• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Requirements to Possess handgun

I am a NH resident, but I go to school in MA. I am 20 years old and legally own a pistol in NH. What do I have to do/ is there anything I can do to legally be allowed to posses my gun in MA? I don't want to carry it, I just want to be able to have it legally and take it to the shooting range.

When you turn 21 you may apply for a non-resident permit to carry. It will cost you $100.00 each year plus a trip to Chelsea for an interview. It takes about 2 months (give or take) for the process to play out.

the other fact people are leaving out is yes you must be 21 in MA to get a non resident LTC and it will take a long time to process but you mentioned school... If you are living on campus or in campus housing it is against MA law to posess a firearm on school property... so even if you are 21 you may be unable to keep a gun if you live in campus housing!

p.s. if it is a state school apply as an illegal alien and you can get the in state tuition break...lol

If you are living on campus or in campus housing it is against MA law to posess a firearm on school property...
No, it's against MA law to CARRY a firearm on school property. That's a subtle but important difference.

In addition to that, many schools have a blanket "no firearms" policy that, if violated, can cause you to be expelled. If you are a college student and want to have a gun, live off campus so you don't have to deal with that mess. Make sure wherever you live isn't owned/run by the school.

OP, you need to wait until you are 21 and then apply for the non-resident MA permit. The process is long and extensive with the average time span being 4-6 months. No offense to bobsher, but while two months may have been realistic years back, from my own experience and reading around online that is no longer the case. Having said that, the people who handle the non-res permits are very professional and seem to work on them as quickly as possible. Good luck.

Bummer. Ya I am living off campus this year so I was gonna bring my gun down, but never mind, ill wait till next. Thanks everyone for the info.

Back
Top Bottom