Req. help for a Marine in his final days

dontpanic

NES Member
I worked with Gary for about ten years before he retired. He's about five-foot-nothing, and since he was the smallest guy in his platoon in Vietnam, he carried the machine gun.

Since the day I met him his life has been hell. I'll spare the details, but what he's been through medically I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. He's now at the VA hospital in West Roxbury, and based on our last few phone calls, he probably has a week or two left in his time here on the planet.

Gary doesn't have a will. Who do we know that could make a bedside visit and draw up a will? (He doesn't have any immediate family - he just wants all his assets to go to his "honorary nieces.") I'll cover whatever cost is involved.

Thanks in advance. I know you guys will come through!

(For those on both forums, I'm cross-posting this on NESR.)

Don T.

P.S. I'll be off-line later today as I go to visit him. I'll reply as best I can.

Can’t help, but I hope everything works out.

My understanding is that wills are simple enough to do in “kit” form. But you certainly shouldn’t take my advice.

it’s a good thing you’re doing.

I'll run it by some of the guys I served with, they might know somebody who can help. I'm surprised that the VA (maybe I shouldn't be from some of the things I've heard of the VA, but they've done alright by my Dad) doesn't have a POC for that already. Decent size crew on the email group, so it might take a few days to hear back from everyone. Will fire it off this afternoon and hopefully we'll get a bite or two.

There should be Social Services worker at the hospital that can help him. please contact them. There are people who are Notaries usually too. I'm retired RN, these services or a Patient Advocate that can help in every hospital I know.

@ old goat, I phoned the hospital today and they connected me to Gary's social worker. She said they don't offer that service there and that a will would have to be drafted by an attorney.

@ Len 2A-Training, I got a late start, and haven't connected with KM yet. (I'll keep trying.)

Edit - I connected with Attorney KM. The process is underway. Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:
Don,
Gary and I were in the same war and both 5' something, & both machine gunners. I'm dealing with my partially paralyzed medic buddy who BTW wants no visitors except me....as his friend and his health care proxy. I get a dying Marine wishes to be left alone, I understand & totally respect that. Just a thought, knowing Marines he may be a little more open to visitors if we had a Marine aboard. It will be a rough ride and two are better than one.

Update on Don.
I finally got through to him on his cell phone just now. Poor guy was so drugged, that he thought he was in Connecticut. He said he's having surgery soon, but he's more concerned about his car. It's at the V.A. hospital in Manchester, N.H., where he was transferred from, to West Roxbury. He'd like very much to have his car brought to his home in N.H., where it will be more safe. There is a problem however. He said the registration is expired. If anybody has any ideas how to help with this, please shout them out here, so we can help this man. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Semper Fi.

(Off topic: Just to clarify, I'm Don. Our veteran is Gary.)

I'm at the hospital now, Gary just went off for an x-ray. He is pretty heavily medicated; he didn't remember we had talked yesterday.

He had a visit yesterday, too, from another former coworker, so he's getting some company from time to time.

I'll see if another buddy can help with the car, but I'm not sure his wrecker is running.

(Off topic: Just to clarify, I'm Don. Our veteran is Gary.)

I'm at the hospital now, Gary just went off for an x-ray. He is pretty heavily medicated; he didn't remember we had talked yesterday.

He had a visit yesterday, too, from another former coworker, so he's getting some company from time to time.

I'll see if another buddy can help with the car, but I'm not sure his wrecker is running.
Sorry Don. I meant Gary. Glad to hear that Gary is getting more company. Rat 187 and I are planning to see him as well, when he's up to it.

Update on Don.
I finally got through to him on his cell phone just now. Poor guy was so drugged, that he thought he was in Connecticut. He said he's having surgery soon, but he's more concerned about his car. It's at the V.A. hospital in Manchester, N.H., where he was transferred from, to West Roxbury. He'd like very much to have his car brought to his home in N.H., where it will be more safe. There is a problem however. He said the registration is expired. If anybody has any ideas how to help with this, please shout them out here, so we can help this man. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Semper Fi.

His car registered in MA or NH? If in MA, message me, I may be able to help.

Gary lives in Derry, and I believe the car is at the VA facility in Manchester.

FYI, we discussed the car today - he's not terribly concerned about what he feels would be a $25 ticket. (I'm more concerned that the car could get towed.)

How far away (by miles) is his house from where the car is? If it’s short time then hell I’ll meet one of you guys up there, you run blocker behind me with your vehicle and I’ll drive it to his house. What’s the worst they can do to me? Stamp my meal card “no dessert”?

Or if it’s short money/distance I’ll split the tow cost if anybody else can pitch in.

Back
Top Bottom