• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Repeal of AWB/ Mag limits?

Dc_design

NES Member
Hello everyone,

This maybe a naive question and my apologies if this is something talked about many times over, but has the NES community ever attempted to get a petition going to start the repeal of the AWB or Mag limit?

It seems like a fair deal of the forum talk is centered around what is legal, what isn't, is this pre ban, can I own, ect. With the laws so vague and, in my and many peoples opinion, utterly point less maybe it is something we can get moving? I mean if every NES member has five 2A supporter friends I'd imagine we can get some decent numbers.

Thanks,
Devin

Hello everyone,

This maybe a naive question and my apologies if this is something talked about many times over, but has the NES community ever attempted to get a petition going to start the repeal of the AWB or Mag limit?

It seems like a fair deal of the forum talk is centered around what is legal, what isn't, is this pre ban, can I own, ect. With the laws so vague and, in my and many peoples opinion, utterly point less maybe it is something we can get moving? I mean if every NES member has five 2A supporter friends I'd imagine we can get some decent numbers.

Thanks,
Devin
It's not often that I see something on this forum that leaves me speechless.

Last edited:
If every NES member had five pro-2a friends, then NES would have six times more members.

IBTL.

There are over 5 million voting age people in MA, and only about 300,000 licensed gun owners. We are a tiny minority in this state, so the legislature can, for the most part, safely ignore us.

1x6ax.gif

I'll sign it. Send it over. [laugh]

Hey it's cool man. Nice thought and + one for your heart being in the right place.
Stay green and don't thin your skin.

Find a billionaire

Have them hire an army of lawyers and lobbyis and buy women's magazines and local newspapers to put out educational material aimed at cause whore soccer moms.

Wait a decade

And there you have it

Really the best thing to do is take family and friends shooting to counter the othering by the press and normalize the activity in general public consciousness.

The fair coverage of shooting sports by tv shows like Chronicle on channel 5 and some radio news shows help too.

The public needs to understand gun clubs are no different than golf driving ranges.

Oh and join Comm2A and GOAL. The court and legislative battles are fought by them.

Last edited:
I'll sign it. Send it over. [laugh]

Hey it's cool man. Nice thought and + one for your heart being in the right place.
Stay green and don't thin your skin.

^^^THIS^^^

Great topic to bring up! You guys that are Debbie Downers....don't tell the kid it can't be done, ask him how to get it done. Brainstorm! Talk about it....or not. I'm in NH so have no skin in the game

I guess my thinking was that according to Mass amendment 48, in order to get a new law/ amendment to the ballot you need 10 signatures initially to have it reviewed by the AG. Then you need an additional 64,750 signatures to get this sent to legislature. If approved by the legislature, you need 10,792 more signatures and it get placed on the next Mass ballot.

The latest figures i can find place the number of Mass class A LTC holders at 378,642 for 2015. Considering this does not include, class B, FID, pro 2A people with out a license, and people that cleaning up laws might appeal to, it doesn't seem that far fetched. I understand there are 4 million voters in MA but considering most of the polls I see place support of 2A around 50% who is to say it can't be done?

I will continue to pay insane prices for pre bans guns and mags for the time being and do research I guess...

The only thing that is really going to help is a once-and-for-all ruling from SCOTUS that guns like the AR and AK, as well as handguns with magazines over 10 rounds, are 'firearms in common use' in the scope of Heller and that AWBs are therefore unconstitutional. Even then the Commonwealth would probably fight it tooth and nail.

I guess my thinking was that according to Mass amendment 48, in order to get a new law/ amendment to the ballot you need 10 signatures initially to have it reviewed by the AG. Then you need an additional 64,750 signatures to get this sent to legislature. If approved by the legislature, you need 10,792 more signatures and it get placed on the next Mass ballot.

The latest figures i can find place the number of Mass class A LTC holders at 378,642 for 2015. Considering this does not include, class B, FID, pro 2A people with out a license, and people that cleaning up laws might appeal to, it doesn't seem that far fetched. I understand there are 4 million voters in MA but considering most of the polls I see place support of 2A around 50% who is to say it can't be done?

I will continue to pay insane prices for pre bans guns and mags for the time being and do research I guess...

Anyone can have a bill submitted by a constituent. Have fun when it fails though. It won't even make it out of committee.

ETA: I realize you're thinking referendum... remember this is the same state where the shithead voters voted against things like repealing the income tax and if I remember correctly, they even voted against rolling it back a little on a different occasion.

-Mike

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Devin
asking lawmakers to fix stupid or vague laws is asking for trouble.

We obviously break a metric ton of balls here, but you're right, there exists a process to get that accomplished. I'm in NH now, but when I lived down there I tried to make rallies and donate when I could to who I felt were trying to enact change. On paper, it looks good, but the reality of it happening is minimal. I guess I'm just pessimistic when it comes to Mass and gun rights.

Really the best thing to do is take family and friends shooting to counter the othering by the press and normalize the activity in general public consciousness.

Oh and join Comm2A and GOAL. The court and legislative battles are fought by them.

This above. Buy an AR, AK, whatever the latest scary gun is and invite friends to the range and let them try shooting. It's not for everyone, but change minds one at a time.

As far as putting it on the ballot, well it wouldn't fun watching it go down in flames with the moonbattery of Massachusetts. Want to convince yourself? Find the closest liberal and try to have a civil conversation about guns, and see where that gets you. They think all gun owners are knuckle dragging neanderthals who can't leave the house without a bible and gun, so yeah.

I would imagine it would have to be as worthless a conversation as a gay man trying to reason with a conservative.

That's our society. Stubborn, ignorant idiots. Get used to it.

asking lawmakers to fix stupid or vague laws is asking for trouble.

In MA you have nothing to worry about because the system is so rifle with corruption and incompetence that unless the powerbrokers want something really bad, it's difficult to get it passed. The nannies passed a "bomb components bill" a couple years ago and it took them like 3 years of crying to get it passed despite pretty much unilateral support. (cuz nobody needs anything that could make a "bomb").

-Mike

So just for clarity, I own a fair collection from 1911s to ARs to a PS90, and have taught about 30-35 of my more liberal friends to shoot over the years. That said about 15 of them liked it so much they are now licensed gun owners. I fully agree, exposure and desensitizing people to firearms is key and I will continue to do so as I find most people who are opposed to firearms have never handled them.

So just for clarity, I own a fair collection from 1911s to ARs to a PS90, and have taught about 30-35 of my more liberal friends to shoot over the years. That said about 15 of them liked it so much they are now licensed gun owners. I fully agree, exposure and desensitizing people to firearms is key and I will continue to do so as I find most people who are opposed to firearms have never handled them.

The two best things you can do as a gun owner in MA is to convert people (particularly nons) and donate to an org like Comm2A and GOAL.

-Mike

What'r ya doin teachin liberals how to shoot for?[wink]

Seriously though. Dont go making a bunch of "Im a gun owner. I keep a revolver in the house just in case. No one needs anything more than that." types. Non's? Sure take them shooting. Point them towards a BFS class. Walk them through the process. Offer to pay for their application fee. Lib's? I'd rather have them unarmed.

Back
Top Bottom