Reporting

Just registered. Looks like a good place to be. My past includes 4 yrs. in the regular Army '67-'71 with 2 yrs. in a warm place that was not good for your health. Grew up in the midwest, then migrated from the flatlands to the northeast in '79. Happy to be here - or anywhere for that matter. :D

I was trying to explain to Tony how people here make up new ways to say town names. Remember I'm from MN so I'm not dropping my "R's".

Leominster = Lemon-stah
Peabody = P-buddy
Woburn = Wooo-burn
Medford = Med-furd
Harvard = Hah-vard
Dedham = Ded'em
Gardner = Gawd-nah
Worcester = Wis-Tah

derek said:
I was trying to explain to Tony how people here make up new ways to say town names. Remember I'm from MN so I'm not dropping my "R's".

Leominster = Lemon-stah
Peabody = P-buddy
Woburn = Wooo-burn
Medford = Med-furd
Harvard = Hah-vard
Dedham = Ded'em
Gardner = Gawd-nah
I thought Medford was Medfa?
I love showing out of staters a map, point out Worcester and ask them to pronounce it. Usually comes out Woor-Chester.
OK on your town WindWalker. Never been to Lemonster but I went to Lunenburg once.

It's one of those conservation laws that we learned about in physics class, like energy and momentum. People here have to drop R's so the New Yorkers will have extra ones to insert in their words.

While your getting into town names, there are always my two favorites, Belchertown and the town with a lisp, Athol.

Ken (from Wes-fud, originally from the large, relatively unpopulated, non-Stalinist portion of California)

JonJ said:
derek said:

Leominster = Lemon-stah
Peabody = P-buddy
Woburn = Wooo-burn
Medford = Med-furd
Harvard = Hah-vard
Dedham = Ded'em
Gardner = Gawd-nah
I thought Medford was Medfa?
I love showing out of staters a map, point out Worcester and ask them to pronounce it. Usually comes out Woor-Chester.
OK on your town WindWalker. Never been to Lemonster but I went to Lunenburg once.

It's Medfa if you're a local from Medfa. But you are correct.

Worcester, I've also heard it pronounced Woo-stah and a former neighbor from I believe Ohio always pronounced it Worchester.

Windwalker said:
Just registered. Looks like a good place to be. My past includes 4 yrs. in the regular Army '67-'71 with 2 yrs. in a warm place that was not good for your health.

That's a pretty good one. My buddy prefers to call it the "Land of All Bad Things". He did 3 1/2 tours with the JSOG in RVN (and surrounding countries wink wink) in a SF outfit (Air Commando). He doesn't often talk about it save for sometimes late nights after a long day's hunt, but man talk about campfire stories...

Welcome aboard WW.

Leighton

We don't always drop the "R" 's ,sometimes we just move them to different words. Garage becomes garaRge . Circular saw is Sar.

.... Stepped on the dog's pawr, it's against the larr.

Welcome, Windwalker.

Y'all forgot Billerica, pronounced "B'rica". My personal favorite is Waltham, pronounced Walth-am (as in, WALTHer and I AM), but every watch collector in the country outside of eastern MA pronounces it Walth-um.

Ross

Hey how about the way Gloucester is pronounced in the movie The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming? Glock Keshter. Talk about a funny movie!!!
Jon

Back
Top Bottom