Retro AR build

Sometimes those front sight taper pins are a MF to get out. I think some manufacturers must press them in with a arbor press or something. (Then others don't even use real taper pins and you can tap them out with a jewler's hammer. Depends on who built it I guess.)
I've heard this, too, that some use a press or whatever, to put them in. I'm not looking forward to it, but whatever.
ah ak/sks bolt woes, I fabricated a oak block to support my bolt with a "hole" for the pin to drop into. A really nice punch just a touch smaller than the pin and a good hammer will do. I boiled my AK bolt until good and hot. It took 2 solid hits to get it moving. Once it broke free it went easy.
I tried a wood block with a cutout to no avail, big punch (small enough to still fit), little punch, etc. I didn't not try hammer on hammer though. Eventually I decided to leave well enough alone.

No problem in the end, shipped with triangular endcap, so I can just swap out the handguards. Don't have the tool, maybe I can get a friend to hold the delta ring or try to jury rig it.
Holy sight radius, I wouldn't have guessed 4'' would be that much but it def. looks a lot bigger.

Still have a way to go.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good removable carry handle that I can put on there?
I would prefer an understated screw setup to try to retain as close to an A2/A1 appearance as possible (but it also needs to work of course).

The rock river one I had was very solid and so much better than the cheap ones on amazon. White oak is very nice also.
I don't have any others to recommend. I'm actually surprised no one has put out a retro A1 detach handle

The rock river one I had was very solid and so much better than the cheap ones on amazon. White oak is very nice also.
I don't have any others to recommend. I'm actually surprised no one has put out a retro A1 detach handle
There is one, I saw someone with one on a build on arfcom. I was just thinking since I had already "cheated" with an A3 upper receiver I could get an A2 handle for the elevation and windage.

Well, it took a while but it's done. Did most of the lower receiver on Independence Day and finished up the A1 sight assembly (that tiny roll pin was a huge PITA) tonight, and she's ready for the range. Feels really good shouldered. I really fancy the A1 style pistol grip. Will be interesting to see how the three prong flash hider does. I expect the extra heft all around plus the rifle length gas system will make it a very soft shooter (not that 5.56 was anything much to begin with).

Barrel is 1:7 which is a departure from the 1:12 of the original, but I'll take it :)
It's a regular lower receiver with the bridge, etc., but I was going for a "mostly retro" take. I like the tear drop forward assist as well.

I will admit my first instinct when shouldering it was to try to use my thumb on the safety--I'm left-handed and run an ambi safety normally, and there was nothing there to switch, haha.

20180709_231004.jpg 20180709_231020.jpg 20180709_231032.jpg

Well, it took a while but it's done. Did most of the lower receiver on Independence Day and finished up the A1 sight assembly (that tiny roll pin was a huge PITA) tonight, and she's ready for the range. Feels really good shouldered. I really fancy the A1 style pistol grip. Will be interesting to see how the three prong flash hider does. I expect the extra heft all around plus the rifle length gas system will make it a very soft shooter (not that 5.56 was anything much to begin with).

Barrel is 1:7 which is a departure from the 1:12 of the original, but I'll take it :)
It's a regular lower receiver with the bridge, etc., but I was going for a "mostly retro" take. I like the tear drop forward assist as well.

I will admit my first instinct when shouldering it was to try to use my thumb on the safety--I'm left-handed and run an ambi safety normally, and there was nothing there to switch, haha.

View attachment 239602 View attachment 239603 View attachment 239604
the 3 prong is good for getting hung up on vines and small branches!
Nice job all ready for the last MMM at Pembroke!

Back
Top Bottom