• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Replacing an AR upper

Have a friend that asked me about setting up a thermal imaging scope on his AR. He has a standard A-2 rifle with the carry handle and does not want to mount the scope on the carry handle. I suggested just replacing the upper with another complete flat top upper from PSA and be done with it. Then he could have both if he wanted to change it back.
Now you go to the page at PSA and there are a Hundred of them... What is a decent deal without spending a ton of money?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html

If you're looking for a budget upper check out Hardened Arms, I've had very good experience with a couple uppers from them. Impressed enough to sign up for a dealer account(I can price stuff out for you but you can also order direct).

Radical makes budget parts but I've never used their stuff. Ghost does too but I'm having an issue with a 300blk upper from them, I haven't investigated it so not sure if it's ammo or their chamber that's an issue.

Also consider waiting for the next holiday sale from Primary Arms, they usually run great deals.

Have a friend that asked me about setting up a thermal imaging scope on his AR. He has a standard A-2 rifle with the carry handle and does not want to mount the scope on the carry handle. I suggested just replacing the upper with another complete flat top upper from PSA and be done with it. Then he could have both if he wanted to change it back.
Now you go to the page at PSA and there are a Hundred of them... What is a decent deal without spending a ton of money?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html

a deal is relative really.... you can buy the cheapest shit out there or find a good/great deal on some better stuff.
Whats the end use hog hunting?
There are some great deals out there and for those vendors who understand a upper is not a regulated item and MA law does not dictate uppers as they are not firearms and its worth it to find the vendors who still sell un regulated pieces of metal and ship then as such.

Now of course what you attach the upper to can play in the end result of what laws and regs it falls under.

Another option is to just buy a stripped upper receiver and swap out the current A2 parts.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with a few Primary Arms Freedom line uppers. I have heard less than stellar reviews of their PTAC stuff. If you are spending the money on a thermal scope, you don't want to cheap out on the upper.

Ar15.com equipment exchange is where I find my slightly used uppers for good prices.

Back
Top Bottom