• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Repaired and Refinished a SC-B stock for my M1 carbine

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I recently got a second M1 carbine so my son and I can shoot together. It is an ex-CMP IBM in SG. Problem to me was that it came in a M2 potbelly stock. I like the feel of the slimmer M1 stocks, and I found one on eBay - a M1 IBM contract stock made by Sprague-Charleton (SC-B). Stock came stripped, chipped, and cracked; but had clear cartouches and only cost $43.

I refinished the stock myself, gluing an antique piece of yellow pine from my house, trimming and sanding. The crack was stable so I just used super glue gel and sawdust. I used 4 coats of cut BLO, 3 coats Minwax Dark Walnut, three coats Winwax Gunstock, a final coat of BLO, and a top coat of Howards feed and wax. 4X steel wool between coats. Not bad for a first finishing effort and only cost me $68 total.

MS

I shot it for the first time Sunday in the M2 stock. One mag of 15 plus 10. I put the last 5 onto the Chihuahua on the kid's Zombie target. 25 yards, elbow on the table, '71 Lake City ammo.

I've no reason to expect any worse with this stock. Perfect fit as it was made for IBM.

Probably the best called shots of my life; 5 rounds into 2 x 3.5 cm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom