1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Renewed CDL

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by paracarry, Jun 20, 2019.

1. paracarry

paracarry NES Member

So I went Tuesday to renew my Drivers license, CDL A w/hazmat/tanker. Prior to this of course I had to have the TSA background check I was also due for a DOT physical and then had to do the self certification. I also had to take the hazmat test again for the last time, next time I need to renew I will be retired and go back to a class D. Brought all the required paper work. I used my drivers license LTC, birth certificate, had to use my W-2 since I had laminated my social security card. I also made a list of the names of women I slept with while in the service stationed overseas, and the countries they were from just in case they asked. I see the point of all this documentation just seems a little overboard. Just my 2 cents.

2. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

It is out of Control I let my Hazmat and tanker go as I don’t drive much anymore and never any tank work. I just keep the CDL as something to fall back on or maybe when I retire some day I will drive as a local dirt dummy a day or two.
    They keep making it harder and harder.

Arklight likes this.
  3. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

all that for YOU.
    then some states just give illegal aliens a free pass for a driver's license.

drgelinas, looser38 and W.E.C like this.
  4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

I gave up my CDL 2 + years ago when I moved my license up to NH. I always said I'd keep it for a fall back, but then realized I dont ever want to go back to that. I was fine with my decision while at the RMV, butnhad some anxiety about it for a few days after.

W.E.C likes this.
  5. rcoolbaugh

rcoolbaugh

Same here .... I dropped mine 2 years ago also, more trouble than it was worth and I'm getting too old for that!

DitchDigger and grizquad like this.
  6. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Huh??? Seriously?
    Why could they possibly need that info? Do they ask about all sex partners, hypothetically including men or sheep?

7. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

only comment/question i have is why do people laminate their social security card when they tell you not to. not a recent decree, that has been in place since laminating was invented. was at the lottery office once and they were giving the guy in front of me, while trying to claim a hefty winning sum, a hard time over his laminated ss card. not criticizing but inquiring minds want to know. why....jeezus why?

8. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

Yeah, I hadn't used it in almost 9 years at that point. The whole new medical card thing was the #1 reason for starting thinking about letting it go.

Ballsy move considering I had just taken a new position at my company with no ability to step back if things didnt work out.

9. paracarry

paracarry NES Member

That was suppose to be sarcastic on my part. Didn't think I had to put that, and as far as the sheep, as long as the sheep don't tell, (more sarcastic remarks)

10. grizquad

grizquad NES Member

Did the same thing as you! Used to be if you weren't driving, you could let your medical lapse and when you were ready get another physical and your license was always there. After last heart attack, medicals got to be such a PIA and I wasn't driving anymore so with a tear in my eye, I let my CDL A go. Had a commercial license since age 17 in Texas when all you needed to do for driving test was drive a pick up truck!

11. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

When I make the jump south next year, my CDL is gone.

I have not used it in 10 years, to keep the "X" rating is too much of a pain in the arse and expensive, plus the health card BS.

12. capewalk

capewalk NES Member

It's about to get a lot worse. Last time I got my DOT physical I was told that next time may to have to take a sleep study. I forget the exact criteria but I think if your neck size is 17 inches or greater you're going to have to go for it. I'm thinking that is a pretty big percentage of drivers. I'm close so I'm thinking depending on who measures it I might have to go. I have recently dropped some weight so hopefully when I go in 2021 I wont be as on the line as I am now.

13. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

I believe if you self certify as only driving in state you do not need a health card could be wrong. I just go to a clinic pay $70 get the quick physical and card.

14. rcoolbaugh

rcoolbaugh

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/03/22/LIC103 - CDL Self-Certification Form_0.pdf

Non-excepted Interstate (NI)
    All Class A, B, or C privately or self-employed commercial drivers who operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, and are subject to meet the federal medical standard and, therefore, are required to obtain a medical examiner’s certificate  All Class A, B, or C drivers who do not fall under any other category or who have been granted a federal vision or diabetes exemption or a Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE)

Excepted Interstate (EI)  Drivers who operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce but engage exclusively in transportation or operations that are not required to meet all or parts of the federal qualification requirements and are, therefore, not required to obtain a medical examiner’s certificate
    Examples of EI Drivers include: ‒ City, municipal, or state employed Commercial Driver's License holders

Non-excepted Intrastate (NA)  All Class A, B, or C privately or self-employed commercial drivers who only operate in intrastate commerce and are subject to state driver qualification requirements Examples of NA Drivers include: ‒ Drivers 18-21 years of age with a K restriction associated with their license to operate ‒ Drivers 21 and over with a W Restriction associated with their license to operate

Excepted Intrastate (EA)  Drivers who operate in intrastate commerce but engage exclusively in transportation or operations that are not required to meet all or parts of the state driver qualification requirements and are, therefore, not required to obtain a medical examiner’s certificate
    Examples of EA Drivers include: ‒ City, municipal, or state employed Commercial Driver's License holders

15. DitchDigger

DitchDigger NES Member

I gave up my CDL A and all the endorsements and all my hoisting license classifications 2 years ago.
    If I am going to regress it's going to be sitting in the back of the pickup truck with a shovel in my hand.

16. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Last Oct the Nazi clinic nurse (I swear she was a founding member of the Man's Hater Club) only gave me a 6 month ticket even though my BP was below the cutoff. The broad of course didn't tell me until after all of the info was entered on her side or I would have walked out and not paid.

Anyway I've been fighting hi BP for years, not excessive but just over the stupid low limits imposed using my meds. I let the RMV downgrade me this past April to a Class D. I have the option going forward to reinstate the Class A TPX if I get another DOT physical before a year is up. Not sure I GAF any more. The feds want to punish the working man with stupid over regulations anyway. Not sure how the guys needing a Hoisting License are going to make out in all of this. We all are not models of fitness.

I hope the Nazi needs a few truck loads of loam and takes it up the rear in both the cost and under yardage.

17. yanici

yanici NES Member

What are the blood pressure limits for a CDL?

18. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Hook, line and sinker[laugh].
    With the .gov intrusion and overrreach gone out of control there's not much I won't believe these days.

paracarry likes this.
  19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

I did this for the last few years so I didnt have to waste money on a physical I didnt need

20. rommel

rommel NES Member

Last time I had to renew my cdl with hazmat, I had to go through the required background check. I do not agree with it, but ok. So I have to go to some place that the .gov outsourced for the background check and pay the fee. Along with my hazmat renewal, I also had to renew my TWIC card which requires a background check. .Gov gives that task to the same company. I had to get 2 seperate background checks with 2 seperate fees. Same required credentials, same fingerprints, same room in the office, but 2 fees. Apparently, clearing a background check from some authorizing agency is not clearence for that same agency.

21. paracarry

paracarry NES Member

I don't need the TWIC since we load at out own terminal. Everyone has there hand out.

22. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Stage 1 BP 140-159/90-99 Cert period 1 year. I run mid-hi 150's over low to mid 80's . The Nazi said my pressure could go up while driving. Taken 3 times I ranged from 158/80 to 144/80 taken 3 times during the visit. While my PCP has a slight issue with it my cardiologist doesn't bitch too much and he does a 12 lead EKG to go along with my exam.

She gave me a sobriety test I swear to God. Stand on one foot, head back, touch my nose. Each leg.

23. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    I don't have a CDL (see my sig, for some other good ones, though! [laugh]), but I think that pretty soon it will all be robots doing the driving. Maybe not hoisting, though.

24. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

Unlimited as in this line of work you will your face will turn red.

25. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

Depends. Maybe robots will take over long distance terminal to terminal bulk deliveries. As far as getting food on the shelf, you'll still need a slave. I drive a straight job delivering food to restaurants, convenience stores, delis, bakeries warehouses etc.. My weapon of choice is a two-wheeler. I have to stack as many boxes on that as possible Tetris style and drag that thing over snow banks, up and down steps and into coolers and freezers. I have to deal with rude dock workers, receivers and store owners who blame me for everything. It's fun when you fall off the back of the truck too. Fast food workers will be the first to lose their jobs to automation. I think of them as canaries in the coal mine.

26. capewalk

capewalk NES Member

During my very rare trips to mcdonalds I ALWAYS use the kiosk. I've had it up to my nose with rude and incompetent fast food workers. The last time I was there an employee emptying a trash bin sighed when he had to make way for me as I walked towards the bathroom. It made using the kiosk on on that visit particularly enjoyable.

27. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

You should have pooped on the bathroom floor.

28. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

…... Sheep don't tell, but pigs will squeal!

29. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

I have a Cdl class AMPX,I let my Haz- mats go and on my next renewal will go back to a class D with motorcycle endorsement. I hope to never have to drive for a living again. F++k that music!