• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Report: Nearly 400 Million Civilian-Owned Guns in America

I read the article a couple of days ago and commented to my wife that this was probably not a surprise to people who live, or like me grew up, in parts of the country where firearms have not become taboo.

But for the casual reader in places like MA, NY, NJ, MD, etc. the scale of this must be a shock. I am talking about the everyday folks who give little thought to the topic beyond the narrative that they have been feed that firearms are uncommon, unnatural, unnecessary, so all that is needed to end crime is pass more gun control laws -- they will magically disappear.

:emoji_tiger:

Good. now let's make it 600 million, over more people. -Mike

Liberal counter solution -- an open boarder immigration policy importing more potential voters who have no frame of reference for firearms ownership or a militia tradition and are in fact immediately depended on a "progressive" government.

Just say'n

How many guns do the ghosts have?

iu

1... confirmed.

Just did some quick math:

Chances that a gun will hurt or kill someone, 0.025%

Chances that a gun will kill someone (portion of above), 0.009%

I would wager the real number is a whole lot higher and will never be known. How many handed down guns are in the back of closets or safes that nobody acknowledges having?

Just did some quick math:

Chances that a gun will hurt or kill someone, 0.025%

Chances that a gun will kill someone (portion of above), 0.009%
You are saying there is a chance?

Ban them all. If it only saves ONE life, it will all be worth it .

I read the article a couple of days ago and commented to my wife that this was probably not a surprise to people who live, or like me grew up, in parts of the country where firearms have not become taboo.

But for the casual reader in places like MA, NY, NJ, MD, etc. the scale of this must be a shock. I am talking about the everyday folks who give little thought to the topic beyond the narrative that they have been feed that firearms are uncommon, unnatural, unnecessary, so all that is needed to end crime is pass more gun control laws -- they will magically disappear.

Yes. The bolded line is HUGELY significant. When my students bring up gun control in class (often, this year), that always stops them. They truly do think that a law will instantaneously get rid of all the gunzzz.

After looking at the mental gymnastics that the left has to go through, I'm really starting to think the plan is to take away the law abiding citizens guns (or make them criminals as mjbitt said) then lock them up. The real criminals (gang members, drug dealers) will be left to run free and the sheeple will scream "Save us Government" and before you know it - martial law/police state and no more freedom.

There are plenty of Dems that are pro 2A. We tend to forget that because we live in the North East.

This is true, there are some, but unfortunately it seems now that the whole class must be punished for the cluster of bad apples, and with Dems there are many. The Dems need to suffer for their leaders poor judgement and "pokin the bear". The mob mentality seems to work for all things leftist doesn't it? No matter how ridiculous.

You are saying there is a chance?

Ban them all. If it only saves ONE life, it will all be worth it .
It'd be interesting to see how the numbers break down regarding what the odds are of being killed in various ways vs being killed by gunfire. Lightning strikes, choking on food, medical errors, traffic accidents, drowning, blunt trauma, etc.

It'd be interesting to see how the numbers break down regarding what the odds are of being killed in various ways vs being killed by gunfire. Lightning strikes, choking on food, medical errors, traffic accidents, drowning, blunt trauma, etc.
It depends on a lot of things. Are you walking through the shitty side of Chicago alone? Or, are you hanging out at Duxbury beach?

I would say the odds of getting randomly killed (meaning you are not doing something to get shot) by a gun owned LEGALLY, are pretty much 0.

Most cops never shoot someone, so even if you are doing something illegal you probably wont get shot.

Back
Top Bottom