• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Report: Capitol cop who shot Babbitt is in hiding - 'The story of who he is and why he opened fire remains shrouded in mystery'

I'm not apologizing for anything. I'm asking real simply, on a forum where people hate duty to retreat, why are we pretending like it should be a requirement here? Is it because we sympathize with the person who's been shot and wish to warp the standards to justify our mentality?
Screw duty to retreat
ANYONE with the possible exception of a wheelchair bound geriatric , except this guy apparently , shoots an unarmed 110 pound woman anywhere and uses "Fear of life " as a reason is going to spend the rest of their days in pound me in the ass prison.
Police, military, civilian whatever , doesn't matter.
That wasn't self defense , that was an execution . She was hanging halfway through an opening and completely defenseless.
No sale.

We all love stand your ground until someone we like is killed under it.

There might have been better ways to deal with the situation, like cuffing this chick as soon as she got her hands out to crawl through that window, but saying there was a duty to continue retreating is a bit absurd.

Girl played stupid games, she won a stupid prize. No jury in the world is going to convict that guy.
BS

I'm not apologizing for anything. I'm asking real simply, on a forum where people hate duty to retreat, why are we pretending like it should be a requirement here? Is it because we sympathize with the person who's been shot and wish to warp the standards to justify our mentality?
When someone can articulate the immediate and deadly threat that Ms. Babbitt posed to her murderer, then we can discuss "duty to retreat".

YAOYT

Ok, so you're pro duty to retreat, I find that odd around here but different strokes.

A better comparison is going to be a store owner killing someone in the BLM riots. Rittenhouse does nothing but retreat and get overrun. The police in this video were not only doing their duty in protecting the people left in the chamber, the entirety of the building was their retreat zone. But lets not forget, this act (no matter what side you are on) was an act of rebellion, and the rules are different.

you could argue that the activities of blm/antifa are also a form of rebellion. Semantics.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

All I know is the irony in this thread is unreal.

The same people who were saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" when bad things happened to the rioters last summer are now the ones crying about police brutality, de-escalation and trying to out the cop who shot someone on their side of the political spectrum doing something equally stupid.

Like you said, it's funny how people warp the standards to try and justify their own mentality.

In the thousands of BLM and Antifa riots I don’t recall a single example of a cop shooting one of them. I do recall those groups committing a hell of a lot more violence then happened here.

Screw duty to retreat
ANYONE with the possible exception of a wheelchair bound geriatric , except this guy apparently , shoots an unarmed 110 pound woman anywhere and uses "Fear of life " as a reason is going to spend the rest of their days in pound me in the ass prison.
Police, military, civilian whatever , doesn't matter.
That wasn't self defense , that was an execution . She was hanging halfway through an opening and completely defenseless.
No sale.

This guy didn't shoot 110lb woman, he shot at a member of a mob bent on doing harm. You join the mob mentality, expect to be treated like the mob mentality. Was the officer in fear for his life from her specifically? No. Had the mob already turned violent? Yes.

When someone can articulate the immediate and deadly threat that Ms. Babbitt posed to her murderer, then we can discuss "duty to retreat".

YAOYT
I already did, I've posted the timeline that includes fights with police, forced entry, and the use of tear gas. Getting shot is the prize this chick won for playing stupid games in a secure federal building.

But let's face it, none of you here believe that if someone bent on doing you harm breaks in to your home or place of business you have to back into a corner before you can do anything about it, and half of you would have done the same if it were a liberal in the same scenario.

Should the capitol police have had riot training? Absolutely. Are you all a bunch of hypocrites because you see one of yours getting gunned down? Yes, yes you are.

This guy didn't shoot 110lb woman, he shot at a member of a mob bent on doing harm. You join the mob mentality, expect to be treated like the mob mentality. Was the officer in fear for his life from her specifically? No. Had the mob already turned violent? Yes.

I already did, I've posted the timeline that includes fights with police, forced entry, and the use of tear gas. Getting shot is the prize this chick won for playing stupid games in a secure federal building.

But let's face it, none of you here believe that if someone bent on doing you harm breaks in to your home or place of business you have to back into a corner before you can do anything about it, and half of you would have done the same if it were a liberal in the same scenario.

Should the capitol police have had riot training? Absolutely. Are you all a bunch of hypocrites because you see one of yours getting gunned down? Yes, yes you are.
So you consider yourself a whole separate class than the folks on this site ?
Interesting , please go on.

The problem is your version of events is contradicted by lots of video. But if we selectively chose bits and pieces of things we can create a scenario to justify just about anything.

I’m watching propaganda on ABC right now. You should tune in. You’ll eat it up for sure!

We all love stand your ground until someone we like is killed under it.

There might have been better ways to deal with the situation, like cuffing this chick as soon as she got her hands out to crawl through that window, but saying there was a duty to continue retreating is a bit absurd.

Girl played stupid games, she won a stupid prize. No jury in the world is going to convict that guy.

I wasn't aware that the penalty for trespassing while not armed is execution.

Maybe revolt is a better term. It doesn't matter if you're revolting on the side of good or the side of evil, you're the one trying to effect the change of those in power, that position comes with consequences.
Pretty ineffective 'revolt' for the side that clutches guns and bibles.

How many guns were in that crowd?

It sure enough is at my house. Anyone that forces their way into my house armed or not, will wish they had been.
This wasn't that guy's house. If he was a trained security person, he should be held to a higher standard than a civilian in their home.

The most troublesome part of the video for me is that he is hiding to the side. It's an ambush IMO. The guy was a coward. Even if someone is breaking into my home (not a good comparison to a public building), I'm still not hiding and shooting them...I would be giving then fair warning that they better retreat or be prepared to pay the consequences.

Hopefully that coward rots from the inside out for his poor judgement. He is in the same class of scumbag as that New York cop that choked the huge black guy to death for selling loosies, IMO.

Other than police? Probably close to zero.
That's pretty much my point. I'd suppose no guns were brought in by the protestors. That one guy who had the truck full of stuff was a ways away from the actual protest from what I can figure out.

The guy who shot actually put the guys on the other side of the door into some serious jeopardy. If the crowd turned on those guys, they'd be dead.

This wasn't that guy's house. If he was a trained security person, he should be held to a higher standard than a civilian in their home.

The most troublesome part of the video for me is that he is hiding to the side. It's an ambush IMO. The guy was a coward. Even if someone is breaking into my home (not a good comparison to a public building), I'm still not hiding and shooting them...I would be giving then fair warning that they better retreat or be prepared to pay the consequences.

Hopefully that coward rots from the inside out for his poor judgement. He is in the same class of scumbag as that New York cop that choked the huge black guy to death for selling loosies, IMO.

Don't disagree with you. Just pointing out that breaking into MY house IS a death sentence. I suspect most here feel this way.

Last edited:
Duty to retreat in your home? GFY. You invade my HOME, I have a barrage of .45ACP breath mints coming your way. Duty to retreat in a workplace? Different animal. Hell, it isn't my stuff you're stealing. Don't threaten me and you can help yourself. Let the cops and insurance company sort that out.

I fail to see how the "duty to retreat" is any more than a straw man argument here. The guy is a (supposedly) trained law enforcement officer. There is a continuum of force that is escalated by the threat that is posed. This dickwad made a Kenyan leap over that continuum, going straight to SHOOT HER OMFG IM TERRIFIED FOR MUH SAFETY instead of telling her to yield and desist. I watched and listened to the videos. I heard NO verbal commands or orders. He remained out of her field of view and as one astute poster said earlier, f***in' AMBUSHED her. He didn't give a rat's fat ass about anyone in the background, about any visible weapons, about any articulable threats to his life or safety, he just popped her in the face. He panicked, and a girl died because of his panic. He is 1000 percent culpable for her death and the most pathetic and reprehensible thing about this TRAVESTY is that there is no outrage being screamed from the rooftops over the murder of this woman. He drew, aimed and fired. This is malice aforethought. This is first degree murder.

Last edited:
Don't disagree with you. Just pointing out that breaking into MY house IS a death sentence. I suspect most here feel this way.
Yeah, my point was even in my house given the location scenario in the Capitol (i.e. intruder totally unaware of gun being pointed at them) I will be letting them know they are about to get ventilated, not hiding and using a potshot take them out. This also helps you avoid shooting someone you know in some crazy mix-up. It's not like this guy woke up to Babbitt standing over his bed with a knife in her hand.

Buddy how about some equal treatment by the media or system. If she was black and the shooter was white the cop's name, address and family members would be all over every news station and news paper. The looting and calls for "justice" would begin. Literally right now Rittenhouse is about to be tried for murder for 1. Putting out a dumpster fire and 2. Shooting people who were attacking him AND armed. The level of hypocrisy in the media is disgusting.

I used to think the motto of the media was "print the news for clicks and views." But the more see the more I realize that we may be in the middle of a communist coup of America.
If she was a black conservative Republican it wouldn’t. You only matter to them if you’re a black liberal.

The part that left a bad taste in my mouth on this one is she gets shot while there is a group of security right there next to her. If she was such a threat the guard on the stairs 3ft from her should have wrapped her up.

The video leading up to the confrontation shows an agitator reaching over armed security and punching the glass. He is literally punching over their shoulders to break the glass with no recourse. They simply move out of the way and I believe that's how security ended up just steps behind her. At least two tiers of security, if not three, let her(the group) get to that point, the fourth tier went full retard.

I get the people who say stupid games... but, she won the giant teddy bear and didn't knock over all the pins.

Don't do stupid things, with stupid people in stupid places.

Ashli was the unfortunate victim of violating that truism. Did the officer reasonably fear for his life or the lives of the people he was supposed to protect?

Of course he did. Weapons aren't necessary when you are outnumbered 100 to 1.

I am generally sympathetic to the causes supported by the rioters. But I can't justify in any way their actions. They all chose to put themselves at risk.

When they got into the Capitol, if one had gone to the House chamber for and said "I am here to air grievances in accordance with my Constitutionally guaranteed right" and then read off a list of grievances, the assault on the Capitol could almost be justified.

Instead the rioters revealed their. true nature. A petulant mob. They defaced property. They looted. They behaved no better than the looters in the "mostly peaceful protests" this summer. Their behavior was an embarrassment for anyone who shares their political beliefs. It was sad.

Back
Top Bottom