• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Report: Nearly 400 Million Civilian-Owned Guns in America

I would wager the real number is a whole lot higher and will never be known. How many handed down guns are in the back of closets or safes that nobody acknowledges having?

Yup, Over at a friend's house warming a bit back and getting a tour of the new place and, bam, closet with a stack of rifles and shotguns. His from when he was a kid, dad's, grandpa's. Had forgotten he even had them until they bought the new place and moved.

At least they're using a more realistic number now because the MSM has been saying 300 million for at least the last 15 years.

Yup.... It is sort of like the "10 million" illegals they have been saying are no big deal since at least the year 2000. Thousands enter on a daily basis so I want to know why the count never increases.

At least they're using a more realistic number now because the MSM has been saying 300 million for at least the last 15 years.
Oh, much longer than that! It's been 300 Million for as long as I can remember! [bs][laugh]

Come on guys and gals, let’s push hard and make the number 500 million.
I'm doing my part! [cheers]

Even at the assumed NES average of a 20 guns per person (minimum), that's still 20 million gun owners. This pleases me

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought NES Members owned 400,000,000 Guns. That can't be correct, that's 8,744 per member. I'm not quite there yet, maybe 1/76th of the way there including my wife & kids.
If you figure 20 as the average NES Member; 45747 x 20 = 914,940. If we all buy 2 more guns this year that'll put us at 1,000,000.
I'm not too familiar with The Washington Free Beacon, I guess it's a spin off of The Weekly Standard. The article refers to Military and Police. I was more concerned that they didn't mention the Alphabet Agency's. I read the Source Citation, http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/file...s/SAS-BP-Law-Enforcement-Firearms-Numbers.pdf , Table 6 mentions FBI, DEA & Fish & Wildlife. I'd like to think the others are included [hmmm]

If you figure 20 as the average NES Member; 45747 x 20 = 914,940. If we all buy 2 more guns this year that'll put us at 1,000,000.

you-gotta-pump-those-numbers-up-those-are-rookie-numbers.jpg

Time well spent on a research. At the end of the day what matters is this, though:
CHART: How Have Your Members Of Congress Voted On Gun Bills?

Maybe you still believe that we have 2 parties over here. Well, what Our President clearly demonstrated to us is the fact that is not the case anymore. Crying Baker & Maura combo is not unique to MASS only.

Even at the assumed NES average of a 20 guns per person (minimum), that's still 20 million gun owners. This pleases me

20? [rofl]

It's funny just how easy you can get to 20 guns.
5 handguns for pins, (rimfire, medium bore, big bore - revolver and semi classes)
half a dozen Glocks for carry, IDPA, USPSA and 3Gun
A couple of both bolt action and semi rimfire rifles
shotguns for skeet and 3gun and and everybody needs a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 1187.
ARs - a couple general purpose red-dotted, one setup for 3gun, one 1-6 scoped, one for longrange, a dedicated .22, a 9mm and SWMBO's ambi build;
plus three that are registered in CT
.308(s) for longer distance shooting and .44 mag just because
a bunch of .380's and 9mm's that also belong to SWMBO
a couple of 1911's just to piss off the Glocks

20? [rofl] Yeah, in one safe.

It'd be interesting to see how the numbers break down regarding what the odds are of being killed in various ways vs being killed by gunfire. Lightning strikes, choking on food, medical errors, traffic accidents, drowning, blunt trauma, etc.
Well, with at least 400 million guns in the US, there are 265 million cars in the US. More people die in cars each year than from firearms.

20? [rofl]

It's funny just how easy you can get to 20 guns.
5 handguns for pins, (rimfire, medium bore, big bore - revolver and semi classes)
half a dozen Glocks for carry, IDPA, USPSA and 3Gun
A couple of both bolt action and semi rimfire rifles
shotguns for skeet and 3gun and and everybody needs a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 1187.
ARs - a couple general purpose red-dotted, one setup for 3gun, one 1-6 scoped, one for longrange, a dedicated .22, a 9mm and SWMBO's ambi build;
plus three that are registered in CT
.308(s) for longer distance shooting and .44 mag just because
a bunch of .380's and 9mm's that also belong to SWMBO
a couple of 1911's just to piss off the Glocks

20? [rofl] Yeah, in one safe.

You just made a point they want you to make. We do not need guns anymore! We have enough! You are actually a walking talking danger to our perfect society because you are "hording guns". What would happen if some sheltered illegals would visit by accident your house? They may find enough guns to start a small rebellion in the $hthole jungle somewhere. What you need is one gun for your sport activities. You actually need one BB so you can waste your free time on sport. Leave everything else up to elected officials and the wonderful system we have in place. Your elected government will ship guns to some illegal movement in the $hthole jungle so you do not have to worry about home invasion.

I recommend to enjoy your right to be silent! [wave]

It'd be interesting to see how the numbers break down regarding what the odds are of being killed in various ways vs being killed by gunfire. Lightning strikes, choking on food, medical errors, traffic accidents, drowning, blunt trauma, etc.
All deaths by guns excluding Chicago since 1975 are a statistical error bar vs a single year of cancer heart and medical errors for a single year .

Oh, much longer than that! It's been 300 Million for as long as I can remember! [bs][laugh]

I'm doing my part! [cheers]

Heck, I remember around the time the full-background provisions of the Brady law went into full effect (around 1998-1999) it was being reported that there were estimates of only about 60 million guns in the U.S., 30 million of which were estimated to be handguns. If the present number IS around 400 million, that would constitute a 560% increase in the total number of citizen-owned guns in the good old U.S.A. in just 20 years!!!

I like it.

I think that's because the baby boomers, well, had more babies than the following generations, coupled with the fact that people do eventually die, so the population growth in america has been fairly stagnant recently, as these things go. Went from a 2% annual increase in the 60's and 70's to a modern .7%. We are adding less than 3 million people a year this decade, so the estimates of 325-330 million people up from about 282 million in 2000, that sounds about right.

Just did some quick math:

Chances that a gun will hurt or kill someone, 0.025%

Chances that a gun will kill someone (portion of above), 0.009%

Actually, a more accurate percentage is 0.00%, as guns don’t kill people. Don’t accept the premise or terminology of your enemies. After all, who goes around talking about the percentage chances that a baseball bat or tire iron will hurt or kill someone??? Bueller???

Back
Top Bottom