Rest in Peace Walter Rodger *Memorial Update*

USMA-82

NES Member
With deep remorse and sadness I must report the passing of Riverside Gun Club's Chief Instructor and NRA Counselor, Walter F. Rodger. Walter passed last night after a long battle with cancer.

Over the years, Walter welcomed thousands into the world of the shooting sports. He will be long remembered and missed. More information to follow.

For a little Scotsman, he was a giant in our world.

Rest in Peace, friend.

ETA: Obituary in Post # 10

ETA: Memorial info in Post # 17

Last edited:
Walter was a former president of Hopkinton Sportsmens Association and ran a program at that club for many years before affiliating with Riverside. I remember taking NRA pistol instructor class from him in the late 80's.

Walter was a fine man. He worked tirelessly to educate new shooters and to make the shooting sports safer.

I took several NRA classes with him--most recently (a couple years back) the NRA Metallic Reloading class at Riverside.

He will be missed.

--Warm_Garand

Walter taught and brought many, many new shooters in to the sport. He and his great accent will be sorely missed. He taught and eventually got me into instructing at HSA. Peace Walter. Shooters have lost a great friend.

Walter got me shooting in his class in the early eighties at Hopkinton, where I became an instructor and worked with him and Ken and Chris at Riverside. He not only taught me how to shoot but to coach and instruct. Since then I continue to instruct, shoot and "collect".
I met my lovely wife at one of Walters class and she became a good friend of his as well as being bitten by the bug.
A friend to anyone in need, willing to lend hardware and advice, and always a source of good humor.
A good man, sorely missed by all of us, but especially by his best friend and Wife Diane.
You surely shared your love with us, may God do the same for you.
Phil

Obituary has been posted in the Metrowest Daily News:

Walter F. Rodger

Walter F. Rodger, 74, of Framingham, died on Sunday August 7, 2011 at the MetroWest Medical Center in Framingham. He was the husband of Diane L. (Benjamin) Rodger. Born in Perth, Scotland, he had been a resident o Framingham for over forty years. He was employed as an automotive mechanic for many years, retiring from the 495 Truck Service in Marlborough. Walter was a N.R.A. Training Counselor and Lead Instructor at the Hopkinton Sportsmen's and then at the Riverside Gun Club in Hudson. Besides his wife, he is survived by a son, Andrew B. Rodger and his wife Maryse of Framingham, a brother, Andrew Rodger of Vancouver, B.C. and four grandchildren, Cailyn, Jillian, Danielle and Owen Rodger. Following cremation, services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are under the direction of the Eugene J. McCarthy and Sons Funeral Home, 11 Lincoln St., Framingham.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/metrowestdailynews/obituary.aspx?n=walter-f-rodger&pid=153003943

RIP, Walter.

I, too, took a class or two from Walter. Nice guy, great instructor - he'll definitely be missed.

My condolences go out to Diane... I'm sure she is devastated. [sad]

So sorry to hear this. I took a class from Walter way back when. Heck of a guy. Thanks for the post, Ken.

Jay

I don't recall meeting Walter, but like any instructor in eastern Mass., I certainly heard a lot about him. From what I've heard, he was dedicated to firearms ownership and safety, and his absence will leave a void.

To give you an idea of Walter's dedication to handgunners -

Walter became an NRA training counselor, and ran the program for many years, while personally ineligible for an LTC. He was, at the time I took my class, a legal resident alien who had not yet attained US citizenship (his wife Dianne was, and is, a US citizen). So, he spent years helping others get qualified to exercise rights that were denied to him.

He eventually became a US citizen, and finally got access to the rights he spent so many hears helping others exercise.

One of my favorite moments during every class with Walter was when the instructors would introduce themselves at the beginning of the class (usually 5 - 7 were on hand). When my turn came I would finish up by urging the students to ask any and all questions they might have.

I explained that "there's probably 200 years worth of shooting experience here - and half of that is Walter."

Walter did get his citizenship. I've been running his Saturday classes for a few months this year. How ironic he passes on the weekend I am the communications coordinator for the Pan-Mass Challenge - the largest contributor to the Jimmy Fund for cancer research at Dana Farber

I actually missed his call to me on Thursday because I was out at a final meeting with the PMC staff. When my wife told me that Walter had called I wanted to call him back, but alas I was never able too. I am very sad I didn't.

He was my inspiration to become an instructor.

My grandfather was the Waltham High rifle coach, but he passed away ( also by cancer) before I had really become old enough to decide how I wanted to live my adult life. In 1998 when I learned my lifetime FID was void it was taking a class with Walter and long conversations after class that really got me involved. So much that in 1999 before my wedding I had my entire wedding party from ushers and bridesmaids with their spouses and significant others all took his class and got their licenses. My dad said Walter reminded him of his own dad and I've alway hoped that what I have learned from Walter is what my grandfather would have taught me.

Rest in peace Walter. There have been a lot of people whose lives you've touched and who looked up to you as a role model.

I don't know if many of you know, but Walter's claim to fame was to be the national champion in shilloute. He would love talk for hours about the wildcat cartridges he'd develop for his Thompson Center Contender. But most of all he loved his 44 Magnums. Elmer Keith was the guru, but Walter was a master at that caliber. He'd go into detail on how to load to knock over those rams at 200 yards. In a day where most clubs ban pistol shooting at 100 yards, I was in awe at his accomplishments with a pistol.

I hope the shooters in heaven are ready. A great man just joined the ranks.

And those of us here on earth who knew him have a very rich legacy to follow.

Good bye my friend, I would not be who I am if not for your influence.

Back
Top Bottom