• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reply in another forum

Thread was about someone buying their first 1911 and thoughts thereafter. Forum sponsor/moderator/supplier/whatever else they're called said the following, with my response. Was I wrong?

HIM>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanNV
You don't normally carry a 1911 with the safety on. That really slows you down when time is precious.

ME>>>
You don't carry with the safety on? Jesus, where did you learn that one? Condition 0 is the worst posible thing you can do with a 1911. It's made... designed... by JB himself to carry in Condition 1. 0 is just plain, well, assinine.

Am I wrong?

I personally would carry a 1911 with the safety on, but I would make damned sure that I trained myself to flick it off during the draw.

Of course, I can think of many other guns I would rather CCW than a full-sized 1911.

I personally would carry a 1911 with the safety on, but I would make damned sure that I trained myself to flick it off during the draw.

Of course, I can think of many other guns I would rather CCW than a full-sized 1911.

A Glock? [smile] Sorry, couldn't resist.

Did they say carry safety off, round chambered, hammer down? If so, that's pretty much a ND waiting to happen when putting it in that condition.
Safety off, no round chambered, hammer down? That's bit odd, but fairly safe (and people won't freak about a cocked pistol).

As for the "That really slows you down when time is precious. " bit, how long does it take to actually draw from a holster and get on target? Now, how long to flip the thumb safety down? Where is one's thumb as you are drawing? How long does it take to pull a DA trigger vs the time to click off the thumb safety?

My personal opinion is that the individual quoted by the OP is a bit full of it and I agree with the OP's character assessment.

correct me if I'm wrong but don't MOST 1911s have a built in firing pin block ala Colt series 80? I have 2 1911s a Para and a S&W and both have a variation of the series 80 firing pin block. And i understand that you should never assume that a safety device will always work but inquiring minds want to know.

Highlander:
Sixes and threes on the firing pin block. Anything that is called a "Series 70" does not have a firing pin block. Any 1911 on a Ma or Ca compliant list will likely have one (or a lighter firing pin), the primary purpose is to pass drop tests.

Highlander:
Sixes and threes on the firing pin block. Anything that is called a "Series 70" does not have a firing pin block. Any 1911 on a Ma or Ca compliant list will likely have one (or a lighter firing pin), the primary purpose is to pass drop tests.

I know that the about the pre 80 series of 1911s but the question didn't mention what model they original OP was carrying. Not trying to bust chops just wanting to get the right info for future reference.

John Browning designed the 1911 without the thumb safety as he thought the grip safety was more than sufficient, the thumb safety was added by the military when they adopted it. Oops, late as usual!

Last edited:
Condition 1. Arguments about whether or not the lever was originally intended or not seem irrelavent to me, as it was eventually put in by JMB, and has been accepted as that way for 100 years. Carrying by relying only on the grip safety, or by lowering the hammer (not a good idea) is asking for trouble imo. The grip safety is kind of light for that amount of trust.

Condition 1. Arguments about whether or not the lever was originally intended or not seem irrelavent to me, as it was eventually put in by JMB, and has been accepted as that way for 100 years. Carrying by relying only on the grip safety, or by lowering the hammer (not a good idea) is asking for trouble imo. The grip safety is kind of light for that amount of trust.

I am not advising that it should be carried without the safety engaged. I am just stating that it would most likely be safe to do so. You would have to engage the grip safety and the trigger (twice as safe as that glock?) .

FYI, the person I was referring to has now updated his opinion to Condition 1. Maybe he was as tired as I was last night.

For another sample of one, I carry mine cocked and locked. I practice drawing from the holster, disengaging the safety and engaing my target. Hopefully this will happen automatically in a life or death situation.

How about carrying with the hammer at half cocked with the safety off?

What advantage does that give you over condition 1? Is it safer? Is it faster to draw and produce a functional firearm?

If the answers are none, no, no than why would you consider it? The gun was designed to be carried condition 1, it's safe to be carried as such and practice flipping the safety off is important, if it's not comfortable carry a DA firearm.

It takes precisely zero nanoseconds longer to put shots on target from Condition One carry than it does from Condition Zero. Unless, of course, one's mind is incapable of teaching the body to do more than one thing at a time (e.g., walk and chew gum, bring one's arm up while wiping off the safety with the thumb, post and think).

Ken

It takes precisely zero nanoseconds longer to put shots on target from Condition One carry than it does from Condition Zero. Unless, of course, one's mind is incapable of teaching the body to do more than one thing at a time (e.g., walk and chew gum, bring one's arm up while wiping off the safety with the thumb, post and think).

Ken

Seriously, I can't post and think at the same time, I usually post then think...[wink]

Because I'm left handed and it only has a safety on the right side.

I replied to your question already, and I asked you how having the hammer at half cocked does you any favors? What does it do to improve speed of draw/ease of functionality, safety or reliability. To my knowledge the setup you listed above doesn't do any of those things so why do it? Get an Ambi safety or a lefty safety for your 1911 and have the correct setup for your pistol rather than using a carry setup that doesn't do you any favors.

How is cocking the hammer easier than flipping a wrong handed safety?

ETA: Please if I'm in the wrong here somebody correct me but I don't know of any reason this would be a good way to carry a 1911, to my knowledge it wasn't designed to be carried this way so why do it?

Because I'm left handed and it only has a safety on the right side.

No excuse. Either flick the safety off with your left thumb, or get an ambi safety installed.
Being a lefty myself, safety and slide release are easy. It's the mag release I have trouble with!

Single actions like 1911, I carry cocked and locked.
Double action only, no need for a safety.
da/sa like my SIG 229, I generally decock so 1st pull is da.

I don't like external safeties except on something like a 1911.

Back
Top Bottom