Repeal the Assault Weapons Ban in 2018

So - now, for the first time, Mass allows "early voting", which means you can request a ballot be mailed to your residence, in advance of the election. This is not an absentee ballot, which requires that you actually be out of state on election day.

Can we organize an effort to:

1) Get an AWB repeal on the 2018 ballot by getting the required signatures,

2) Use the new "early voting" option to organize a convenient get-out-the-vote campaign, targeting the 450K+ gun owners in Massachusetts, many of whom simply won't drive the polls, but might be convinced to mail in a ballot, if we help them apply, and follow up with them that they did it.

Go green
And if anyone challenges it, the early voting might actually be unconstitutional by the state constitution. So this might not be an option in the future.
However I would totally be down for working on this.

In my city, to vote early you go to city hall to the clerks office. Absentee, besides not in state for elections, includes handicapped and shut ins. These will be sent to you.

Get an AWB repeal on the 2018 ballot by getting the required signatures,

This does not have a chance of passing in the DPRM, and that's before you factor in the assistance the other side will get from the mainstream media.

Go green
And if anyone challenges it, the early voting might actually be unconstitutional by the state constitution. So this might not be an option in the future.
However I would totally be down for working on this.

Since early voting generally favors Dems, I doubt that the antis would want to go down this path. But, hey, in this case it would be a win either way.

Great idea by the OP. The trick will be to get the question on the ballot. Need a BUNCH of signatures and then have to fight the people that count them (rubber stamp if they like it, throw signatures out if they don't)

And if the anti's reciprocate and decide to start their own ballot initiatives?

Look at the shit they're currently pulling off in CA.

Last thing we need right now is for that to catch on here.

I feel better about it's chances as a ballot initiative instead of taking through the legislature.

We would get crushed in a statewide referendum, better to lean on legislators who, for the most part, understand what a constitutional republic is and want to get re-elected.

look what happened to the ballot initiative to roll the income tax back; the legislature ignored it and nothing could be done, unless we vote the critters out of Bacon hill.

We would get crushed in a statewide referendum, better to lean on legislators who, for the most part, understand what a constitutional republic is and want to get re-elected.

This.

There's about 350,000 M*******s with carry permits. Mass has a population of about 6,745,000. 350,000 divided by 6,745,000 = 5.19% of the population of Mass. The way to push back against crappy state gun laws is in the legislature and in courts, preferably Federal courts.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...crease-seen/mru1o8yuwM9MiMuG1GRd6O/story.html

Use the other side's tactics?

Purchase a mailing / calling list of likely gun owners (subscribers to certain magazines, possessing certain licenses, etc.).

We have a couple years. Reach out to each and every one by phone, snail mail and email.

Make sure each one understands what has been going on, including the fact that their lifetime FID is a pretty decoration now and will not keep them from going to jail when the ambulance arrives to answer your chest pains call. (However, you can get free ObamaCare in prison, including sex changes!)

The takeaway here is, instead of putting the info out there to be found, send the info directly to the people that are affected by all this crap.

And perhaps hire a furry coyote to visit Hillary on visiting day at Club Fed.

Use the other side's tactics?

Purchase a mailing / calling list of likely gun owners (subscribers to certain magazines, possessing certain licenses, etc.).

We have a couple years. Reach out to each and every one by phone, snail mail and email.

Make sure each one understands what has been going on, including the fact that their lifetime FID is a pretty decoration now and will not keep them from going to jail when the ambulance arrives to answer your chest pains call. (However, you can get free ObamaCare in prison, including sex changes!)

The takeaway here is, instead of putting the info out there to be found, send the info directly to the people that are affected by all this crap.

And perhaps hire a furry coyote to visit Hillary on visiting day at Club Fed.

So lie about everything, collude, make up astroturf organizations and leech off of a corporate sugar daddy for funds?

I have a few issues with this:

A) I think either the AG or the Sec of State, Healy or Galvin, has to cerify and approve it to let be on the ballot
B) The legislature has shown its willingness to toss out ballot questions when passed.

Just this week DeLeo said if Q 4 passes they will essentially gut the law in the legislature anyway

Not sure if anybody remembers this, but remember the seatbelt question? It was a question to REPEAL the law, so a NO was a YES and a YES was a NO, everybody voted NO thinking it meant to get rid of the seatbelt law, when in fact it was NO to repeal it.
Perhaps we can word the question that way?
I think because of that fiasco, the state has done a much better job explaining what a yes and no vote means for each question, but it could work.

Last edited:
I am serious. Getting it on the ballot is the easy part - all we need is certified signatures. And if it didn't pass the first time, I'd keep tying, over and over, until it did. The legislature may refuse to enact it, but that is their issue. This is a good way to educate the public also. We may find we have more support than we think.

Last I checked, Maura decides what ballot questions are allowed. Have you acquired some kind of blackmail on her because that would really come in handy.

2) Use the new "early voting" option to organize a convenient get-out-the-vote campaign, targeting the 450K+ gun owners in Massachusetts, many of whom simply won't drive the polls, but might be convinced to mail in a ballot, if we help them apply, and follow up with them that they did it.

So let me get this straight... the people who are supposed to be so outraged about the AWB cannot be bothered to get off their lazy asses and drive to the polls on one of the weekdays or weekend days for two entire weeks before election day to vote it down?!?!? In that case they deserve the ban.

Never happen, until the current corrupt POS politicians are removed. We need freedom loving politicians, not control overlords

Wasn't their a similar effort to remove the tolls? And that got completely shafted. I think they got the signatures, but think it was blocked from the ballot for some reason

Begin by stopping referring to them as assault weapons.
Hmm, remember when the citizens voted to lower the State income tax? It passed and your legislators gave us the finger and refused to lower it. So much for the will of the people. You do realize as a conservative gun owner we have taxation without representation?

look what happened to the ballot initiative to roll the income tax back; the legislature ignored it and nothing could be done, unless we vote the critters out of Bacon hill.

Hmm, remember when the citizens voted to lower the State income tax? It passed and your legislators gave us the finger and refused to lower it. So much for the will of the people. You do realize as a conservative gun owner we have taxation without representation?

You guys are really keyed into what's going on in your home state huh? The tax rate has indeed been dropping .05% / year since 2002 and will hit 5% again in 2018 (from 5.85%)

You guys are really keyed into what's going on in your home state huh? The tax rate has indeed been dropping .05% / year since 2002 and will hit 5% again in 2018 (from 5.85%)
the referendum was passed in 2000 and 3 yrs later the tax rate was supposed to be 5%, not in 2018. The legislature ignored the will of the people .
Massachusetts Income Tax Rate Reduction Initiative, Question 4 (2000)
Voting on taxes
Taxes.jpg
Ballot measures
By state
By year
Not on ballot
[show]Local

The Massachusetts Income Tax Rate Reduction Initiative, also known as Question 4 was on the November 7, 2000 election ballot in Massachusetts as an initiated state statute. It was approved.

The initiative proposed a law that would lower the state personal income tax to 5%.
Election results
Question 4 (Income Tax Rate Reduction)
Result Votes Percentage
Approved Yes 1,541,771 56.40%
No 1,055,181 38.60%

Official results via: The Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth
Text of measure
Ballot question

The question on the ballot was:

Do you approve of a law summarized below, on which no vote was taken by the Senate or the House of Representatives before May 3, 2000?

A NO VOTE would make no change in the state income tax laws.

A YES VOTE would reduce the state personal income tax rate in steps over three years to 5%.[1][2]

Summary

The official ballot summary for Question 4 was:

The proposed law would repeal the law setting the state personal income tax rate on Part B taxable income (such as wages and salaries), which was 5.95% as of September 1 1999, and would set the rate at 5.6% for tax year 2001, 5.3% for tax year 2002, and 5% for tax year 2003 and after. If the legislature set a lower rate for any of those years, that lower rate would apply.

The proposed law stated that if any of its parts were declared invalid, the other parts would remain in effect.[

Back
Top Bottom