• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Restricted? If your PD refuses to lift the restrictions contact Comm2A

contact your local pd and be prepared for one of the following: 1. you are able to successfully able to talk to someone and they re issue without restrictions, 2. you successfully able to get a hold of someone and they keep your restrictions. 3. they completely ignore you and your request [cheers]
Or you ignore the restrictions. There are none, now.

As a result, if your LTC has any such restrictions, those restrictions are no longer enforceable. If you would like a new license issued to you to reflect this change before your renewal, you may contact your licensing authority. Otherwise, when you reapply for an LTC in the future, you will be provided a new LTC without any such restrictions provided that the licensing authority does not deem you to be a “prohibited person” or “unsuitable” under the law.

Or you ignore the restrictions. There are none, now.

As a result, if your LTC has any such restrictions, those restrictions are no longer enforceable. If you would like a new license issued to you to reflect this change before your renewal, you may contact your licensing authority. Otherwise, when you reapply for an LTC in the future, you will be provided a new LTC without any such restrictions provided that the licensing authority does not deem you to be a “prohibited person” or “unsuitable” under the law.

Right.

The biggest reason, with the updated state guidance, to reach out to your PD is that you want to stick it to your chief. In that case, it seems the contact goes something like this:

"I understand the state recently sent you my reissued, unrestricted LTC. Should I come pick it up tomorrow, or have you already mailed it to me?"

Has anyone else heard anything with regards to Salem, MA? The firearms officer there has changed to a Sgt. Ball since I got my restricted license, and the chief has now changed too, but they've made no public statement on the matter and he hasn't responded to email requests and a voicemail.

I've just been concealed carrying anyway, but what was most concerning is when you call the front desk and speak to an officer there they don't even know what the Salem PD's stance on this is. Might be playing with fire, but I'll continue carrying with the protection of the ruling, but it could cause a headache if you get an officer who is being awkward.

when in doubt, send a letter, certified return receipt requesting your license be re-issued without any restrictions being noted on the license.
Update...

After the fourth email and a handful of attempted calls, he responded. He requested I send a copy of my new license (I am a green card holder pending my restriction removal so my old had expired that he had) and said he would be doing a background check. Once that comes back clean he will remove the restrictions.

So Boston should be no restrictions now??? Time for my wife license just in case.... Thanks
Let's be clear guys. The State Firearms Bureau WILL NOT ISSUE LTC's with restrictions. All local PD's have been notified of that. If your local PD want to be an -------- and send in your license with restrictions the FRB will return it with a note that restrictions are not allowed.

i am going to BPD headquarter to ask about this tomorrow. i emailed them 3 weeks ago. no reply yet.... i guess they are busy trying to figure out how to slow this down .. it is a wild fire for them lmao ..

I recently spoke with the licensing officer from a town south of Boston. He told me that all MA towns and cities had received guidance from the AG's office to no longer issue with restrictions and to re-issue without restrictions if requested.

He speculated that Boston would ignore that guidance until forced by a court to comply.

I recently spoke with the licensing officer from a town south of Boston. He told me that all MA towns and cities had received guidance from the AG's office to no longer issue with restrictions and to re-issue without restrictions if requested.

He speculated that Boston would ignore that guidance until forced by a court to comply.

They don't have a choice. FRB is no longer printing licenses with restrictions on them, no matter what the CoP says...

All this is certainly a good development ... Every year I get my renewal from the FRB (non-res is yearly) and the first thing I check was that no restrictions had been added. Sounds like that should not be an issue/worry going forward. I sent it in 5 months early this year, so hopefully that will be early enough given all you locals getting re-issues all of a sudden :)

I wish they would issue non-res for 4-6 yrs like other states ... but I seriously doubt that will change.

CC

All this is certainly a good development ... Every year I get my renewal from the FRB (non-res is yearly) and the first thing I check was that no restrictions had been added. Sounds like that should not be an issue/worry going forward. I sent it in 5 months early this year, so hopefully that will be early enough given all you locals getting re-issues all of a sudden :)

I wish they would issue non-res for 4-6 yrs like other states ... but I seriously doubt that will change.

CC
Remember to let us know your findings. I would guess restrictions are gone here ("non-res") also.

Last edited:

It's very scary that a licensing officer would make that statement as all licensing authorities were told in writing by the FRB that the FRB will return all licenses requests submitted with restrictions. That's not "guidance" that is policy. As for removing restrictions on existing licenses who knows, but who cares. They are unenforceable per the AG.

Remember to let us know your findings. I would guess restrictions are gone here ("non-res") also.
Permit for next year issued about a month ago ... no restrictions, again. But if they pass this new debacle of a law, there may not be any more non-res issued.

Permit for next year issued about a month ago ... no restrictions, again. But if they pass this new debacle of a law, there may not be any more non-res issued.
The recent case out of DC would be a lesson for Massachusetts if they do not allow a non-resident permit. Especially under Bruen. if there is not a lawful path to exercise your second amendment rights even as a non-resident of the state anything you do to avail yourself of those rights has to be accepted by the courts

This is the DC case I referenced above:

"In a 2021 opinion that sided with Smith, Judge Royce Lamberth wrote that at the time of the arrests, “no person in the District of Columbia, resident or non-resident alike, could carry either a handgun or ammunition outside the home.” Moreover, the city “refused to even entertain gun registration applications by individuals who were not residents of the District of Columbia.” Little wonder then that the statutes police had relied on to arrest Smith and others were later struck down for violating the Second Amendment."

Back
Top Bottom