• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response From Ed Markey

Dear (Loser),

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about gun control in America. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this very important matter.

The fatal school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut shocked and horrified us all. Our hearts broke for the loss of so many young lives. As I consider the family members and friends who received the worst news imaginable, I send my thoughts and prayers to each of them. This tragedy is yet another reminder that now is the time to tackle gun violence in our nation. Thirty-four people are killed with guns every day in America, and it is past time for a national debate on solutions to ensure that this terrible trend in mass shootings finally comes to an end. As a Member of Congress, I believe we must honor our duty to ensure the safety of all Americans by committing to pass legislation to stop this violence and protect our children.

While every American has a Second Amendment right to bear arms, I believe we must enact the proper protections to prevent assault weapons from hitting our streets and keep firearms out of the wrong people’s hands. In 1994, I worked with the late Senator Edward Kennedy to urge President Clinton to place an emergency moratorium on the importation of military style assault weapons from China, including the AK-47 and Uzi. At the time, it was estimated that between 425,000 and two million modified rifles had been imported into the U.S. since 1991, selling for under $130 a piece. President Clinton imposed the ban, and these guns were kept off the street. Just as we did two decades ago, we need to come together today to pass necessary reform.

This is why I have co-sponsored bills such as the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act of 2011 (H.R. 308), the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2011 (H.R.1781), the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2011 (H.R. 591), and the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 (H.R.1022). These bills would make all Americans safer by requiring background checks on all gun sales and keeping high-powered assault weapons off the streets. I plan to support the assault weapons ban bill again when it is re-introduced in the 113th session of Congress. I am proud to say that the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has awarded me a 100 percent rating for my stance on gun laws.

Thank you again for writing. As a nation we will continue to keep the community of Newtown in our thoughts and prayers and to offer all the support that we can during this exceedingly difficult time. The strength of our nation is measured best in how we come together during times of tragedy, and this time is no different. I will remain resolute in my duty to respond to this tragedy and do all I can to prevent another senseless outburst of violence. Please do not hesitate to write to me again on this or any other issue. To receive periodic policy updates, sign up for my e-newsletter at http://markey.house.gov/Signup.

Sincerely,

Ed Markey

Ed Markey
Member of Congress

---

Not Surprising, I suppose. It would be nice if at least one of my elected officials had something vaguely resembling my political views, but since I didn't vote for any of them, this is what I get.

I guess my rights are exactly what the government decides they are.

Once you've been in office 37 years, the interests of the people you represent is your last concern.

And yet these people continue to get re-elected and no one claims they voted for them!

His "rating" among his peers...what is this a ****ing popularity contest? Do they still think that stuffs important?...and he helps make decisions to govern this country...vomit.

Where can I get his email address? or does someone want to send this?

Dear Mr. Markey,
A friend of mine emailed you regarding the Newtown CT murders and the onslaught of upcoming proposals for more gun control. In your response you mentioned that you and President Clinton were instrumental in keeping assault rifles 'off of the streets'. That is an interesting claim which seems to indicate that you choose to ignore reality and make things up as you go. I will not even bother contesting that statement. Let's just cut to the chase. You Sir, have blood on your hands. You refuse to do anything meaningful to stop the violence that has become all to common in our society! Even now in the wake of the shootings in CT you choose to rant and rail about guns rather than do anything meaningful. You know that your gun control measures will do nothing to save anyone. After the Columbine incident President Clinton initiated a program to put law enforcement in schools. At least President Clinton understood that legislation would be ineffective and he attempted to put someone or something between murderers and school children. It is my understanding that you have been in office for 3 decades or more. During that time our country has seen decaying morality and a number of mass murders. What have you done to actually help? When will you actually do something? I understand you are a proponent of gun control and it is clear you have no respect for the Bill of Rights. It is certainly your right to express those opinions and as a politician you certainly have the right to vote as you see fit. Although I would like to remind you that you took an oath to defend our constitution. However, please do not pretend to promote these proposed bans under the pretense of protecting our children. You and I both know the truth and it is time you stop using the acts of villains and murderers to promote your cause.

Last edited:
Screw his email address. Who has his real address? That needs to be published.

In fact I think we need to create and interactive map of every anti in the country so you can log on and print out a list.

Remember, anytime you here this, "While every American has a Second Amendment right to bear arms..." or this, "Look, I believe in the Second Amendment..." or this "The Second Amendment is very important to me, but..."

They're antis. Through and through.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you've been in office 37 years, the interests of the people you represent is your last concern.

Actually, Markey probably represents your typical Massachusetts inhabitant.

Back
Top Bottom