• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Replacement stock, Mossberg 500 20GA

Helo all, looking for a replacement stock for my Mossberg 500 20 GA. The LOP is too long, especially if I've got on more than a sweatshirt.

I looked at Boyd’s, but the LOP is basically the same
I looked at Hougue, but the LOP is either 14” or 12”, i.e too long or too short.
I am leaning toward the Magpul SGA, but then I would have a plastic stock and a wood forend (Magpul does not make a 500 forend).

Any suggestions? Any gunsmiths that do this sort of thing? Thank you.

What are you using the gun for?

Swapping the stock on a shotgun like a 500 shouldn't require gunsmithing unless you're trying to have the gun fit to you for trap, skeet, sporting clays, or upland hunting. If you're going to keep the gun around for home defense or practical shotgun matches, just go with a collapsible stock and do the install yourself.

I did the magpul sga for my 870. Plastic camo forend and black plastic stock Way more comfortable to shoot over the thumbhole setup that came with the gun. no gunsmith needed. Jim

Is it synthetic or wood?
I’ve cut down four stocks on a mitre saw. Synthetic stocks are simple. Wood stocks require a good, sharp blade and take your time so the blade cuts and doesn’t burn. Most recoil pads can be trimmed down with either a sander or dremel tool, or both if needed.

The Magpul forends are nice but their SGA stock is excellent. I have on both my 590’s. I run mine with no spacers for shortest LOP possible and they’re are near perfect. it is bullshit that Magpul doesn’t include a QD mount and the one they sell allows rotation of the swivel. Other than those minor grievances the SGA is a win.

Helo all, looking for a replacement stock for my Mossberg 500 20 GA. The LOP is too long, especially if I've got on more than a sweatshirt.

I looked at Boyd’s, but the LOP is basically the same
I looked at Hougue, but the LOP is either 14” or 12”, i.e too long or too short.
I am leaning toward the Magpul SGA, but then I would have a plastic stock and a wood forend (Magpul does not make a 500 forend).

Any suggestions? Any gunsmiths that do this sort of thing? Thank you.
how are you figuring out the LOP is to long.
Often its the grip to trigger length that sucks.
Have you tried the 12" stock?
Want to keep your matching wood install something like this on it

Last edited:
I haven’t tried the the 12” stock, but I used my AR to simulate a 12”LOP, and it seemed too short. My Rem 700 had a LOP of ~13.25, and that just seemed more comfortable than the Mossberg. I’ll check the finger to trigger tomorrow.

how are you figuring out the LOP is to long.
Often its the grip to trigger length that sucks.
Have you tried the 12" stock?
Want to keep your matching wood install something like this on it
I have determined grip to trigger length sucks. In order to get a finger on the trigger, I am too far forward, and do not get a full palm/finger grip on the stock, I’m basically half gripping wit three fingers. if I move it back th where the stock has palm indentations, I get a full grip, but cannot reach the trigger. So I need to address that as well. Maybe the SGA stock solves both?

I have determined grip to trigger length sucks. In order to get a finger on the trigger, I am too far forward, and do not get a full palm/finger grip on the stock, I’m basically half gripping wit three fingers. if I move it back th where the stock has palm indentations, I get a full grip, but cannot reach the trigger. So I need to address that as well. Maybe the SGA stock solves both?
I can tell you that grip to trigger length is a pita for me with most rifles/shotguns
So much so I ended up with a few custom ztocks from wenig.
My wife has the "ladies" version on her browning gold and i have a trap version on my 870 but with the grip to trigger length of the ladies.
Call them and talk to them. They have stocks for almost anything.

The mossberg 510 mini and the compact FLEX stock have shorter grip lengths and then you can just add thicker recoil pads or spacers for LOP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom