• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Requirements to Purchase Guns in NH (Yes, I'm from MA)

Just like my last two threads on similar topics, this might be one of those things where it's so obvious that I shouldn't have to ask. Alas, I'm from MA and it may take a while to get my head out of my ass. I also searched and couldn't find anything on NES to answer my question.

I'm moving to NH November 1st. Can I go to a store and buy a Glock 19, shotgun and ammo, or do I need to wait until I have a NH driver's license? Articles online would lead me to believe that there's no law stating I have to have proof of NH residency.

Worth mentioning that my primary residence will still be considered to be in MA (and therefore I can't get a NH driver's license immediately) at least until January 1st (don't ask why, long story), but I will have a lease under my name in NH.

shotgun isn't an issue, as long as it is MA compliant, you can buy in NH anytime, and if it never makes it to MA there is no FA-10 required.

Some dealers may accept something other than a DL for ID, but don't bet on it.

So you can buy a shotgun now, as for the Glock, no opinion.

It would never be crossing into MA. Just purchasing in NH and keeping it at my NH location. Any time I'm in MA it would stay locked up in my NH house. Same intentions with the Glock.

I'll have to read up and figure out if a 7-round tube qualified as MA compliant on the shotgun. Anyone know if it does in this scenario?

I think as long as you're a mass resident you can't buy a handgun out of state without having it shipped to a ma ffl. Long guns you can buy, some nh dealers may even sell you a post ban configure ar15 etc... But I'd assume if you need to prove your age or residency your ma license would be used. Requiring a ma fid of ltc

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-f-4473.html

Q: Is a Social Security card a proper means of identification for purchasing a firearm from an FFL?
No. A Social Security card, alien registration card, or military identification alone does not contain sufficient information to identify a firearms purchaser. However, a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.

[27 CFR 478.11 and 478.124(c)]

So... you can use your MA DL to satisfy the requirement of a government-issued document that establishes your name, date of birth, and photograph. Your water bill (issued by the town), house deed or mortgage (both are recorded at the county register of deeds), and possibly school records can be used to establish your address.

The key thing to remember is, no FFL is ever obligated to complete a sale if he isn't satisfied, or just doesn't want to.

I'll have to read up and figure out if a 7-round tube qualified as MA compliant on the shotgun. Anyone know if it does in this scenario?

If it would never be coming into MA, it's irrelevant.

WRT to tube capacity on a pump shotgun, you won't find a concrete answer. EOPS will say it is a large capacity feeding device, the MGLs would say it is likely not.

Handguns are checked through a NH run version of NICS. They will deny you without a valid NH id (drivers license or non drivers id). I don't know how the upcoming NH voter id will affect that.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-f-4473.html

Q: Is a Social Security card a proper means of identification for purchasing a firearm from an FFL?
No. A Social Security card, alien registration card, or military identification alone does not contain sufficient information to identify a firearms purchaser. However, a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.

[27 CFR 478.11 and 478.124(c)]

So... you can use your MA DL to satisfy the requirement of a government-issued document that establishes your name, date of birth, and photograph. Your water bill (issued by the town), house deed or mortgage (both are recorded at the county register of deeds), and possibly school records can be used to establish your address.

The key thing to remember is, no FFL is ever obligated to complete a sale if he isn't satisfied, or just doesn't want to.

Key point right there, well stated. You can't force an FFL, you can only satisfy his requirement.

Handguns are checked through a NH run version of NICS. They will deny you without a valid NH id (drivers license or non drivers id). I don't know how the upcoming NH voter id will affect that.

Federal regulations allow for these type of purchases, even if they are handguns, as long as you reside in NH, that is you are present with the intention of making a home in the state.

I have house in NH but I live in MA--I'm up there nearly every weekend, when I'm in NH I'm a resident of NH for purposes of purchasing firearms, including handguns.

I have called many shops to see what their policy is in this regard and it was 80% saying 3 months utility bill and a recent tax bill plus my MA drivers license and 20% saying that as a matter of policy they don't sell to anyone from MA unless they have MA FID/LTC etc.

I was explicit in asking about handguns as well.

Then again, I haven't tested this in practice.

Last edited:
In NH? Handguns?

If you "personally know" a person you can sell them anything you want as long as they are both NH residents.

The term "personally known" is not defined anywhere, I have bought and sold guns from NES members based on our interactions here and nothing more.

If the person is not "personally known to you", the buyer should produce at your request a NH P&R license.
If they have one of those, you are pretty safe and could rely on that as a defense should something go wrong (like they turned out to be a 8 time felon)

IIRC there is no requirement for a P&R for a long gun purchase, but seeing one, or a drivers license, and getting something in writing for your records can't hurt

Worth mentioning that my primary residence will still be considered to be in MA (and therefore I can't get a NH driver's license immediately) at least until January 1st (don't ask why, long story), but I will have a lease under my name in NH.

So did you sign your lease yet? If so, you're now considered a resident. A utility bill and the lease agreement might satisfy the FFL requirements at least when it comes to ammo and long guns. Handguns might be a different story since those checks first go through the NH state police (who then call the FBI/NICS).

So did you sign your lease yet? If so, you're now considered a resident. A utility bill and the lease agreement might satisfy the FFL requirements at least when it comes to ammo and long guns. Handguns might be a different story since those checks first go through the NH state police (who then call the FBI/NICS).

I signed the lease and got my temp NH driver's license. Went in and got the gun. I had a complication because the MA background check system was down, which delayed me 3 days, but I got it on the temp driver's license.

So did you sign your lease yet? If so, you're now considered a resident.

Not really. When I moved to MA from CT, I signed a lease 1 month before it took effect. I still had my apt in CT and was living in a motel in Waltham 5 days/week while working in MA, going home to CT on weekends. I was still officially a resident of CT! When I actually moved into my MA apt, that day I became a MA resident but not before. [I suppose I could have claimed dual residency for a month prior, but this was 40+ years ago and not even a thought/need back then.]

Is a NH Non-Driving ID just as good as a NH Drivers License for the purpose buying a handgun?

To get a Non-Driving ID you have to have a rental or lease agreement in NH.

Just like my last two threads on similar topics, this might be one of those things where it's so obvious that I shouldn't have to ask. Alas, I'm from MA and it may take a while to get my head out of my ass. I also searched and couldn't find anything on NES to answer my question.

I'm moving to NH November 1st. Can I go to a store and buy a Glock 19, shotgun and ammo, or do I need to wait until I have a NH driver's license? Articles online would lead me to believe that there's no law stating I have to have proof of NH residency.

Just tell them that you’re either L,G,T, or B and you demand service or you’re going to sue them.

Some dealears just want to see your property tax bill and will explain that the item you purchase must stay in NH. If you happen to have a unrestricted LTC out of a city like Boston, I’d recommend you find a way to keep it.

If you have NH residency by Federal standards, the state of NH has no dealer purchase requirements over and above the Federal (that is,what's printed in the instructions on the 4473) and ATF guidance, e.g. "the intention of making a home in a State must be demonstrated to a Federal firearms licensee by presenting valid identification documents. Such documents include, but are not limited to, driver’s licenses, voter registration, tax records, or vehicle registration."

Is a NH Non-Driving ID just as good as a NH Drivers License for the purpose buying a handgun?
To get a Non-Driving ID you have to have a rental or lease agreement in NH.
New Hampshire will only issue a non-driver ID if you supply all the same documentation as you would for a driver's license, and sign a form declaring you do not hold an active driver's license in any other state.

Last edited:
Sorry to dig this up, but seems a passport plus a lease...and no mention of MA might be best.

Practical information, regardless of what the law is, based on recent conversation with a southern NH shop.
A gov issues picture ID to establish identity (DOB). If this doesn't have a NH address, some other gov document that does, tax bill, water bill, pretty much anything that comes from a gov and has your name and a NH address on it. They wouldn't take a lease as proof, it's not a gov document.

I'm a MA resident and purchased four pistols from two different stores in the past month in NH. They sold them to me with my MA license and a NH tax bill but the state background check is taking forever (going on four weeks)

I'm a MA resident and purchased four pistols from two different stores in the past month in NH. They sold them to me with my MA license and a NH tax bill but the state background check is taking forever (going on four weeks)
The background check is interesting, as my non-resident permit is going on 5 weeks.

The background check is interesting, as my non-resident permit is going on 5 weeks.

I did the out of state license in NH thinking it would be 2 weeks and it's been the same as MA which is crazy. Check hasn't cashed yet either. I'm not sure why the background checks are taking so long, the only thing I can think of is my NH address is not my normal address so they are confused by that for some reason. Really want those glocks though. :D

Weird, I just posted this in another thread
...I took the time to look into it and get the facts from the DOS itself.
The NH handgun background check system is a useless waste of taxpayer money. All they do is manually transcribe the information submitted to them into the Fed system. If that denies you for any reason other than them making a transcription mistake, they deny you and any appeal is referred to the Feds. They classify denials corrected because of their entry mistakes as "Amended Denials". And they're adding huge delays because they don't have the personnel to process the huge number of purchases. Feel free to contact the DOS to check for yourself.

In yet another thread I posted stats from them on applications, they are way beyond overloaded. But even with the overload I got a go ahead after just 3 days, just a few weeks ago. At four weeks I'd give them a call, they have been know to be slow to notify of a denial (even when the mistake turns out to be their fault. They've also occasionally misplaced an application.

I moved up from MA a little over five years ago. I started purchasing guns with a paper license and had no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom