• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renting Guns at Ranges

Question... I've never been to any other range (in MA) that rents hand guns to shoot at their ranges. For those of you that have, do they require that you already possess a license? Or will they rent to anyone as long as they're over 21?

Boston Gun Range will rent to anyone with ID. If you arrive with a gun, they want to see an FID or LTC as appropriate. If you're going to shoot their guns all you need is a driver's license and cash.

Lynne, when you say "any other range", you mean, other than Bob's Tactical, right?

In adition to Bob's Tactical and the Boston Gun Range (of Worcester), the American Firearms School lets you rent guns.

I don't know the minimum age for any of these places. The probably all asked for my license when I rented, and may have checked my birthdate at that point.

It's not in MA, but the Manchester firing line in (you guessed it) Manchester rents handguns, shotguns, AR's, AK's and various assorted Class III stuff. They don't ask for a permit, but they do require a driver's license or state ID.

Jeremiah said:
Lynne, when you say "any other range", you mean, other than Bob's Tactical, right?

In adition to Bob's Tactical and the Boston Gun Range (of Worcester), the American Firearms School lets you rent guns.

I don't know the minimum age for any of these places. The probably all asked for my license when I rented, and may have checked my birthdate at that point.

Yes, other than Bob's, Jeremiah. I'm trying to find out if you HAVE to have a LTC to rent a hand gun. Seems there's a question about the license issued to the range by the state and the wording of such. I'm just curious....

Lynne, the law allows unlicensed people to shoot, "under the supervision" of any licensee (LTC-holder). That seems to be the premise on which the rental ranges operate.

However, as we both know . . . in MA any license issued for anything can invoke whatever restrictions they like to and there isn't much anyone can do unless they have very deep pockets to fight the legal battle. And even if it isn't against the law, I wouldn't give even a 50-50 chance of winning against a "more restrictive license" in our court system!

I believe the S&W range in Springfield also rents gun. Dunno what the requirements are -- I've got a passel of guns in the safes downstairs just pining to be taken out and shot, so the last thing I need to do is to cheat on them with some cheap floozy of a rental gun [wink]

M1911 said:
I've got a passel of guns in the safes downstairs just pining to be taken out and shot, so the last thing I need to do is to cheat on them with some cheap floozy of a rental gun [wink]
laugh.gif

M1911 said:
I believe the S&W range in Springfield also rents gun. Dunno what the requirements are -- I've got a passel of guns in the safes downstairs just pining to be taken out and shot, so the last thing I need to do is to cheat on them with some cheap floozy of a rental gun [wink]

And I'm sure they apprecaite your piousness in the matter M. [lol]

Back
Top Bottom