135641796 (002).jpg
    05.30.21-IMG_20230530_135641796 (002).jpg
    735 KB · Views: 29
  • 05.30.21-IMG_20230530_135713212 (002).jpg
    05.30.21-IMG_20230530_135713212 (002).jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 05.30.21-Untitled attachment 00026 (002).jpg
    05.30.21-Untitled attachment 00026 (002).jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230530_1359301672.jpg
    IMG_20230530_1359301672.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
That looks fantastic [thumbsup]
You made it into a very cool 653 or does the slickside make it a 654?
The upper and lower anadizing look very different, is that just the light in the pictures?

That looks fantastic [thumbsup]

The upper and lower anadizing look very different, is that just the light in the pictures?

The coloring of the upper + lower looks closer to each other in-person.
The last of the 5 picture shows the natural coloring better.

The thing with anodizing is that the coloring can vary even when aluminum parts are anodized all together, at the same time.

1685570032492.png

Last edited:
Just picked this up last week..bought it off the original owner and he took the original DK forge code C7 barreled upper off it because it had a scratch and put a new brownells C7 on it with a colt barrel :mad:...the original configuration was a 16" Hbar 1/9 he said with the aluminum CAR stock..im fortunate enough he sent me the CAR stock with it..he shipped it with a brownells stock..I dunno but I need this to be back in 100% original.
20230527_161544.jpg

I am desperate for a DK forge C7 upper if any of you guys have a lead on one, I would appreciate it! This is the way.
Screenshot_20230531_174204_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's mine. FN upper (3S679 cage), Palmetto lower with Govt/M16A2 markings. Acquired as seen, minus the sling.

But....I waver between liking it for the nostalgia itch for my service rifle that it scratched, and liking other 5.56mm platforms better. It feels comfortable and familiar...but....my Sig556 or AUG make me smile.

Love this thread though. I'll always like seeing them, even if I end up not keeping mine.

Carry.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked this up last week..bought it off the original owner and he took the original DK forge code C7 barreled upper off it because it had a scratch and put a new brownells C7 on it with a colt barrel :mad:...the original configuration was a 16" Hbar 1/9 he said with the aluminum CAR stock..im fortunate enough he sent me the CAR stock with it..he shipped it with a brownells stock..I dunno but I need this to be back in 100% original.
View attachment 758415

I am desperate for a DK forge C7 upper if any of you guys have a lead on one, I would appreciate it! This is the way.
View attachment 758414
I have this if you can't find the one you want. 348359285_581637550623132_7012603774760921360_n (2).jpg

I was all excited about ordering a 14.7” pencil barrel from PSA. I’ve been watching for Green Mountain’s version to come in stock for like 4 years now.

But… I should have taken a closer look at PSA’s barrel in the pictures. Those f***ers don’t include the delta ring. Okay, I don’t mind having to buy a delta ring. What I do mind is that I have to remove the pinned front sight base and reinstall it. Who the f*** is buying this barrel to attach a handguard that doesn’t need a delta ring, like a centurion arms or something? Hint, nobody. Actually, I don’t even know of a single handguard that doesn’t use the delta ring, but still allows you to keep the front handguard cap (which they include) in place.

Damned PSA strikes again.

5B32152B-DA4C-4886-914B-337E3F369AEE.jpeg

Edit: It also, apparently, doesn’t come with a front sight.

CE781DA4-B304-43CF-88F9-4C672FCEA55B.jpeg

Last edited:
I was all excited about ordering a 14.7” pencil barrel from PSA. I’ve been watching for Green Mountain’s version to come in stock for like 4 years now.

But… I should have taken a closer look at PSA’s barrel in the pictures. Those f***ers don’t include the delta ring. Okay, I don’t mind having to buy a delta ring. What I do mine is that I have to remove the pinned front sight base and reinstall it. Who the f*** is buying this barrel to attach a handguard that doesn’t need a delta ring, like a centurion arms or something? Hint, nobody. Actually, I don’t even know if a single handguard that doesn’t use the delta ring, but still allows you to keep the front handguard cap (which they include) in place.

Damned PSA strikes again.

View attachment 759147

Edit: It also, apparently, doesn’t come with a front sight.

View attachment 759152
Thats messed up that they dont include the delta ring or the front sight post.
You can probably install the delta ring without removing the front sight base, but you need some snap ring pliers.

View: https://youtu.be/P7dffkBlAho

How do you like the barrel otherwise?
Does it have M4 feed ramps?

Thats messed up that they dont include the delta ring or the front sight post.
You can probably install the delta ring without removing the front sight base, but you need some snap ring pliers.

View: https://youtu.be/P7dffkBlAho

How do you like the barrel otherwise?
Does it have M4 feed ramps?

Thanks for the tip. I’ve always just installed it with the barrel nut.

I’ll get back to you on opinions of the barrel after I handle/use it some more.

Why? I've got two FALs, and I once owned a CETME. I'd happily get another one of those before I went for anything AR-shaped.

Besides, this is a thread about "retro fixed carry handle" rifles. If I was to gravitate toward an AR, those are the kinds I'd gravitate toward. That SFAR looks like something that would be bought by someone who wears an iWatch, has scruffle and a manbun, and puts bullshit into his coffee to make it taste less like coffee.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Welp, it happened. I traded for an AR, and I don't hate it yet. Although, in keeping with that post above, I did get a PTR-91 before I got this AR-shaped device.

It's a Colt Target, an A2 clone with no bayonet lug. Apparently, the A2 configuration was always the one I'd like best. It's the rifle I was used to from BCT, my Guard unit, IOBC, and Ranger before I showed up at my unit and found myself in the land of removable carry handles. We'll see how long this one lasts, lol. At least I've got something that can fire Green Tip now...

IMG_7613.jpeg

Very nice rifle Picton.
My guess is its from 1989, 1990 or maybe 1991.
pity about Colt removing the bayonet lug.
Is my memory flawed or is that rear sling swivel on backwards.

Last edited:
Very nice rifle Picton.
My guess is its from 1989, 1990 or maybe 1991.
pity about Colt removing the bayonet lug.
Is my memory flawed or is that rear sling swivel on backwards.

I noticed that, but I've not had time to flip it around. Maybe tonight.

This one might be a keeper, at least for awhile.

ETA: Done. Lol.

Last edited:
Welp, it happened. I traded for an AR, and I don't hate it yet. Although, in keeping with that post above, I did get a PTR-91 before I got this AR-shaped device.

It's a Colt Target, an A2 clone with no bayonet lug. Apparently, the A2 configuration was always the one I'd like best. It's the rifle I was used to from BCT, my Guard unit, IOBC, and Ranger before I showed up at my unit and found myself in the land of removable carry handles. We'll see how long this one lasts, lol. At least I've got something that can fire Green Tip now...

View attachment 789662

Fantastic. Despite also using the M16A2 for BCT/OSUT and even a little in my Reserve unit a decade later, I still immediately think of the old game ARMA when I see/handle an A2. Vast, open first person shooter with legit infantry tactics involved as well as needing to account for ballistic trajectory and wind. No fancy SOF shit. Just down and dirty infantry work. Sorry for the thread drift.

6870B2AF-68CF-4883-B60E-547C2C8EFB83.jpeg
DC708861-71EE-4826-8384-3FC21A51D269.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom