• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response from Channel 5 regarding Fine's Editorial on gun control

LTCRN

NES Member
Unfortunately I deleted my original e mail but here is their response to it.

The WCVB-TV Channel 5 Editorial Board appreciates the time you took to write a thoughtful and passionate response to our recent editorial. We understand that the first item concerning Governor Patrick’s proposed firearms bill disturbed you; certainly that was not our intent, so a quick clarification of our position is in order.

Last year, of the nearly 2,000 illegal weapons recovered in Massachusetts, the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced about half, and of the more than a 1,000 accounted for, the Agency discovered more than a third originated from licensed dealers and stores. Although the Bay State has passed some of the toughest gun control laws in the U.S., our public safety officials are asking for more help. We support the right of individuals to purchase firearms; however, we were questioning why individuals would need to purchase an unlimited number each month?

Also, we regret if you misread our meaning – in no way did we intend to suggest that those who purchase weapons are without morals. Individuals who buy weapons in order to sell them to criminals lack ethical and moral values.

Thank you again for contacting us and sharing your thoughts.

The Channel 5 Editorial Board

The WCVB-TV Channel 5 Editorial Board appreciates the time you took to write a thoughtful and passionate response to our recent editorial. We understand that the first item concerning Governor Patrick’s proposed firearms bill disturbed you; certainly that was not our intent, so a quick clarification of our position is in order.

Last year, of the nearly 2,000 illegal weapons recovered in Massachusetts, the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced about half, and of the more than a 1,000 accounted for, the Agency discovered more than a third originated from licensed dealers and stores. Although the Bay State has passed some of the toughest gun control laws in the U.S., our public safety officials are asking for more help. We support the right of individuals to purchase firearms; however, we were questioning why individuals would need to purchase an unlimited number each month?

Also, we regret if you misread our meaning – in no way did we intend to suggest that those who purchase weapons are without morals. Individuals who buy weapons in order to sell them to criminals lack ethical and moral values.

The part that gets my goat is "why should you buy more then one?". I retort and ask, why should you be allowed more then 1 editorial a month?

Last year, of the nearly 2,000 illegal weapons recovered in Massachusetts, the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced about half, and of the more than a 1,000 accounted for, the Agency discovered more than a third originated from licensed dealers and stores.

So 333 out of 2000 guns origninated from licensed dealers and stores???
I have a few questions about that!!
1) Why don't they focus on the 1667?
2) Why don't they arrest and prosecute the thieves who stole the guns in the first place?
3) If a gun doesn't originate from a licensed dealer or store where does it come from exactly?
4) What is the definition of a 'recovered' gun?

ETA
5)Of the 333 guns how many were purchased from MA dealers/stores?
6)Will this help close the gun show loophole? [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Last year, of the nearly 2,000 illegal weapons recovered in Massachusetts, the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced about half, and of the more than a 1,000 accounted for, the Agency discovered more than a third originated from licensed dealers and stores.

So arrest them. Problem solved.

Although the Bay State has passed some of the toughest gun control laws in the U.S., our public safety officials are asking for more help.

Why do they need more help? The FBI was able to trace 30% of the guns. Were any arrests made? Were they traced to straw purchases? Were they traced back to Joe Schmo who's gun was stolen from his house years ago? What about the other 70% of the guns? Did they magically appear?

We support the right of individuals to purchase firearms; however, we were questioning why individuals would need to purchase an unlimited number each month?

Because it's my right as an American to do so, just as it is my right to speak whatever I want, and worship whatever I want. Would you question an Indian-American why they NEED to worship multiple gods? I mean, isn't one-God-per-month enough? Why do Muslims NEED to pray 5 times a day? Isn't once enough? Why do I need to be able to buy more than 1 book per month?

Rights do not have to be justified. They just exist.

Also, you have only been loosely able to account for 30% of the firearms in question. And those were traced back to straw purchases and theft, two things which are already illegal. You already have the tools, use them.

The portion highlighted is the " public disinformation factor"......Any gun traced would eventually lead back to the origin of a licenced gun dealer unless the gun was built in someones basement and sold to an end user.

If there were 300+ guns were traced directly back to the licensed dealer with no other purchaser in between, and no stolen gun report on said gun was ever filed, there should be 300+ pending or active prosecutions awaiting in Masschusetts courts. They know full well that this is not the case and that all of those guns were stolen from their current owners and sold on the streets by the thief or whomever they fenced it to, or were bought by people using(good) false identification.

I don't buy any of the statistical data presented to the public on these matters by the media because its 99.99% lies and deliberate disinformation designed to garner public support for tyrannical laws.

As for NEED.......thats another injection of BS into the situation....designed to sway public consciousness into thinking that NEED has anything to do with it, rather than the simple matter of freedon of choice.

If government is allowed to base everything the public buys based on NEED, we will have shed our Constitutional Republic for a Marxist tyranny.

NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_each_according_to_his_ability,_to_each_according_to_his_need

The portion highlighted is the " public disinformation factor"......Any gun traced would eventually lead back to the origin of a licenced gun dealer unless the gun was built in someones basement and sold to an end user.

If there were 300+ guns were traced directly back to the licensed dealer with no other purchaser in between, and no stolen gun report on said gun was ever filed, there should be 300+ pending or active prosecutions awaiting in Masschusetts courts. They know full well that this is not the case and that all of those guns were stolen from their current owners and sold on the streets by the thief or whomever they fenced it to, or were bought by people using(good) false identification.

I don't buy any of the statistical data presented to the public on these matters by the media because its 99.99% lies and deliberate disinformation designed to garner public support for tyrannical laws.

As for NEED.......thats another injection of BS into the situation....designed to sway public consciousness into thinking that NEED has anything to do with it, rather than the simple matter of freedon of choice.

If government is allowed to base everything the public buys based on NEED, we will have shed our Constitutional Republic for a Marxist tyranny.

NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_each_according_to_his_ability,_to_each_according_to_his_need

Don't forget about the fact that no where in that reply does it state those "dealers or stores" were even located in Massachusetts. I'd be willing to bet they weren't located in MA which is another reason this law won't help deal with the problem.

So, one-gun-a-month is going to stop J. Random Gangbanger from shooting someone using a stolen gun. Sure.

I'll keep watching the sky for those pigs that must be flying.

News Papers facilitate Liable and Plagerism.

New Law: Can't buy more than 1 News Paper per month!

Or even better:

Terrorists select targets which will be covered by TV News Media as a method to spread the terror effect to the masses and multiply the effectiveness of their attacks. As such, the News Media is providing assistance to Terrorist in their efforts and cause.

Thus, to combat terrorism, we will restrict each media outlet to a single News broadcast per month in order to combat terrorism and protect the lives of the citizens of this country.

LTCRN... will you be responding to them? I certainly would... by asking them why individuals would need the ability to express themselves so freely? Would it be okay for the government to limit you to one speech per month? Would it be okay for the government to limit you to one book per month? One Article? A Right is a Right is a Right.

The FBI was able to trace 30% of the guns.

Nope, 333/2000 = 16.7%

However, percentage is irrelevant. You guys are trying to employee logic and reasoning to argue with moonbats that have none. [wink] Good luck. This law is NOT about gun crime or stopping violent crime. And it is certainly NOT based on what you or I would consider logic. It is based on political logic, thus our arguments are immaterial and fall on deaf ears. [sad2]

We support the right of individuals to purchase firearms; however, we were questioning why individuals would need to purchase an unlimited number each month?

My problem here is also public misinformation being that this isn't all this bill would cover it's just what they say it covers because to a non gun owner it is the most "common sense" part of the bill to make the gun owner look like they are just out to buy as many guns as possible.

The Channel 5 Editorial Board[/QUOTE]

Actually the point about newspapers being the primary cause of terrorism is absolutely true. If the networks didn't give round the clock front page breathless coverage of every attack, then the value of any terrorist attacks would be much lower. The media use these attacks in a cynical and calculated way to make money for themselves and sell advertising.

If it saves even one child, we have to muzzle the press. All stories about terrorist attacks must run no sooner than six months after the attack, with
strict penalties including jail time for reporters or publishers who endanger the public safety.

Also the speed limit should be no higher than 30 miles per hour, again with jail time for violators. That should save tens of thousands of lives every year.
The chance of killing or maiming someone with a car is proportional the number of miles driven, so one trip per day should also be the limit. Except
for police or emergency services.

Wow, those straw purchasers and Gun show loophole sellers must REALLY plan ahead. The AVERAGE time from sale of a firearm to recovery by police was over 13 years! Jeez, I gotta figure out what is gonna be popular with the ganbangers in 2025 and plan ahead now....

So using the moonbat logic we are going to have to go to one gun a month for over a decade before we should see significant changes in the stats.

Honestly, forget muzzling the press, lets go after somthing that is NOT in the constitution. Anyone with a pool that allows a child within 100 yards should be arrested. Pools should have to registered, licensed and locked up when not in use by a "pool license" holder. We need to create pool free zones, after all, its for the children. Just think, if only one child could be saved, it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Lynn is in the house! [rockon] represent!!!! [cheers]

so a trace is meaningful how? say i buy a gun, it gets stolen. BFD, outside of my own issues when filing a FA-10 for a loss, they can trace it to me all they want.... if the gun was stolen and recovered three years later, how is this important? THE Fin GUN WAS STOLEN, FROM ME, BY A CRIMINAL. that's what they do, they STEAL stuff, because their ma'ma was a hoe and daddy was a Pimp, so they weren't hugged enough nor breast fed.....

like saying if someone car jacks me a kills a puppy and it's owner, it's somehow my fault I got car jacked?

don't even bother arguing with these idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.. 7 machine guns in 2009? That surprises me, I'd have thought it'd be closer to zero.

I'd bet a week's pay that none of those seven guns were registered transferables and were either illegal home built or illegally converted guns........they'll never tell you that in any statistic or in the news.

LTCRN... will you be responding to them? I certainly would... by asking them why individuals would need the ability to express themselves so freely? Would it be okay for the government to limit you to one speech per month? Would it be okay for the government to limit you to one book per month? One Article? A Right is a Right is a Right.

I will respond to their e mail and I will include all of the ACCURATE statements that all of you have made. I hope I can find my origingal e mail that I wrote to Fine. Unfortunately I wrote it at 2 AM, and can't recall my exact statements that I made to his moronic television statements. Thanks to all that have responded.

Back
Top Bottom