• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Restoring...Rust Removal Bead Blasting Shop Boston

My father has a couple of old guns that have been in a closet for years.

- Iver & Johnson Arms & Cycle Works; Champion 12 Ga. Shotgun (1930's)
- Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 Ga. Shotgun (1950's)
- Remington Target Master 510 22 lr (1940's)

The Iver & Johnson has some pretty significant rust on the barrel with pocking. The receiver has no rust. The other two guns have some small rust spots with minor pocking.

Can someone recommend a shop in the Boston area that can bead blast or remove the rust from the Iver & Johnson barrel. This is a pretty time consuming job that I don't want to deal with?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks to the ATF, anyone who takes money to do this work must be an FFL. So you need to go to a gun smith and not just a bead blasting place.

Even if the owner of the firearm is present in the room during the work?

Ask the ATF.... If the owner is a buddy, and it after hours kinda thing may be treated differently than strangers. Who knows, but they shut down a guy engraving lowers north of Boston. The poor guy was just trying to get an engraving business off the ground and saw the demand in the gun business.

Remember, it's for your protection... :)

You can check with Dave Santurri in Attleboro. He bead blasted my 1911 when he put it together for me.

I would consider doing the job myself. just get rid of the rust and leave the pitting alone. A little cold blue and you're done.

post some pics, sometimes these old pieces are best left un molested. a good cleaning and oil is ok.

Back
Top Bottom