Resizing .223 - ring on brass

Viper22

NES Member
Hey all - quick question on the brass pictured below. After resizing, there is a ring on the brass, which can be felt with a fingernail. It has happened on two out of 150 so far. Dies are new RCBS .223/5.56 AR dies. I'm wondering if this is a concern, or if they are still usable. I've reloaded plenty of pistol calibers, but this is my first entry into reloading for rifle.

Thanks,

IMG_1303.jpg

don't know for sure, is that ring a groove? if it is, it didn't come from the die. i'd say it came from the rifle chamber. either there was a problem with the reamer or it wasn't polished properly. of course just guesses, hard to tell from a picture.

is that once fired brass or range pickup brass, or brass thats been previously reloaded, and if it has how many times? a ring like that around a piece of brass can be a sign that its time to toss the case or put it in the scrap bucket

It looks pretty scratched up as well. Try another set of dies if you know someone who has them. If it is just a couple, toss them if you habe any doubts. Are they all from the same lot?

Did you clean your dies before using them?

Is the ring a groove or is there a lip .

Take a paper clip and bend a small 90' tip to get inside the case and see if you can feel it in on the inside?
First glance it looks like where the die ends and the case head was or is expanding in a loose chamber. I sometimes get brass that was shot in Machine Guns. i will get a similar look but its not as defined. You see it but dont feel it.

Do you have a history of this brass?
Fired from same rifle, same headstamp?
I have some older PMC brass and even fired in the same rifle will go through the sizing die harder?

Did you clean your dies before using them?

Is the ring a groove or is there a lip .

Take a paper clip and bend a small 90' tip to get inside the case and see if you can feel it in on the inside?
First glance it looks like where the die ends and the case head was or is expanding in a loose chamber. I sometimes get brass that was shot in Machine Guns. i will get a similar look but its not as defined. You see it but dont feel it.

Do you have a history of this brass?
Fired from same rifle, same headstamp?
I have some older PMC brass and even fired in the same rifle will go through the sizing die harder?

Yes, I cleaned the dies before use. Die is smooth.

I guess I should have kept the brass separate. Its a mix of mostly once-fired and could be from multiple rifles. There is some range brass mixed in.

I'll toss them & move on.

I bet every one if those is not once fired and close to having a full case separation due to fatigue.

What is the overall length of those cases now? Also pics of the case mouth and primer pocket/base please.

When in doubt dump it out. My guess is it’s the range brass. Does it have crimped primers? The only .223/5.56 I save from the range is stuff with crimped primers.

I bet every one if those is not once fired and close to having a full case separation due to fatigue.

What is the overall length of those cases now? Also pics of the case mouth and primer pocket/base please.

After resizing, 1.760 & 1.765. LC 20 headstamp. My guess is you're right. Likely from the range pick-ups, as all my other known once fired brass is not exhibiting this condition.

After resizing 250 rounds, it’s only been 3 pcs with the ring. Probably some range pick ups mixed with my once fired.

Back
Top Bottom