Report: SigSauer Defensive Pistol Class

I just attended this past weekend the Defensive Pistol class at SigSauer Academy up in Epping NH. I gather it’s a fairly advanced level class, taking the best bits from Sig’s 103, concealed carry and CQB classes and rolling into a 2 day intensive shooting class. I shot around ~800 rounds though my P229/9mm. Be warned, you will be exhausted, exhilarated and your hands will be all beat up after the class. I lost the skin on my thump from decocking after about 4 hours. Use the bandaids provided!

As always, Sig lets you use their handguns free of charge if you want. People were shooting P226, 229 and 239’s, and a lone Glock. There were 6 people in the class, all at about the same level, so the instructor attention was good and the class moved right along. Half the class used Sig provided pancake or kydex holsters, I used my Crossbreed IWB which worked great, although drawing and reholstering 10 gazillion times in 2 days beats up the hands even more.

Note this was classified as an advanced class, and there were some drills which would get you yelled at a beginner or intermediate class, and DQ’s at an IDPA match[rolleyes] I previously completed the concealed carry class back in August, so this was the perfect step up and refresher.

As with most Sig classes, we started with 5-10 mins of wall drill dry firing and single hole drills at 3, 5 and 7 yds. The class was mostly in the <7yd range the whole time except for some barricade work out to 15 & 20yds. Only a couple times did we unload and run a drill using dryfiring first for safety, most of the 2 days was spent “hot”. You were expected to have a loaded and ready gun at all times. If you got caught with an empty gun at the start of a drill you owed Rance the instructor a beer[smile]

Highlights included strong and weak side only shooting, reloading and malfunction clearing. Learning how to clear a double feed jam using your knee, and then racking a loaded gun on your belt buckle made you very aware of your muzzle control [shocked]

Muzzle and trigger discipline went to a whole new level for me. We were staging the trigger pretty much right after the draw from the holster and drive, so the shot went off almost as soon as the sights were on target. The instructor encouraged the use of the high sternum ready position (gun pointing nearly vertically down resting on back of left hand), permitting full 360 movement during our “searches”. That would be instant IDPA DQ. Not sure I’ll practice that at North Leominster either …

Lots of moving – from simply being a moving target during reloads and malfunction clearances, to shooting on the move back and forth, at angles, retreating to cover etc. Included moving targets (left to right and straight down your throat featured)

Ended the weekend with some CQB drills and IDPA like stages including low light.

Best Sig class I have taken by far, quality of instruction was excellent as usual (I’ve not had a bad instructor at Sig), and the class sized allowed us to accelerate the basic concepts and get into really shooting & learning. YMMV, but I like the Sig style. I would say it’s a little LEO focused (who of us would ever take a prone shot from behind a car at 20yds), but, to quote them, it’s about learning skills to win in a fight not just survive and a lot of the skills cross over from LEO I suppose.

Hope the review helps, a Sig class is a great Christmas list item [grin]

when is the class you told me about where they start throwing vehicles into the mix. i really want to go do that one. i'm going to have to go on a road trip with you soon and be the lone beretta dude there. [rofl]

Nice review. You got lucky to be in a class with people of the same skill that was the same as the class pre-requisuite. Unfortunately when I took the defensive rifle class - advertised as intermediate - there were over 50% beginners.

Sorry for the thread hijack...how does Sig break up "entry" vs "intermediate"? Some of their classes seem interesting, but I've never done any of the "tactical" type classes before. I didn't see many (or any) of those sort of classes marked entry. Thanks!

Sig label their classes Entry, Intermediate and advanced. IMHO, I would say that if you have an good safety skills and moderate gun handling skills, you can get a lot out of anything labeled intermediate and won't be in danger of being the odd one out.

I would say in all classes except advanced ones, the expectation is that you have zero "tactical" skills, whatever that means. For example the intermediate concealed carry class expects you to be able to keep your finger off the trigger, not sweep anyone with your muzzle, reload and clear jams, but that's about it.

Sig label their classes Entry, Intermediate and advanced. IMHO, I would say that if you have an good safety skills and moderate gun handling skills, you can get a lot out of anything labeled intermediate and won't be in danger of being the odd one out.

I would say in all classes except advanced ones, the expectation is that you have zero "tactical" skills, whatever that means. For example the intermediate concealed carry class expects you to be able to keep your finger off the trigger, not sweep anyone with your muzzle, reload and clear jams, but that's about it.

Good to know, thanks. A lot of the entry level classes have one or two skills that look handy, but the rest seem to be just how to shoot. I can do that, just want to do it better and with style [smile]

I'm signed up for the CCW - Intermediate and an the confirmation they listed the following regarding the levels:

"Please note that this is an intermediate level course. Explanation follows:
Our courses are geared towards varying skill levels. Within the course description, please refer to the prerequisite field to determine your current skill level. Without following these guidelines, students will find it difficult to keep pace with the instruction and practical exercises, or, successfully complete the proficiency assessments. Skill levels are defined as:

Entry - Little or no formal training in the subject matter or weapon system used in the course.

Intermediate - Have foundational knowledge and demonstrable basic practical skills in the subject matter or weapon system used in the course. The prospective student should know and be able to demonstrate the skills taught in Basic Practical Handgun Skills (Handgun 102) on demand. See course description for clarification.

Advanced - SSA Concealed Carry (Intermediate) course graduate or have the knowledge and skill set taught in that course, demonstrable on demand. Refer to course description for details."

I'm looking forward to this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom