• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Report: Cali. Lead ban to triple ammo prices

Reptile

NES Member
REPORT: CALI. LEAD BAN TO TRIPLE AMMO PRICES
Currently about 95% of all ammo sold in California contains lead

California’s upcoming ban on the use of traditional lead ammunition could triple the price of all ammunition in the state, forcing many gun owners to give up shooting, according to a report by a firearm trade association.

In its 15-page report, the National Shooting Sport Foundation, in association with an economic research firm, concluded the ban will increase ammo prices up to and possibly beyond 300% for centerfire cartridges, such as the popular .30-06 Springfield and .357 Magnum, shotgun shells and rimfire rounds, including the .22 Long Rifle which in the past was one of the the most affordable calibers to shoot.

“Based on a survey of California hunters, higher ammunition prices will drive 36% of California hunters to stop hunting or reduce their participation,” the report states. “Thirteen percent of California hunters report they would stop hunting [entirely] as a result of the higher prices.”

http://www.infowars.com/report-cali-lead-ban-to-triple-ammo-prices/
---
Successful was for the anti's to ban guns.

All the gangs and crazy people will still have their guns and still do just as much shooting and murder.

All the law abiding people will stop shooting and hunting and the state will lose millions in revenue from residents and non residents in hunting license fees and ammo taxes.

There will also be a lucrative black market for ammunition smuggling, just like every other commodity that has ever been banned.

This is the intent right here...

"The report also stated the lead ban would impact rimfire rounds the most, and because the .22 Long Rifle and .17 HMR calibers are popular with young shooters due to their light recoil, it’s quite possible the ban will prevent many youths in California from ever shooting a firearm. This is the hidden intent of California’s lead ammo ban; it is backdoor gun control designed to destroy the Second Amendment by making ammunition completely unaffordable and in short supply.

the goal of the CA legislature was specifically to accomplish a massive increase in ammo prices....there's no question about it. it's depressing to see so many people surprised by this....it was ca.gov's goal all along. probably MA will attempt it too.

- - - Updated - - -

Prepare for the ammo sales boom in AZ NV and OR?

whatever "boom" occurs in neighboring states will be a tiny fraction of overall ammo sales lost in CA....most gun owners are not ammo-crazy like us....the majority of them purchase what they can obtain locally and afford.....CA's goal here is to make that impossible for the average CA gun owner.

Though I was born there and basically grew up in small town Ventura County, California, I can't believe what a sh!thole the state has turned into. In my teens, we used to walk down the street w/ shotguns and AR180's to get to our favorite hunting or plinking spots. We'd stand in the driveway for a few hours talking, holding whatever we had been shooting- nobody gave us a second look, not even the county sheriff. Picture a blonde, teenage surfer with a gun. [laugh]

Firearms? Would air rifles/guns fall under the ban? Sucks to go that direction, but at least for young shooters it might be an option for cheap shooting. In my younger days a close friend and I used to do a lot of damage with Sheridan air rifles & 20 cal pellets. I can think of one sky high turkey vulture that died rather suddenly from lead poisoning. LOL, thought there was no chance of a hit but that damn thing looked like it had been it by a stinger missile instead of a cross-fire of two 20 cal pellets. Looked a lot like a WWI Fokker going down. Ran like hell after that one- didn't want some granola munching aging hippie to turn us in to the feds. Also a lot of yummy valley quail hit the BBQ courtesy of said Sheridan. Yeah, I know... statute of limitations ran out a long time ago & if that's not good enough just consider the above as fictional entertainment, ahem. I hate to think that today's Cali kids will miss out on such fun.

We need to be careful- many of the (evil) pols here watch Cali for trends. One of the lead issues there was 'save the condor'. Here it will be 'save the loons'. Unfortunately, similar to Mass the Cali moonbats in the big cities have the voting numbers.

I have a few good gun stories from the old days in California- looks like those days are long gone.

6 Californias, 2 Massachusetts?

This. If this goes through someone could open a NH State Liquor Store style Ammo shop right over the border on a major highway, and make a buck or two.

They're banning use, not sales, so you won't be able to buy lead ammo out of state and use it.

Last edited:
There will also be a lucrative black market for ammunition smuggling, just like every other commodity that has ever been banned.

Not really. As usual, infowars skips over anything important.... this ban is only about what is permissible for HUNTING. Not sale, possession, etc. Although depending on how it is worded its probably pretty shity- EG, no lead ammo on XYZ land, etc, blah blah blah...

-Mike

So we would end up with 12 crazy Cali senators instead of 2? Yuk.

No. More likely 4 crazy CA senators and 8 less crazy. If you look at how CA votes by county each election cycle, the crazies live in concentrated areas around LA and San Francisco. The rest of CA is fairly well adjusted.

I have never thought of lead as a cheep metal by weight, Steel is probably less expensive but a lot lighter,

What materials would they be using that would boost the price up so much

“Based on a survey of California hunters, higher ammunition prices will drive 36% of California hunters to stop hunting or reduce their participation,” the report states. “Thirteen percent of California hunters report they would stop hunting [entirely] as a result of the higher prices.”

When I lived there 9 years ago I spent a bunch of time hunting in "condor country" and it was all "non-lead". I just shot Barnes X bullets for hunting. While I didn't like them, they worked (for the most part) and the cost was about 15-30% higher than quality other ammo. Yes probably 100% up from Core-Lokts but still not bad enough to say "that's it, I quit hunting" The cost of some bullets was peanuts in the grand scheme of hunting.

I am not trying to minimize the impact to the shooting sports community as a whole but I can't see this making too many hunters stop hunting unless they were sitting on the fence anyway and this is as good a reason as any.

Not really. As usual, infowars skips over anything important.... this ban is only about what is permissible for HUNTING. Not sale, possession, etc. Although depending on how it is worded its probably pretty shity- EG, no lead ammo on XYZ land, etc, blah blah blah...

-Mike

this. infowars. i immediately skip any article when i see infowars.com.

I have never thought of lead as a cheep metal by weight, Steel is probably less expensive but a lot lighter,

What materials would they be using that would boost the price up so much

I would assume lead is good cause it's heavy and soft, easy to mold - steel you'd have to heat it up really high to mold it, and it would be too light?

No. More likely 4 crazy CA senators and 8 less crazy. If you look at how CA votes by county each election cycle, the crazies live in concentrated areas around LA and San Francisco. The rest of CA is fairly well adjusted.

probably 6 crazies, 2 less and 4 you sure you're not from Texas conservative types.

The Central valley and Norcal are very conservative...moonbats rule Socal and the Bay Area and Inland Empire is middle of the road.

Back
Top Bottom