Response from GROUPON concerning their no firearm related deals

Here is the email I got back after telling them they are alienating a huge clientele base:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

We understand that this is a sensitive topic, and that some of our customers may not agree with our choice to pause the promotion of firearm-related deals. Groupon has always aimed to offer a diverse range of products and services to meet the various tastes and interests of our subscribers. However, at this time, enough customers and merchants have voiced their opinions that we believe a hiatus is warranted.

Please note that we have never sold guns, and this hiatus only applies to firearm-related deals including shooting ranges, clay pigeon shooting, and concealed weapons training classes. We have not made a final determination regarding this category -- we are simply taking a break and may reevaluate in the future.

We genuinely appreciate your opinion and the feedback you've given us. I'll be sure to share your comments with the appropriate people.

Regards,

Diane T
Groupon Customer Support

Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us,

We have no balls and are scared of all the dumb people who are scared of black guns and shit on the constitution. Therefor, we found that taking firearms related services off our web site would please the sheep and they have all the power.

Is what that statement says.

Here's what I'd say.

Hi Diane,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

I understand you are running a business and must do what makes sense for that business. I'm sure you are aware that people are not required to participate in every deal Groupon offers. For example, I may choose to participate in deals related to steakhouses, but not in those related to day spas. By that same logic, other customers may choose not to participate in deals pertaining to firearms training events, while still enjoying deals at their local ice cream parlor.

At a time when the firearms industry is consistently growing and turning record profits, I find it difficult to understand why you would suspend and potentially discontinue providing offers related to this industry. Furthermore, as you stated, your only relation to the firearms industry has been in the area of training and competition. Your customers who disapprove of firearms should at least like to know that you're promoting access to education and safe sporting events. And of course, if they are not interested in these deals, they are free to ignore them.

I'm sorry that some of your customers are so uncomfortable with firearms that you have had to alienate an entire section of your customer base.

Regards,
ToddDubya

Yeah I got a similar response saying "they were great full for my perspective" and they "will make sure it is voiced to the appropriate people" .... See ya groupon!

Dear Scott,
Thank you for your opinion, and we'll keep it in mind.

At Groupon we're dedicated to making sure our core client base of trust fund hipsters will be able to enjoy the great deals we put together. Many of them have voiced fears over guns, as well as tools, and anything non-ironic. We're going to take a break from these categories for an indeterminable period, but we'll continue to offer the same great deals on mustache tattoos.

We hope you enjoy,
The team at Groupon

Glad I've never bought anything from them, nor have an account. [smile] I'm going to tell family members to cancel their accounts, or at least not buy anything from groupon. Maybe if they suddenly lose many thousands of customers they'll get the idea (send the reason for canceling as they're refusal to offer these firearms related items). Vote with your wallets and they should get the message. Well, provided they're not a bunch of mindless government lap-dogs.

Wow that was quick....

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

We understand that this is a sensitive topic, and that some of our customers may not agree with our choice to pause the promotion of firearm-related deals. Groupon has always aimed to offer a diverse range of products and services to meet the various tastes and interests of our subscribers. However, at this time, enough customers and merchants have voiced their opinions that we believe a hiatus is warranted.

Please note that we have never sold guns, and this hiatus only applies to firearm-related deals including shooting ranges, clay pigeon shooting, and concealed weapons training classes. We have not made a final determination regarding this category -- we are simply taking a break and may reevaluate in the future.

We genuinely appreciate your opinion and the feedback you've given us. I'll be sure to share your comments with the appropriate people.

Regards,

Ali V.
Groupon Customer Support

Have no idea who they are and I have never used them!

Like everything, it used to be pretty good, offering actual discounts. Now people quote inflated prices and get market value.
As an example, if there was a training class that you knew was always $300, and it was being offered for $200 if 50 people signed up, that was a good deal.
Now the trend is to sell it at $300 but say, "This class is normally $599, ZOMG look at the savings!"

I'm resurrecting this thread because I wanted to find out if Groupon is still anti firearm. Back in January I promised them I would never use their service again unless they changed the policy and allowed firearm related deals.
I was talking to a shop owner(salon) that had used groupon a few times with good success. She tells me that groupon keeps nearly half of the money they collect. ie. $50 of food for $25. The shop owner only gets about 12 or 15 dollars of the 25 that groupon collects. I haven't really missed using the coupons but every once in a while there's a deal that tempts me. So I had an idea. Next time I see one I'm going to go into the store and tell them I would like the deal without buying the groupon. Seems like a win win. Maybe we can start a movement.

Not a bad idea... Offering to give them the full groupon amount (for the deal) does sound like win/win to me too. You get a better priced item, and they get the full amount (not half)...

Post up how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom