• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Replacement dog tags

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Hey all...I haven't been able to find my navy dogtags for years. I have no idea what happened to them. I probably lost them over the years of moving. I am looking for somewhere that would replicate these tags for me in the style of the post Viet Nam war era (I was in from 1975-1981). The new standard issue tags don't have the the SSN on them any longer but rather a 10 digit number (I can understand why).

I would actually like to find a place that I could go to that would make these just as the ones I used to have, with the SSN. I don't want to mail order them for obvious reasons as I would need to send my SSN over to someone I couldn't actually see what they were doing with my info.

Any suggestions?

Don't know how official/regulation those dog tags are from the link above to the Dog Tag Builder are. The ones they sell are 4 lines of info.

My real ones from 1965 were only 3 lines:
Last Name, First Name Initial, Middle Initial
Service Number, Branch Of Service, Blood Type
Religion

I keep mine on my key chain. It acts as a form of ID should I lose my keys. They don't rust or break or fade.

Army, 1994-2001. SSN on there plain as day.

We sounded off with our social very loudly, when reporting for chow at Ft Sill in ‘94.

The Armed forces of the United States first invented service numbers in the year 1905 and abolished their use in 1974. There was some transitional time and service branches differed a bit.

Seems a bit stupid to run SSNs on an ID, ANY ID. Hell, even medicare killed off SSNs and issued a alpha/numerical #.

Last edited:
I still have some pieces of my old Navy uniform, mostly Pea Coat, rain jacket and flight jackets...we stenciled last name and SSN on every piece of .mil clothing we had.

The Armed forces of the United States first invented service numbers in the year 1905 and abolished their use in 1974. There was some transitional time and service branches differed a bit.

Seems a bit stupid to run SSNs on an ID, ANY ID. Hell, even medicare killed off SSNs and issued a alpha/numerical #.

It does seem stupid, now. Back before social media had been invented, in the early stages of internet purchases, it was NBD.

My SSAN was my student number in college, too. If you went to pay the bursar, you’d sign in and wait. When they called you up, they did so by loudly shouting your name and social out into the room. No f’s given.

I’m sure they’re not doing that anymore.

I still have some pieces of my old Navy uniform, mostly Pea Coat, rain jacket and flight jackets...we stenciled last name and SSN on every piece of .mil clothing we had.

It’s on my duffelbags too. We’d leave those things stacked all over the place.

I wanted to update you all on my quest...

I mentioned in passing to my wife that I was going to replace my long lost dog tags...she told me to hold on and she left the room.

A few minutes later she came back with a set of dog tags in her hand. I though she had bought me some for Christmas, and decided to give them to me early.

She said she had had them in her jewelry box for over 35 years and because I never mentioned losing them that she hadn't given it a second thought.

Those tags are one of the few things I have left connecting me to my navy service. My wife made my Christmas....I guess that's why I've kept her for all these 38+ years.

Back
Top Bottom