• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Report from North Carolina

RockIt

Banned
Posted a few months ago that we were in the process of moving to a small town just outside of Wilmington, NC. Arrived here about three weeks ago. Last weekend as I was doing a few things in the garage my neighbor across the street pulled up with his family from some outing they had been on. Out came three military ammo cans and several rifles in cases. He laid the rifles on the big cooler and proceeded to unload other junk. Meanwhile, the neighbor kids came down the street to round up his kids to play. At this point, I went into FULL ALARM mode! OMG! KIDS! GUNS! 911 !!!! SHELTER IN PLACE!!!! Then I realized I was not in MA anymore. The kids went off to play, and eventually he put the guns and ammo somewhere.

Couple days later I was talking to my next door neighbor (he is sorta like a middle class Larry the Cable Guy). He told me that he had left home and about a half hour later ADT called to say his door was open and would he like them to call the police? The police were called. He got back to his house before the cops. When they arrived he told them to be aware he had a loaded shotgun leaned up inside his bedroom door and if it was missing to be very careful. Now we all know exactly where that would have ended in MA don't we?

About 42% of the people in this state own guns. They are common items as they should be. I have not seen anyone walking around open carrying even though it is a bit rural around here.

Ahhhh, it is nice to be back in America again, I missed it a lot the last five years in MA.

If I want to buy a pistol I need to either go pay the county sheriff a $5 fee for a purchase permit, or get a ccw license for $25. The laws here are not "perfect" but not bad either.

I moved all my guns out of MA even though we will be doing a bit of commuting for a while. With the nutty laws there, someone breaking into the house and stealing any of them becomes an incredible nightmare, no thanks. If someone breaks in around here, it is nothing more than a theft. Imagine that!

On another note, BEACHES. They have real ones here. With warm water a person can actually swim in. Big beaches without a bunch of uppity beach front home owners who think they own the Atlantic. Fishing piers that go way out in the water. Palm trees. And yes, it gets hot around here, really hot. But that is ok, my old bones like heat.

I'll probably be joining you once the kids get out of high school. My brother is already there.

Yeah, not perfect, but much better. In any case we need more liberty-minded carpet baggers in North Carolina to off set the progressive carpet baggers already occupying the place.

Posted a few months ago that we were in the process of moving to a small town just outside of Wilmington, NC. Arrived here about three weeks ago
Congrats and I am jealous. We have land on the other side of NC, in the mountains, and will be heading there when I can find a job that will pay. Enjoy Freedom!

Lived in NC before moving to MA.
nice state. Not perfect.
public schools suck which is unacceptable given revenues/taxes.
some areas have no infrastructure, others get tons of state $$....no worse than MA in that regard.

We have friends who just bought property in Banner Elk (northwest NC). We'll be looking for waterfront property somewhere down there, soon. We'll be looking in the Unifour area (Morganton, Lenoir, Hickory).

What's the best BBQ in Charlotte? (Open Carry or not)

I'm in North Carolina a few times a year (doing my small part to improve the IT job situation down there). I like that they honor the NH carry license.

My brother relocated to the Raleigh Durham area at the beginning of the year. In order to get his pistol permit he had to sign a release allowing full access to his medical AND mental health records.

Bob

My brother relocated to the Raleigh Durham area at the beginning of the year. In order to get his pistol permit he had to sign a release allowing full access to his medical AND mental health records.

Bob

I am not 100% sure, but I think Durham "grandfathered" in some of the draconian old laws. Here is an item from Wikipedia: "*Durham County formerly required registration of handguns. This was repealed on June 18, 2014." I have seen some other stuff about Durham. Where I am, no such rules.

I am not 100% sure, but I think Durham "grandfathered" in some of the draconian old laws. Here is an item from Wikipedia: "*Durham County formerly required registration of handguns. This was repealed on June 18, 2014." I have seen some other stuff about Durham. Where I am, no such rules.

Interesting, I didn't know that it was a regional thing. Thanks for letting me know.

Bob

When I was looking to relocate I visited NC and made the rounds to several areas including Raleigh and the Triangle.
Like everywhere else there were better parts than others. You could go from a real nice neighborhood to the ghetto with 10 Waffle Houses in a matter of two blocks. But certainly some nice areas (Asheville, downtown Raleigh, downtown Charlotte)
Houses are certainly more affordable though. As another poster said, jobs are a little scarce, albeit I'm not really sure what industries dominate those areas. I actually received a call from a company in Greenville after I moved back here. Never followed up because a) Greenville is in the middle of nowhere and I've made that mistake before and b) didn't know much about it other than it was in the middle of nowhere.

I drove to Charlotte during a heat wave, 100 plus. You didn't see anyone on the street only cars with ac on, houses and businesses with shades down. I broke a full sweat walking into a restaurant, too fuxing hot.

Last edited:
I was there last week. Had dinner at the Pilot House on the River Walk.
I go every summer. My brother lives in Wilmington. My mother lives on Wrightsville Beach.
I posted the "No Guns" picture here that I took at King Neptune's.
Great pawn shops.

Went to NC last year for vacation. Really like to live there just have to convince my wife.....

I drove to Charlotte during a heat wave, 100 plus. You didn't see anyone on the street only cars with ac on, houses and businesses with shades down. I broke a full sweat walking into a restaurant, too fuxing hot.

I try to contemplate sometimes which one sucks worse. I've lived in New England most of my life and know that extreme cold sucks. Also lived in Arizona and know that extreme heat sucks. But, which one sucks more? The argument for cold being better is "you can always add more layers". Meh, both suck.

I try to contemplate sometimes which one sucks worse. I've lived in New England most of my life and know that extreme cold sucks. Also lived in Arizona and know that extreme heat sucks. But, which one sucks more? The argument for cold being better is "you can always add more layers". Meh, both suck.

The heat sucks. But you dont have to plow it off your driveway or shovel it or rake it off your roof. Its also easy to drive in. Especially in an air conditioned car.

You can keep your house hot and not much will happen to me i can just cool the room i sleep in and im good.

Keep your house to cold or lose power and your fxcked and freeze pipes.

To me summer is easy livin. Winter and snowstorms are just a fxcking PIA. y

Yeah, they get hurricanes, probably as many in Charlotte as we get here... but we get hurricanes and Noreasters.....

My daughter is thinking of going to school down there just south of Charlotte. Personally, I thought it was a nice area, the week I was there in the spring was the best weather I'd seen since October up here. The people are way more friendly, the gun shop owners aren't dicks, seemed to be plenty of stuff going on in the area and lots to do outside. The political climate is night and day. There are libtards in Charlotte....but that's about it, it's still a decent city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Heat. A few years ago I was in Canada north of Ignace. It was August, the temp went just over 100 degrees every single day while we were fishing, no breeze, lakes like a mirror. It can get hot anywhere. Lived outside chicago in the late 90's, built a storage shed during a week when it was over 100 every day, and humid. Yup, it is hot here. However, dealing with heat is a matter of pacing yourself. New Englanders love to do things as fast as they can, that does not work in these climates. What is nice is that the average high in mid January is in the mid to high 50's, the low is about 36. Think of it, a person can actually go out in Jan to shoot comfortably. In July, people do things earlier in the day. My lovely wife told me that she might miss the snow, the big flakes and the fireplace. I said "Yup, I am going to miss snow too, especially when a gust of wind would plaster my face with the stuff while snow throwing." Yea, I am gonna miss the heck out of it, yessir.

My wife and I will move down there in a few years. We lived in the South early on and the heat is better than the COLD in our opinion.

I'll probably be joining you .... [snip] In any case we need more liberty-minded carpet baggers in North Carolina to off set the progressive carpet baggers already occupying the place.

I'm willing to do my part - I just took a job in RTP area and looking at property as we speak.

I'm willing to do my part - I just took a job in RTP area and looking at property as we speak.
Funny, I did a phone screen for a job in RTP today. Wife and I looked online at some listings for places that were just outside of Raleigh - you get a lot more house and land for your money. So ready to move back to NC...

What's the ammo situation like in Charlotte?

The burning question of the day is, is there any .22LR rimfire ammo to be had in NC?

I went to college in NC, i remember being surprised that the Wild Bills Pizza delivery guy had a revolver strapped to his hip. Wouldn't mind moving back there, take our tax revenues with us.

Out came three military ammo cans and several rifles in cases. He laid the rifles on the big cooler and proceeded to unload other junk. Meanwhile, the neighbor kids came down the street to round up his kids to play.

On another note, BEACHES. They have real ones here. With warm water a person can actually swim in. Big beaches without a bunch of uppity beach front home owners who think they own the Atlantic. Fishing piers that go way out in the water. Palm trees. And yes, it gets hot around here, really hot. But that is ok, my old bones like heat.

1st, im surprised he did not yell at his kids to clean and put their guns away before they played.

"Warm water"? In the ocean? how is that possible?

I bet you have discovered "real" BBQ, not the poser type you find up in NE![rofl]

Back
Top Bottom