Restoring a K98

I am in the process of restoring my Grandfather's K98 mauser. The stock had been cut down at some point. It was made in the BRNO factory in 1943. I bought a BRNO stamped stock with matching forend, but now I need to find a front barrel band, a rear barrel band, band a spring. When i started looking on the net, I discovered there were many different styles of bands. Does anyone know what style would be most likely correct, or a source I could go to try and find this information? Thanks.

There are a couple of Mauser experts on this board, I am not one of them, I am sure they will be able to help you.

However, I can share my experience of restoring a K98. Like you I wanted the correct style parts for when the gun was made. I also wanted them to match perfectly in finish, wear and color. It was a tall order. I had to buy all my parts on auction sites and did my best to match them up. I was able to do it but it took a while and the last part, the front Kriegsmodel band was the last one. I paid $80 for that band as it was a perfect fit. It was worth it as the gun is now all matching (late war guns did not have every part numbered) and you cannot tell any of the parts were replaced.

Just know that you can put all of the correct parts on it that you want but it will never be "correct". That is one reason why all matching rifles command the money that they do. With that said, I look forward to see a few pics of your completion. These are great to shoot. Also remember that just because you have a correct band style or other correct type part, the fit may be off a little. The reason why these were numbered is because they were all fitted to each gun. Good luck.

I know that it will never be perfect. I would like to try to get parts that would make it as close perfect as I can. I don't mind spending time or money. Just trying to do my research.

If you frequent gun shows, there is a guy that has tons of parts. His name is Pete Gordon from Second Amendment Arms from Maine. He goes to Marlboro, Manchester NH, Wilmginton shows and all of the Maine ones as well. If he doesnt have them on site, he usually has them at his shop. Give him a try.

Back
Top Bottom