• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewals of Non-Res permits from Maine or New Hampshire??

Does anyone know what the situation will be for non-resident Maine or New Hampshire permits will be this year? My permits will be expiring in May and I have not received renewals as I expected.

Rome

I'd like to say do a search as this has been beat to shit but Maine no longer requires a non res license however if you are stopped you must declare if carrying.

I did not get a renewal notice in nh, but just sent in my fee and a week later had a new license. no biggie

I'd like to say do a search as this has been beat to shit but Maine no longer requires a non res license however if you are stopped you must declare if carrying.

And technically to carry s firearm within I think 1000' of a school and to carry in national parks in Maine.

Does anyone know what the situation will be for non-resident Maine or New Hampshire permits will be this year? My permits will be expiring in May and I have not received renewals as I expected.

Rome

Rome, I received a NH renewal and application about 5 weeks prior to my birthday at the end of this month. I sent the application back on 3/31/16 and should be receiving the license this week (I hope). The NH application is also available online at:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

And technically to carry s firearm within I think 1000' of a school and to carry in national parks in Maine.

State parks are also a no-no unless you have a non-resident permit.

The law does not otherwise change where a person may carry or who may possess a firearm. It will still be illegal to possess a firearm in the following places, with some very limited exceptions:
  • Courthouses (17-A M.R.S. § 1058)
  • State Parks (12 M.R.S. § 1803(6), (7) and Bureau of Parks and Lands Rules Chapter 1)
  • Acadia National Park (12 M.R.S. § 756)
  • Schools (20-A M.R.S. § 6552)
  • Federal buildings (18 U.S.C. § 930)
  • State Capitol area (25 M.R.S. § 2904 & DPS Rule Chapter 41)
  • Private property when prohibited by the property owner
  • Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. (17-A M.R.S. §1057)
  • Wildlife Sanctuaries (as listed in 12 M.R.S. § 12707)
  • Labor disputes and strikes (32 M.R.S. § 9412(5))
  • Baxter State Park (as prohibited by Rules)
  • Allagash Wilderness Waterway (as prohibited by rules)
There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:
  • Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
  • State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
  • Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
  • Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

Thx. I'm going to give 'em a call. I've got a lot of time planned up in Maine this year and I've got my permit for that state. I was just curious if anyone else had received a renewal notice. I'll dig in a bit further.

R

Yes, I did receive a ME renewal notice last year (Spring IIRC) and submitted it promptly. NH seems to be getting sloppy or overwhelmed, as I got my renewal ~5 weeks before expiration (IIRC they claim they mail them out 8 weeks prior), mailed it the next day and received it 6 weeks later, a week after expiration. The NH form is online, so don't wait, DL and send it in.

Yes, I did receive a ME renewal notice last year (Spring IIRC) and submitted it promptly. NH seems to be getting sloppy or overwhelmed, as I got my renewal ~5 weeks before expiration (IIRC they claim they mail them out 8 weeks prior), mailed it the next day and received it 6 weeks later, a week after expiration. The NH form is online, so don't wait, DL and send it in.

NH sent it 6 weeks later? Maybe I will not receive mine this week as I hoped I would.

I downloaded the app for renewal of Maine permits and it's in the mail today. No biggie. I spend a lot of time up there and just wanted to know if, after their constitutional carry law was passed if a permit was needed. I'll just get mine once again. My NH permit, however, doesn't expire until next year! I misread the date on my birthday to boot. So, I'm good to go there.

Thanks.

Rome

If you want to visit Arcadia National Park and CCW or some other state parks, you still need a ME license. Also if you want to avoid the legal requirement to declare if you are CCW'g and get stopped by LE, you still need a ME license.

For me, that was an easy decision.

Rome, I received a NH renewal and application about 5 weeks prior to my birthday at the end of this month. I sent the application back on 3/31/16 and should be receiving the license this week (I hope). The NH application is also available online at:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

NH sent it 6 weeks later? Maybe I will not receive mine this week as I hoped I would.

I received my NH Pistol license today. Mailed the application out on 3/31, so it only took 16 days. I must be special. [laugh]

Maine gets it right.

Current permit expires on 6-1
Mailed check and application on 5-4
2nd week of May my COP called me to bust my cookies about Maine looking for a character reference. He called me a character all right. [smile]
Today the permit was delivered in the mail.

22 days from mail to wallet. I don't even have the canceled check from the bank yet!!

Yes I know about constitutional carry and have no interest.

Back
Top Bottom