• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Resident Pistol Permit Question

I have a couple of questions that I haven't seen the answer to yet. My sister lives in NH, and has a pistol permit which allows her to carry concealed, loaded in a vehicle, etc.

She is wondering if she needs to carry the permit on her while she is carrying a concealed pistol. And, she says that the permit is a piece of paper that was part of a carbon copy and isn't any kind of card or traditional license size permit. So, she is concerned that if she keeps it in her purse or wallet it will rip.

Secondly, her name is spelled incorrectly on the permit. One letter is an "O" instead of an "A", or the other way around. I cant remember. Does anyone know how to have this resolved? Do the permits come from the local PD or from the state? And, would it be a big problem if she didn't have that resolved and just left it be misspelled?

Thanks!

I have a couple of questions that I haven't seen the answer to yet. My sister lives in NH, and has a pistol permit which allows her to carry concealed, loaded in a vehicle, etc.

She is wondering if she needs to carry the permit on her while she is carrying a concealed pistol. And, she says that the permit is a piece of paper that was part of a carbon copy and isn't any kind of card or traditional license size permit. So, she is concerned that if she keeps it in her purse or wallet it will rip.

Secondly, her name is spelled incorrectly on the permit. One letter is an "O" instead of an "A", or the other way around. I cant remember. Does anyone know how to have this resolved? Do the permits come from the local PD or from the state? And, would it be a big problem if she didn't have that resolved and just left it be misspelled?

Thanks!

It's a license, not a permit.

Residents are not required to have the license on them while carrying concealed. If she wants to carry it and is concerned about it tearing, a fair number of people have the license photoreduced and carry a laminated copy.

The license for residents is issued locally. I wouldn't worry about the spelling. Just try to have it corrected when she renews.

The paper license is really no problem. I still carry one that was issued in 2001 and it is in fine shape. Just wanted to see how it would hold up. I prefer that over a thick plastic card. It is also cheaper to produce and issue. Why waste money on a fancy, expensive, useless card. At $10, it's a fantastic deal.

As was stated above NH law doesn't require you to have the license on your person. From a commonsense perspective it would be very useful should you be in a situation where you need to provide information that you have a valid license. Since if you have the paper on you you can give them the license number and from there it is a quick call to your towns police department to verify that it is indeed a valid license. Also since NH law doesn't specify anything about carrying the paper on you, you could easily photocopy it and keep the photocopy on your person. If she was really concerned she could go to her local police station and ask if they could change the misspelling. I bet they'd tell her to make sure it was spelled correctly when she picked up her renewal and if it was still misspelled to have them correct it then and there.

The paper license is really no problem. I still carry one that was issued in 2001 and it is in fine shape. Just wanted to see how it would hold up. I prefer that over a thick plastic card. It is also cheaper to produce and issue. Why waste money on a fancy, expensive, useless card. At $10, it's a fantastic deal.

Free/not needed is a better deal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Free/not needed is a better deal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I fully agree, but NH's license is the most nonrestrictive in the country and the cheapest of the states with licenses (for residents).

I stopped at Staples to have my permit laminated and they asked if I wanted it shrunk down to credit card size while at it. They went on to tell me that the police department was sending people to them for that. They did my license and my friends and charged me $3.00 for the both of them.
I really wore my old one and its nice to have a smaller copy. At that price you can have several copies of it.

Back
Top Bottom