Report: Capitol cop who shot Babbitt is in hiding - 'The story of who he is and why he opened fire remains shrouded in mystery'

Did the officer reasonably fear for his life or the lives of the people he was supposed to protect?

Of course he did. Weapons aren't necessary when you are outnumbered 100 to 1.
So how does this not lay a foundation for police opening fire on a crowd who, say, knocks over one of those bicycle-rack barricades at some protest
err riot in the future? They're outnumbered after all. A barricade got knocked over, clearly a malicious and aggressive action. Or does a window need to be broken before the sentence is carried out? What exactly is the threshold that justifies putting a bullet into an unarmed woman?

There was a million people there .
If they went there with ill intent there wouldn't be two bricks left together .
There wouldn't have been a damn thing that could have stopped them short of dropping a MOAB on the capital.

Don't do stupid things, with stupid people in stupid places.

Ashli was the unfortunate victim of violating that truism. Did the officer reasonably fear for his life or the lives of the people he was supposed to protect?

Of course he did. Weapons aren't necessary when you are outnumbered 100 to 1.

I am generally sympathetic to the causes supported by the rioters. But I can't justify in any way their actions. They all chose to put themselves at risk.

When they got into the Capitol, if one had gone to the House chamber for and said "I am here to air grievances in accordance with my Constitutionally guaranteed right" and then read off a list of grievances, the assault on the Capitol could almost be justified.

Instead the rioters revealed their. true nature. A petulant mob. They defaced property. They looted. They behaved no better than the looters in the "mostly peaceful protests" this summer. Their behavior was an embarrassment for anyone who shares their political beliefs. It was sad.
You forgot to mention walking inside the ropes and picking up trash after themselves.

I'm not apologizing for anything. I'm asking real simply, on a forum where people hate duty to retreat, why are we pretending like it should be a requirement here? Is it because we sympathize with the person who's been shot and wish to warp the standards to justify our mentality?
Cut the shit with the duty to retreat...The man who shot her committed murder and should be in jail. There was no need to shoot her, NONE.
Grab her and put her on the ground ! What was her treat to him, Did she have a weapon? The man is a f***ing coward.

So how does this not lay a foundation for police opening fire on a crowd who, say, knocks over one of those bicycle-rack barricades at some protest
err riot in the future? They're outnumbered after all. A barricade got knocked over, clearly a malicious and aggressive action. Or does a window need to be broken before the sentence is carried out? What exactly is the threshold that justifies putting a bullet into an unarmed woman?
First of all, in your situation, the police can retreat without putting people's lives at risk.

In this case, retreating would have meant allowing a mob that looked hell bent on violence to "capture" the very people the Capitol Police were tasked with protecting. Remember that this happened while the house (or senate??) chamber was still filled with "traitors".

Back
Top Bottom