Restrictions Applied due to move?

M&P

Hello Everyone,

I've just moved to Holyoke, which is marked as red on the list, but highlighted in yellow. I'm a little confused as to what what means.
I just moved from a red town, but was finally given an LTC to allow me to carry as of January 2013 in that town. Based on my move, is there a likelihood that restrictions will be applied again when I report my change of address?

Does anyone have any experience with this (or Holyoke)?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Len should chime in soon.

But the net net of this is that any terms on your old LTC will remain until it expires. A change of address doesn't change anything until renewal.

If you move from a green to a red town, you can still carry unrestricted until the ltC has to be renewed.

I seem to remember some game you can play if you move from a Red to a Green town and want to get restrictions removed before the LTC needs to be renewed. But I don't know details around it.

LenS??

Well that's good news for now - is the change of address reported to the original issuing department or is it reported to the department in your new home town?

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Whoever issued your LTC OWNS it until it expires 5-6 years later. New PD can't restrict it, can't even revoke/suspend it . . . that has to be done by issuing department. Upon renewal, it's a new game and the issuing department where you live at that time will determine what you get.

Upon moving, MGL REQUIRES notification of issuing town, new town and FRB by CERTIFIED MAIL ONLY! We all suggest you get a Return Receipt from all three, in case they "forget" that you did it . . . as failure to notify properly within 30 days of moving is justification (per MGL) to deny/suspend/revoke you LTC (or FID).

Great news. Thanks.

When you notify via certified mail, is it simply a letter to each departments clerks office, or are you required to include a copy of your LTC or any other documentation?

Also, this means I will have to go unarmed to the local post office to send it. Ironic eh? Do you guys know if UPS stores that are certified to handle USPO stuff are off limits to carrying?

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful!

Len should chime in soon.

LenS??

We need some sort of a Batman-type spotlight to summon LenS as needed around here. :)

APAvpsj.jpg

i do not believe you are required to, no.

just checked my old one and no, i never did.

You are supposed to send 3 certified letters out....one to the State and one to the new PD and old PD(I dropped mine off and had the desk sgt sign it)...you also have to put the new addy on your LTC by writing on a sticky label and placing it on the back....

You are supposed to send 3 certified letters out....one to the State and one to the new PD and old PD(I dropped mine off and had the desk sgt sign it)...you also have to put the new addy on your LTC by writing on a sticky label and placing it on the back....

Do you have a cite about label? I looked through all the laws on my last two moves to make sure there were no changes, and never saw anything about a label.

Also, any background checks will use your new address despite what is listed on the ltc.

Do you have a cite about label? I looked through all the laws on my last two moves to make sure there were no changes, and never saw anything about a label.

Also, any background checks will use your new address despite what is listed on the ltc.

No cite but 2 things made me do it....one was a shop would not sell me a gun because the address I gave them (new addy) did not match the card....they gave me a sticker for the back that I wrote the new addy on.....Since I could not find it anywhere on the mass.gov site I called my local PD and they said to do it as well....it might not be required but it makes life easier when purchasing from a FFL....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I did this all today, you can call in your address change to the firearms bureau, then certified mail to your issued town, and new town. They don't send you a new card, your license number when pulled up will show your new address. But they said just like with a regular drivers license use permanent ink or a sticky with your new current address.

Great news. Thanks.

When you notify via certified mail, is it simply a letter to each departments clerks office, or are you required to include a copy of your LTC or any other documentation?

Addressed to the chief of police in each town, what they do with it is up to them. NO legal requirement for any copies or any forms. Merely state name, new and old address, LTC/FID # and that is all. If you choose to use a form or send all sorts of extraneous info, that is up to you but NOT required per MGL.

MA gov't has taken it upon themselves to create all sorts of "requirements" and implications of "requirements" that have NO BASIS in MGL. Form is optional see above.

We need some sort of a Batman-type spotlight to summon LenS as needed around here. :)

APAvpsj.jpg

Jeez, I can't even leave the computer for an hour or two to do real work for money w/o being chased down. Luckily I have notifications set to NOT Email me and the Email address I use here ONLY goes to my desktop computer anyway, not my phone!

Len - would the same hold true of a MG license if you moved?

Yes.

Technically NOT correct. You notify the Issuing Dept, so if you moved twice you would NOT notify the town you are moving out of in that case. It's a distinction with a real difference wrt complying with the law. I use it as a "trick question" when I'm teaching the MA Gun Law seminar.

NO legal requirement to put a label on back and you would have been better posting your subsequent post info here.

No cite but 2 things made me do it....one was a shop would not sell me a gun because the address I gave them (new addy) did not match the card....they gave me a sticker for the back that I wrote the new addy on.....Since I could not find it anywhere on the mass.gov site I called my local PD and they said to do it as well....it might not be required but it makes life easier when purchasing from a FFL....

Not a legal requirement but an excellent idea to avoid being turned away by dealers and avoid confusion. I would do it on my LTC and DL (as well as my NR licenses).

I did this all today, you can call in your address change to the firearms bureau, then certified mail to your issued town, and new town. They don't send you a new card, your license number when pulled up will show your new address. But they said just like with a regular drivers license use permanent ink or a sticky with your new current address.

Nice but NOT in compliance with MGL. Calling it in or hand-carrying is NOT allowed per MGL. I didn't write it, just reporting the facts as to what the law requires. Yes, I would use a label.

Whoever issued your LTC OWNS it until it expires 5-6 years later. New PD can't restrict it, can't even revoke/suspend it . . . that has to be done by issuing department. Upon renewal, it's a new game and the issuing department where you live at that time will determine what you get.

Upon moving, MGL REQUIRES notification of issuing town, new town and FRB by CERTIFIED MAIL ONLY! We all suggest you get a Return Receipt from all three, in case they "forget" that you did it . . . as failure to notify properly within 30 days of moving is justification (per MGL) to deny/suspend/revoke you LTC (or FID).

This Quoted for Truth and Emphasis

Len, do you put anything on your LTC to reflect the new address?

No, however, if this issuing licening officer is cooperative, (s)he can have a new LTC issued with your new address. The "issuing town" and "address town" won't match, however, it will be much more convenient when filling out 4473's and proving you are using the correct address.

Back
Top Bottom