• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Resurrection?

OK, so I messed up the bolt of my Mosin by putting it into 'safety' and the bolt slid apart. I finally figured out how to get it right (the English manual is worse than reading the back of a milk carton). Once I got it together again it was cycling like a F***ing DREAM!! Has anyone else had this luck reviving a gun? My Mosin was in sad shape, firing wise, now it is cycling like a MACHINE.

What's your tale of resurrecting a gun you love?

Last edited:
taking those bolts apart and cleaning out the cosmolene can really help them out. i had one that had a really sticky bolt, so i tore it apart and stuck it in a pan of boiling water for abit, cooked all the goo out of it, wiped it down, greased it, it runs like a bastard now no more using a rock to cycle the bolt haha. just make sure you set the firing pin at the right length.

Kind of sounds like your "messing it up" was really you inadvertently disassembling it and your "resurrecting" of it was you re-assembling it correctly. Either that or you had some crud lodged somewhere that is now gone.

Agreed.

They a mechanical beasts, once clean and assembled properly, they should function well

Kind of sounds like your "messing it up" was really you inadvertently disassembling it and your "resurrecting" of it was you re-assembling it correctly. Either that or you had some crud lodged somewhere that is not gone.

I even took it a step further and hit all the locations of the bolt that ride on each other with a high speed buffing wheel.

As a result, Mosins cycle very easily

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

taking those bolts apart and cleaning out the cosmolene can really help them out. i had one that had a really sticky bolt, so i tore it apart and stuck it in a pan of boiling water for abit, cooked all the goo out of it, wiped it down, greased it, it runs like a bastard now no more using a rock to cycle the bolt haha. just make sure you set the firing pin at the right length.

this.

Yeah the Cosmoline is a b**** I agree. It still has some stickiness but much better. That sh** gets everywhere! Next time it's on to the mainspring!

I don't own a Mosin yet so this may be a stupid question, but how do you adjust the length of the firing pin? I plan to pick one up in the near future, so I'm genuinely curious about this.

Back
Top Bottom