• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Resistance training?

Anyone ever use resistance training to build muscle memory, speed, etc? I was given some old lifting elastic bands, like 5, 7, 13, 19 lbs resistance and thought setting up a little station to practice different motions with using one end as the grip.

Originally I figured i would use them to practice the golf swing trying to increase my swing speed but figured could use in this domain as well. Thoughts?

I'm hardly qualified to be a golf instructor, but one idea to increase your swing speed is add a ~1/2 lb or more of weight to one of your mid-irons when you warm up (think baseball bat donut; my brother came up with some bent metal coated in vinyl that works really well). The extra weight improves your ability to 'snap' the club face through the ball. Have added 10 yards to my irons w/ this method, and a bit more to my driver.

Not just for improving performance but preventing injury. However i have heard a lot more about core execises for improving performance than "sport specific" exercises". Overall anything done correctly is better than nothing. Take it from me as i continue to recover 7 months from a shooting related injury.

Never for muscle memory or speed, but I second the comment about core. Nearly every movement involves the core. Not just the abs which a lot of people focus on. Hit the lower back and obliques as well.

Reading the title i thought this was going to be an awesome thread about tactics used for resisting the continuous government advances into our civil liberties. Im kind of dissapointed. Not that i would partake in such a thing if one was available. I ♥ .gov

I have been weight training for 15 years and competed in bodybuilding competitions in my 20's. I'm very strong but I was surprised how much muscular endurance is required in shooting, especially in the lower back and shoulders. Aside from keeping your abs and erector muscles in shape, something you may want to try is a shoulder lateral static hold. You don't need any weights. A pair of nice sized hardcover books will do fine. Basically just hold your arms out so they make a "T" with your torso. Hold this position for a 20 count. You can increase the resistance and time as you progress. They actually did a variation of this in the Worlds Strongest Man comps but they used axes as the weights.

If you have big arms this will be even more important as that just adds more weight to the what your shoulders must support when shooting. The muscles we use to hold a pistol are small so endurance is key.

Back
Top Bottom