ReRegister?

MuzzleDiscipline

NES Life Member
NES Member
So one sells a handgun out of state and then later repurchases it as a bare frame.

It was registered before it was sold out of state.

Now after it re enters as a frame and then is completed as a firearm does one fill a new EFA-10?

Consider the state has no record of it having been sold out of state so when it returns to EFA-10 again
makes no changes to the state database but is never the less a new acquisition and thus my guess it is
should be re registered but from a practical standpoint does it need be?

Interesting question and I've been mulling it over for quite a while now. Here's my thoughts on why you need to. If you sold it out of state, then it went through at least one FFL's books to get to its new owner. Then coming back to you, its gone through at least one more FFL's books. So there is a trail of it coming to you in MA and I believe the law says you have 5 or 7 days to record that transaction and we're recording transactions not registering guns in eFA-10 system. I think from that standpoint you'd need to do the eFA-10.

Curious to see what others say though.

First. Stop calling it registration. Full stop. Correct anyone who ever calls it registration. It's not. If it was an actually functional registration system, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Two: to comply you need to eFA-10 to record the transfer (sale) of the frame to you. Just like you would with anything else.

(Unless you moved out of state and then back in. That's a different hill o pills.)

First. Stop calling it registration. Full stop. Correct anyone who ever calls it registration. It's not. If it was an actually functional registration system, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Two: to comply you need to eFA-10 to record the transfer (sale) of the frame to you. Just like you would with anything else.

(Unless you moved out of state and then back in. That's a different hill o pills.)
Where does it say to record the frame?

Nowhere! In fact for many years FRB was telling people (and dealers) NOT to FA-10 frames as they are NOT guns per MGL.

Once the owner puts it together (again), it should be recorded on the eFA-10 system under "registration" (no info on source)!

Where does it say to record the frame?

Nowhere! In fact for many years FRB was telling people (and dealers) NOT to FA-10 frames as they are NOT guns per MGL.

Once the owner puts it together (again), it should be recorded on the eFA-10 system under "registration" (no info on source)!

THIS. Thank you Lens. I had meant to add the "eFA-10 requires when it's assembled just like an AR lower" bit but got distracted.

Of course.. you can probably just never assemble the frame into a firearm capable of doing a thing with a primer. In that case. I guess no action is fine.

First it was assembled and EFA-10 registered. Then it was sold. It has been re introduced as a frame into the Commonwealth soon to be reassembled and EFA-10 registered. It just occurred to me that since the state has no record of it leaving re registering the same serial number might trigger some unwanted attention. It would seem to require an odd set of circumstances to reveal it needing a second registration but I had every intention of doing so.

First it was assembled and EFA-10 registered. Then it was sold. It has been re introduced as a frame into the Commonwealth soon to be reassembled and EFA-10 registered. It just occurred to me that since the state has no record of it leaving re registering the same serial number might trigger some unwanted attention. It would seem to require an odd set of circumstances to reveal it needing a second registration but I had every intention of doing so.
I very seriously doubt it. Nobody looks to see if something was registered before, not unless they are doing an investigation for other reasons. If so, showing it was sold to a dealer anywhere ends the mystery for those inquiring.

Back
Top Bottom