• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rennaisance wax

LOVE IT!!

What's up everyone.. decided to throw a coat of ren wax on my polytech today before work and decided to share my experience with it.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with it, but for those who are not. It is used in museums all over the world to preserve all sorts of different finishes. I decided to get some to try, and I'm really surprised by how good this stuff works! I havnt put any on the wood yet, but I hit one side and the dust cover of my ak, and it really does give it a barrier. I'm loving it!

Here are some before and after pictures...I condensed them into one pic, on top is the before..middle has the wax on..and bottom is was buffed off! I feel it gives it a nice sheen and it doesnt show any fingerprints!!

View attachment 336717
View attachment 336718
[/QUOTELOVE THEVSTUFF!!!!,

I use the appropriate color Kiwi shoe polish on my wood parts. My top line shotguns get it as a standard treatment. I use Filson's wax on metal, only because I have that in stock. 50-50 carnuba and bees wax

I love Ren Wax. I use it on Randall knives, especially the ones I don't use.

Never occurred to me to use it on guns, though. Probably a great idea for the Webleys I don't take out very much.

Good tools deserve the best possible anti-rust prevention, especially if they aren't being used often enough.

If anyone is looking for a less than museum quality rust prevention product that isn't as labor intensive to apply, I've had good results with this:

BA30002.jpg

I've had the original rag about 20 years, and still haven't gone through a small jar of refill grease. Hand tools, ski edges, guns - whatever. Unless it's a very highly polished surface, I can't even see it.

Good alternative to oil for rust prevention. I use it on everything.
Polytech? couldn’t just say AK? Go ahead and “rub it in” pun intended. My jar of ren wax is worth more than my Norinco lol

Polytech? couldn’t just say AK? Go ahead and “rub it in” pun intended. My jar of ren wax is worth more than my Norinco lol

Say polytech. Because every single polytech imported was a blued gun. If I said " ak ".. I'd have a million people in here losing there shit bout me waxing a "wasr" "arsenal" "romanian" ak etc etc... most people know polytech are blued guns.

A good shape norinco is still worth keeping rust free!! Put that ren wax all over and rub it in!

I’ve used it with good result. Don’t forget to take the stock and butt pad off the gun and wax the end grain.
I think it helps repel water when hunting in the rain and snow.

Boris say "Wax your AK everyday, because it make comrade Maura Healey very angry!".
"No more AK, She as happy as pig in sh_t!". [smile]

Not a problem. Do what makes you happy. I see a stamped sheet metal gun with rivets and I don’t think wax and buffing, I’m wondering where the patina is.
I agree. An AK is cheap stamped sheet steel that's riveted together. However, if I paid $2k for a gun (which I do), that's baby will be treated like gold.

I think it helps repel water when hunting in the rain and snow.
Exactly what I used it for until I got an all weather Henry 44 rifle which is hard chromed and has an industrial polyurethane on the stock and forend.

And here I though that we are talking about alternatives to Brazillian waxing ...

Earlier wax polishes based on beeswax and carnauba wax either contained acids or became acidic over time. Renaissance Wax is based on more stable microcrystalline waxes refined from crude oil.[6]

It seems like this may apply better to wood and bare steel, than painted surfaces (for other than keeping them shiny) real AK paint is more durable than powdercoat and should not scratch or need oil.

I can see this being good for a museum piece that never needs to function. On AK, assuming that you want to keep it functioning, lubing and replacing old oil is a good procedure. May be not so much on AK, but old oil eventually does gunk up, so keeping moving parts dust free and lubed is a maintenance job for a functioning firearm that may be expected to be used occasionally.

I was not aware that carnuba wax eventually became acidic. I used to know a person who apprenticed for old skool violin making, and that expensive wax was a staple along with few other tricks. But those were pieces that were used, not stored indefinately with minum contact, so that may change things.

Back
Top Bottom