• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Repairing old BB guns

I have two BB guns from the 1960's and 70's that no longer shoot. One runs on CO2 and the other is a lever pump. Seems like they can't hold air pressure. They are otherwise in good condition.

Does anyone know a gunsmith or place that might be able to get them working? They're sentimental to my family.

Not an (air)gunsmith, and I don't play one on TV.

It should not be rocket surgery - it's likely the seals have dried out, and the first step would be a few drops of oil on the seals, as a first step. If you try it, yourself, watch out for springs that are under compression, if you open up anything, both from an "AH! My eye!" point of view, and from having to find springs that have gone a-flyin'.

After my father passed last spring I found an old S&W 78g .22 pellet pistol I hadn't seen in many years. He bought it in the mid 1970s, and it was the first "real" gun I ever shot. I looked online and was surprised to find videos and written tutorials that showed how to disassemble it, replace the worn out old o-rings, and then get it back together. Reseal kits are available for this model from several different sources. I went for the one with the best recommendations, and even though it was the most expensive, I can say Dad's S&W will now hold pressure for months at a time! I've since resealed a Daisy 777, and have another few old timers on the bench waiting for parts, including the Crosman 766 I got for Christmas 40 years ago!

I'd search a little to determine availability of seal kits for your airguns, and the level of difficulty in replacing them. It seems like seal kits are available for most popular air guns, and the price is generally pretty reasonable, especially when a gun has sentimental value.

Here are a few pics of the 78g:

IMG_3325.jpg
Dad's pistol along with the paper copy of a 4473 from The Fair in Spencer, MA.

IMG_3320(1).jpg

Only one of the old seals was still in one piece after removal! These were all replaced along with the exhaust valve which actually lets the pressurized air into the chamber. One simple special tool was required, and it was created from a flat bit with about 3 minutes of Dremel time.

IMG_3319.jpg

Pistol disassembled. This was a pretty easy process between the videos and articles I found online.

Not sure what brand they are, but a quick internet search shows there a number of websites that sell replacement parts for all types. Good luck.

After my father passed last spring I found an old S&W 78g .22 pellet pistol I hadn't seen in many years. He bought it in the mid 1970s, and it was the first "real" gun I ever shot. I looked online and was surprised to find videos and written tutorials that showed how to disassemble it, replace the worn out old o-rings, and then get it back together. Reseal kits are available for this model from several different sources. I went for the one with the best recommendations, and even though it was the most expensive, I can say Dad's S&W will now hold pressure for months at a time! I've since resealed a Daisy 777, and have another few old timers on the bench waiting for parts, including the Crosman 766 I got for Christmas 40 years ago!

I'd search a little to determine availability of seal kits for your airguns, and the level of difficulty in replacing them. It seems like seal kits are available for most popular air guns, and the price is generally pretty reasonable, especially when a gun has sentimental value.

Here are a few pics of the 78g:

View attachment 694112
Dad's pistol along with the paper copy of a 4473 from The Fair in Spencer, MA.

View attachment 694113

Only one of the old seals was still in one piece after removal! These were all replaced along with the exhaust valve which actually lets the pressurized air into the chamber. One simple special tool was required, and it was created from a flat bit with about 3 minutes of Dremel time.

View attachment 694110

Pistol disassembled. This was a pretty easy process between the videos and articles I found online.
I have the 79G (.177) that I bought mid-late 1970s at Ivanhoe. It also needs to be rebuilt. Someday . . .

I have the 79G (.177) that I bought mid-late 1970s at Ivanhoe. It also needs to be rebuilt. Someday . . .

It's well worth the time and money! My 78g is very well balanced, and feels much more like a real target pistol than a CO2 airgun. There is a guy on eBay who offers a rebuild service for $78.50, which is still a lot less than the value of even a non-working 79g. I've never dealt with him, but I know he's been offering this service for a while now.

Once I got the 78g up and working I decided I need a 79g in .177. Still haven't found the right one yet, but I did pick up an unfired Daisy 790. Once S&W stopped carrying these airguns, they sold the rights to Daisy, who made copies that are close, but there are more plastic parts on them. The 780 is in .22 and the 790 is .177.

Daisy 790 #2.jpg

383-2.jpg

I have two BB guns from the 1960's and 70's that no longer shoot. One runs on CO2 and the other is a lever pump. Seems like they can't hold air pressure. They are otherwise in good condition.

Does anyone know a gunsmith or place that might be able to get them working? They're sentimental to my family.
Make model will help.
Older airgun smiths are fading.
A&B aircguns , Archer Air guns , Mac1 air guns, Baker air guns have all been great for parts and service. Not much in New England that I know of.
Ebay has a decent supply of kits.
Problem with many older air guns is internal corrosion.
If your local to Hanover MA I can help out. Im not a air gun smith but been rehabbing and rebuilding my 60s to 70s vintage crosman 140/1400 for 30 years or so.

Pretty straight forward rebuild on these. By a extra kit.

It's well worth the time and money! My 78g is very well balanced, and feels much more like a real target pistol than a CO2 airgun. There is a guy on eBay who offers a rebuild service for $78.50, which is still a lot less than the value of even a non-working 79g. I've never dealt with him, but I know he's been offering this service for a while now.

Once I got the 78g up and working I decided I need a 79g in .177. Still haven't found the right one yet, but I did pick up an unfired Daisy 790. Once S&W stopped carrying these airguns, they sold the rights to Daisy, who made copies that are close, but there are more plastic parts on them. The 780 is in .22 and the 790 is .177.

View attachment 694137

View attachment 694138
I bought mine new and even still have the box. It's been sitting >30 yrs needing a rebuild. It's one of those "I'll get to it someday" projects, just not high on the list. My RWS 52, on the other hand, needs to be shipped to a professional for repair.

There used to be a guy out near Granby that refurbished air rifles. I sent him my childhood Crosman 760 and he did a great job with it for short money. Don’t recall the name. Google maybe

Dennis Baker airguns, in Mt. Victory,Ohio. is a good repairman. made my Benjamin shoot like new, for reasonable $

You want to send them to a guy named rich Shar. His number is 330 853 9916. His work is spot on ! He has done a few things for me and I have not been disappointed with his workmanship or prices for that matter ! 🇺🇸

Back
Top Bottom