• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Restraining Order

I recently got a restraining order from an evil ex. I have no charges and went to court and they dismissed it. The police confiscated all my firearms. The police do not get back to me, I have left messages to the chief for the last week. Any advice or a good lawyer would be most appreciated. I have NEVER been in this type of situation before and have no priors [sad2]

Last edited:
Best advice is to get a lawyer now. Where are you located so that those who know can get you a name close to you.

Maybe Comm2A?

As I am sure others will say better then me, either have a friend with a ltc or ffl go to the police station immediately with a certified? letter from you requesting they transfer weapons to them. Otherwise it will all go too a bonded warehouse and it will cost a small fortune to get them back. Don't email, call people. Time is your enemy

Keith Langer, Wrentham MA. ([email protected]). Steve Burke would also be good. Not sure which is closer (ie cheaper) for an attorney to get to you from.

Also contact Comm2a ([email protected]). We are interested in cases like this where there have been no charges, no conviction, and the RO has been dismissed provided you are sympathetic plaintiff (i.e., no history of calls to your house for domestic violence, history of dismisses charges, etc.)

Since the RO has expired, write a letter authorizing transfer to an LTC holder, and go to the PD during business hours with this letter, a certified copy of the court order dismissing the RO, and your attorney if you can afford it. (in this case, have the attorney prepare the letter). Do NOT announce you are coming, or Dowd may get a "hurry up" call from the PD.

Last edited:
As I am sure others will say better then me, either have a friend with a ltc or ffl go to the police station immediately with a certified? letter from you requesting they transfer weapons to them. Otherwise it will all go too a bonded warehouse and it will cost a small fortune to get them back. Don't email, call people. Time is your enemy

This, I did this for a buddy we had to write a notarized letter, but this was in a green town and the licensing officer got back to me within the hour. They also provided all the trigger locks for him for free(they were all in a safe) about a year later he got the charges dropped and his LTC back

Sounds like your PD is being difficult, good luck.

How long have they had them?

What state are you in? In NH even though I filed for an expedited hearing and had the order dismissed I still had to file for another hearing for the judge to approve to give my guns back. Lame.

OP, listen to Rob Boudrie on this. Don't delay, keep immaculate records, and get a lawyer. Time is definitely not on your side. Good luck.

and NO contact with your ex. none. that is your lawyers job. If for any reason you have to see her, bring a friend along as a witness.

I would say to bring a voice activated recorder with you too, but not sure of the legality in MA

and NO contact with your ex. none. that is your lawyers job. If for any reason you have to see her, bring a friend along as a witness.

I would say to bring a voice activated recorder with you too, but not sure of the legality in MA

MA requires both parties consent to recording.

Unless you have kids with the ex, there is no reason to every have contact with her. She's already proven you cannot ever trust her, so take note and never put yourself in a situation with her. If you have property, etc you need to get from her place, have a friend pick it up or ask for a cop to go with you to pick it up.

She sounds crazy, nothing good comes from being around crazy.

Last edited:

Don't have any contact with her! Not even with a friend as a witness. Let a lawyer contact her if you need to.

Lock the thread! No, delete it and scrub the server! Call Jessie Cohen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/r...gun-control/XJrGwvQWLNt6iHHsS07sZK/story.html

His quotes:

In addition to supporting the extension of universal background checks to all states, Cohen said, he is in favor of safe storage laws in all states. But he calls a ban on assault-style weapons “nonsense.”

Cohen also said he would not necessarily oppose limits on the number of guns people can purchase each month, or a federal ban on magazines that hold more than 10 bullets, although he is skeptical that such measures would markedly reduce gun deaths.

MA requires both parties consent to recording.

Unless you have kids with the ex, there is no reason to every have contact with her. She's already proven you cannot ever trust her, so take note and never put yourself in a situation with her. If you have property, etc you need to get from her place, have a friend pick it up or ask for a cop to go with you to pick it up.

She sounds crazy, nothing good comes from being around crazy.

Do not spread bad information.

Please tell us the good information.
Massachusetts makes it a crime to secretly record a conversation, whether the conversation is in-person or taking place by telephone or another medium. See Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 272, § 99. Accordingly, if you are operating in Massachusetts, you should always inform all parties to a telephone call or conversation that you are recording, unless it is absolutely clear to everyone involved that you are recording (i.e., the recording is not "secret"). Under Massachusetts's wiretapping law, if a party to a conversation is aware that you are recording and does not want to be recorded, it is up to that person to leave the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom