• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

restrictions for mace or OC?

My girlfriend just recently got her LTC-A, and i was thinking about suggesting mace or OC (not really sure if there's a difference, and if Mace is just a brand name). I looked on the mace webpage, and every single product I looked at said "illegal in MA: Yes".

are there any restrictions on what type of sprays we're allowed to carry?

Also, are there any recommendation on a certain brand, or are they all basically the same?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help guys! we both have LTC-A with restricitons, so we'll be fine.

Not to up a can of worms, but to be clear on my responsibility,do these have to be locked up when not in use? the way MA law reads, i'm guessing it does.

"“Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term “ammunition” shall also mean tear gas cartridges, chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate."

There isn't anything in MGL that specifies storage of ammunition. There is in CMR. I am unsure if the MA CMR covers storage of pepper spray, as it's not really anything remotely approaching a fire hazard, at least not beyond what a can of hair spray would be.

ETA: Well, there is one reason you would want to lock it up- and that is, if people are on the premises that don't have a license, under some circumstances they could constructively possess it. The odds of this happening, are slim to none, though. Same could be said for other regulated items like LCAFDs and the like. (EG, a 30 round AR mag is an LCAFD, and possession of it without a license is a crime. ) Making the item inaccessible destroys any notional of constructive possession. I'll be the first to admit that I am being extremely pedantic here- but it is worth knowing
about, especially in the case of motor vehicles. (Say, for example, you don't want your unlicensed cousin who happens to borrow your car crusing around in a car in MA that always has a box of ammo in the center console.... )

-Mike

Last edited:
I don't believe it needs to be locked up, but I am not a lwayer. I would recommend keeping it out of reach of a child who might accidentally spray his brother, and mother..
BTW!! I hear Sabre red works awesome, and First defense has a cute little pink one..

I don't believe it needs to be locked up, but I am not a lwayer. I would recommend keeping it out of reach of a child who might accidentally spray his brother, and mother..
BTW!! I hear Sabre red works awesome, and First defense has a cute little pink one..

My wife carries that Sabre Red in the pink carrier.

So, the whole lock up ammunition is based off of a CMR? i thought it fell under the same laws that you have to have a trigger lock etc (safe storage laws).

Yes. Ammunition storage is not dictated under the same "safe storage + transport" laws that apply to handguns, rifles, and shotguns. The only thing that exists is a CMR, and it's mostly about fire safety. I think the controlling agency is the State Fire Marshal's office. This is why when you get a permit to exceed the default storage limits in CMR you typically go to your local fire department to get such a permit.

-Mike

Mace is tear gas; OC is oleoresin capsicum. The former is inferior, as it does NOT affect animals; OC does. There is a reason why postmen, meter readers and people in bear country carry OC and not mace.

Mace is tear gas; OC is oleoresin capsicum. The former is inferior, as it does NOT affect animals; OC does. There is a reason why postmen, meter readers and people in bear country carry OC and not mace.

Mace used to be just tear gas. It's just a brand name now, however. I carry Mace branded OC at my security job.
80269.png

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the good info. It's nice to know that when i'm unsure about all the laws, i have a great bunch of people that are willing to help me out.

and Scrivener, thanks for being easy on my this time. From some of your other posts i've read, i got off easy[grin]

and Scrivener, thanks for being easy on my this time. From some of your other posts i've read, i got off easy[grin]

It really wasn't a stupid question OR one that had already been answered 20 times; so no reason to ding you.

HINT: Get the STREAM dispenser. A fog is more likely to blow back at you - NOT a good thing. A stream of 10%+ OC down an assailant's throat or in his eyes should have an immediate effect, however.

HINT: Get the STREAM dispenser. A fog is more likely to blow back at you - NOT a good thing. A stream of 10%+ OC down an assailant's throat or in his eyes should have an immediate effect, however.

I agree with scriv on this. Also get the type with the flip up safety on top. In my experience, the type where the button twists as a safety is much much more likely to have an AD.

Also, don't forget to take the stuff outside and test it. I know too many people that carry OC regularly but have no idea what to expect should they have to use it. For example: I know someone that pulled out their OC and tried to spray a guy in the face only to realize that he was standing beyond its effective range. She was carrying some cheapo fog spray. Needless to say it did not spray the 8-12 feet as advertised. Luckily the guy ran off anyway.

Also, don't forget to take the stuff outside and test it.

Give yourself a good spray while you're at it. The last thing you want is to be surprised by how it feels if when you need it the most you get some blowback or come into contact with the person you just sprayed. That's the reason why cops have to get sprayed during their training.

more worried about my GF spraying me for putting her delicates in the drier.... but yes, obviously out of reach from children.

It is not always the best idea to put it on your night stand at bed time. My wife used to do that until one night something went bump in the night. She grabbed the can of mace improperly and the next thing I heard was Pffffffft. Needless to say we were up for a while after that.[rofl]

Bob

Where would one go to find OC for sale? It sounds like the OP kept hitting a not for sale in MA message when looking online.
I hadn't considered OC (or Mace) since I have a neutered LTC, but this thread has alerted me that I might be able to have some defense while walking around downtown Boston after work.

Where would one go to find OC for sale? It sounds like the OP kept hitting a not for sale in MA message when looking online.
I hadn't considered OC (or Mace) since I have a neutered LTC, but this thread has alerted me that I might be able to have some defense while walking around downtown Boston after work.

Dick's Sporting Goods or any local gun shop. Don't bother with Wal Mart, they think it's illegal in MA.

Also, there may be online retailers that will ship to MA, but they are few and far between.

It really wasn't a stupid question OR one that had already been answered 20 times; so no reason to ding you.

Actually, the stream version is much harder to use effectively unless you're very close to the attacker. There was a good video demonstration I saw several months ago. The scenario had an attacker about 15 feet away start running toward the victim. The narrow stream combined with the fact that there are no "sights" on the thing made it very hard to hit the attacker accurately in the few critical seconds available. And unless you happen to hit right in the face it will have little effect. Most people's aim was way off, and they couldn't correct it successfully because they were moving too. The fog on the other hand spread out over a 2-3 foot wide area, forming a cloud the attacker could not avoid. Yes, occasionally the wind may be against you and you'll get some blow back. But with the stream you can easily miss the attacker completely.

Last edited:
Why would you need sights when the STREAM is right there in front of you?

Anyone who's ever used a water pistol should be able to hit an attacker with a stream of OC - especially since there's no cloud of it blowing back in your face.

Why would you need sights when the STREAM is right there in front of you?

Anyone who's ever used a water pistol should be able to hit an attacker with a stream of OC - especially since there's no cloud of it blowing back in your face.

Seeing the stream in front of you doesn't help much. Ever try to follow a dodging target with a hose set to narrow spray? You can see your aim is off, so you correct, but it takes significant time for the corrected stream to reach the target, and by then you realize you've over-corrected and/or the target has moved again, etc. It's easy to follow a target with a flashlight or laser, but a relatively slow moving stream is something else. If I can find the video of the demo I'll post it.

I would rather the fog

Yes, it can blow back at you but in a hurry with a running target you don't have to hit the target. JMHO.

you can find it in any gun shop or police supply store.. The stream will actually cause burning, and coughing for quite a while if used in an enclosed space..

Back
Top Bottom